How did Black Friday go?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by samantha681 • Nov 28, 2014.

1. samantha681

samantha681New Member

Threads:
    Anyone find great deals this year?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    For the first time in more than 20 years, I got in on Black Friday. The irony is, despite living down the street from the 2nd largest mall in the US, I did it online. Nordstrom Rack has some incredible deals. I got 3 pairs of shoes, 2 tees, and one pair of slacks for less than $100 with tax.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I managed to get in on a web hosting deal for $.98, but it was not without a lot of hair pulling and some hard feelings. I wasn't the only one that felt that way, but it became clear that it wasn't the scam that it was truly presented as, just a very poorly conceived promotion. Then again, they seem to do something like this every year, so maybe they are prepared for the very hateful words that I'm sure they received all day.

4. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I did all my shopping online and in Canada nonetheless. Up here, Black Friday is a half hearted copy cat version of the American version. On average, the sales aren't anywhere near as mind blowing, but still reasonably good. In all honesty, all I was really in the market for were computer parts and I was able to get quite a few deals that were competitive if not better than what the american sites were offering them for so I'm pleased.

I was also able to take advantage of what was likely a price error at Walmart Canada which was a Roku usb stick or $10 but typically sells for $50 on Amazon.com.

5. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I spent it at home, surfing through amazon and various other retail websites, and did not have to fight crazy people to buy one TV. I ate tons of turkey, and it was a great thanksgiving (in the US, of course). I do your typical couponing and also look up on coupon websites to see if there any other other coupons I can use. I think my black friday was quite peaceful compared to a lot of my American colleagues.

6. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I completely skipped Black Friday and that's the way I like it. I've only shopped on Black Friday a couple of times and I hated it. The stores were so crowded! Plus, it seems everyone is in a rotten mood - they push and shove and just generally behave badly. It just isn't worth it to me to go through all that to save some money. I save just as much, if not more, by shopping year-round through clearance sales and coupons both online and offline.

This year is really tight for money so I'm behind. Normally, I am completely finished with my Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving. I then take that weekend to start decorating the house and getting all the gifts put together and wrapped.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I only went out to the store to grab some personal toiletries on Black Friday, I didn't do any kind of Christmas shopping. I went really early in the morning too, just in case my local drug store was going to experience a black Friday rush. I would not have minded going out shopping if I would have had enough money to really make a day out of it, but I didn't, so I stayed home:).

8. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    I stayed home, there has been nothing invented, made, produced, in the history of all time, no matter how cheap, that is worth me losing an eye over. I find Black Friday scenes embarrassing, whenever I see them, I wish I could do a culling from the gene pool!

9. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I personally didn't go because I hate black friday shopping (I like shopping in solitude and without a billon other people squishing me), and plus I was sick :p My fiancé did go though and he snagged us a new TV that we've been wanting for awhile. When we saw it it was about $300 regular price but we got it for about $180. Pretty sweet if you ask me :p

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Black Friday shopping is something that I just never do. I don't even usually go to the grocery store or even out to eat on that day; just because there is so much traffic and so many crazy people out there looking for that Unlimate Bargain.
    We don't do much Christmas shopping in any case, and require very few things to make us happy; so there is really no reason to be shopping in the middle of all those Christmas shoppers.
    Actually, the whole month of December, and the first week in January , are all a terrible time to be in any kind of a store unless you have to go there for something.
    I even do my grocery shopping early on a Sunday morning, when people are usually geing to church, or sleeping off the Saturday night partying.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It came and it went, just like in any other year. :) I have never paid any attention to it. I simply buy what I need when I need it. Naturally, I enjoy a bargain and haggling, but I can't be bothered hanging around waiting for a special day like Black Friday. For me life moves quickly, and I simply get what I need when I need it. For that purpose I always keep some money in reserve.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ever gone out for Black Friday shopping once and I'm not eager to do it again ever. But I'm very happy to snag some good online deals between Black Friday (some of them were all week even) and Cyber Monday. Didn't have a lot of extra money to spend this year, but I did manage to snag gorgeous holiday cards from shutterfly for just a few dollars, including shipping, as well as some canvas art and free prints. I wasn't really deal hunting or anything, just seeing if any deals were good enough that matched things I was already hoping to get, so I'm happy with the results.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No change with me. I can honestly say that I have never been shopping on Black Friday, and I don't plan on changing that in the future either. I currently don't really have the money to go shopping, on Black Friday, or on any other Friday. But specially this Black Friday - I wasn't going to give the system any of my money over foolishness lol. Luckily, I love in the UK, and we are nowhere near as aggressive as some other part of the world when it comes to Black Friday. So if I did want to go, I have to write a will before going.

14. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I stayed at home and surfed the web looking for deals. There's not much I don't already have, so my wallet (and my stomach) stayed relatively full this year on Thanksgiving. Luckily I didn't buy anything. Our company had our annual dinner a few days after thanksgiving, and I managed to win a new USB flash drive in a lucky draw. I guess I didn't know I needed one until I won it :D

15. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I never go out and fight the crowds on Friday morning. I feel like whatever great sales are happening as door busters are still around later in the month (or they come back) because the economy is so bad right now. I ended up getting a few things online that morning, and then sent my husband and mom out that afternoon for some shoes and pants. Banana Republic was giving pretty decent deals so my husband bought several pairs of pants there - which he needed anyway.

HOnestly, I usually use Black Friday and Cyber Monday to get needs instead of wants because so often it is a great day for clothes. This year I didn't do any shopping for my kids - I was too burned out, but maybe I'll keep looking. Like I said, the sales tend to stick around a while.

16. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I scored on The Body Shop online store, got almost 50% off on the sale, free shipping, plus I got 10 Swagbucks per dollar back and reward points on my credit card, so overall slightly more than 50% savings. It was a great deal, I am very, very happy.

17. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I got the Ipad Air $50 off when I bought it through Amazon. I do most of my shopping through them anyway. And I have Amazon Prime so I might as well make use of it as much as I can for the $100/year I spend for it.

18. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Not this year. I saved a lot by not going anywhere. There is way too much stress when it comes to the crowds and parking. I do most of my shopping on-line anyway. Amazon prime gets my products to me in a couple of days and I do not have to stress out. Movie time!

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also picked up web hosting and a domain for .98 cents. It wasn't a problem for me because I had been through it before. You have to what you want to purchase in your shopping cart with your credit card or PayPal on file. I have two tabs open in my browser. As soon as the coupon goes live, then I'm on it.

I also picked up a some new clothes for a real good deal. No complaints.