Products That Help You Sleep

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Nov 29, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I honestly don't really have that much trouble sleeping, especially since I've quit drinking coffee a long time ago, but sometimes when I need to wake up extra early the next day I do need a bit of help falling asleep earlier than usual. When this happens I'm usually left Without options because any methods like tea or calming music doesn't really work for me. Sleeping pills aren't too available here either.

What products do you guys use to help you fall asleep faster?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's good that you're not using melatonin pills. Though they help you sleep, the process involved isn't really natural. And tea never works because it has 13 times more caffeine content than coffee. Playing music isn't highly recommended either because you may drain your battery (if you use your cellphone or iPod) or add up to your utility bills. All it takes for me to get a good night's sleep is plenty of water as well as a cup of warm milk before bedtime.

3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    With a newborn at home - you would think that I would just fall out whenever I get the chance - unfortunately my body has gotten so use to being over tired that sometimes I can't sleep even if I try - but I can take a benadryl or two and it will knock me right out - just have to make sure my husband is home to help me listen for baby because the medicine makes me sleep heavier than I normally would.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've suffered from insomnia for a long period of time but the products I used were not that helpful so I wouldn't recommend them. In any case the side-effects of using the said products wouldn't be worth it. Have you considered trying natural solutions for getting sleep?

I've heard that these could help:

- Drink a glass of warm milk just before you hit the hay.

- Eat more magnesium-rich food.

- Meditate [funny thing about meditation is that it is a cure for virtually everything].

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Any milk will surely send me back to my bed for a good night slumber like there's no tomorrow, or at least like it's weekend. Any milk; any brand. It's the reason why I don't really need to drive in a drugstore and get a medicine that would make me go to sleep. All I would need is a milk. A fresh milk by the way. Other than it, I couldn't mention anything else.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly, I'd stay far away from anything that has to do with sleeping pills, because there is nothing good that comes out of your usage of that. Ever since actor Heath Ledger passed away, with sleeping pills being a contributor to his death, I knew I would never touch those even if it was my last resort. Personally though, even when I experience insomnia, I don't use any products to fall asleep. I just sleep on my side and listen to some music which sometimes works. But I've heard that almonds are great to eat to fall asleep because they contain tryptophan and magnesium that help reduce muscle and nerve function and calm your heart rhythm, making you get tired.

7. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Well, besides milk, all other products aside from the ones you've mentioned aren't really products. I recommend keeping a good sleep cycle schedule. Wake up at the end of every 1.5 hrs so that you don't fall asleep during the day, messing up your cycle. It's worked for some of my friends, maybe you can try soothing sounds. I'm pretty sure there are apps that exist to help you sleep via these sounds. Lastly, if the problem becomes serious, go see a doctor.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    The first product is a glass of warm milk before bed. I went to the sleep clinic's website and consulted my physician about why it's a good idea to drink milk before bed. Over which type of milk is the most useful, I think it really depends on your taste and availability in the market. The second product is comfortable scents. I tried the scented moisturizer and non-alcoholic spray to get me relax and help set the mood for a good night sleep. It's not only how many hours do you sleep that is important. Being able to sleep when you need to can also be trained.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Insomnia is something I have suffered with on and off over the years. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. At some points of my life I've even survived on less than 3 hours sleep. I tried everything under the sun, most which would work for a while and then stop working altogether; things such as herbal sleeping aids. What worked for me was a Valerian tincture , which I used on particularly difficult nights. I also find that easing myself into sleep by reading for a good hour before bed helps. You may also want to try Horlicks, a milk drink that seems to aid sleep. If you can bear it, you can also try the Yantra mat; a spiky mattress with many acupressure points designed to help with many ailments such as insomnia, back pain, stress, headache etc. It doesn't hurt per se, but it's a bit uncomfortable when you first use it. I bought mine for 50 pounds and can vouch for it. I'd give it a 5 out of 5 star rating, it's that good!

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I suggest a turkey sandwich. Anything with turkey in it. Turkey always puts me to sleep. It has contains L-tryptophan and has a sleep inducing effect. Just type it in and read about it. You can eat it before your scheduled bedtime and when you feel sleepy just hop in the bed.;)

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I normally do not have any trouble sleeping, but when I do, I drink chamomile tea. It's an herbal tea. So, there is no caffeine. It's really soothing and it puts you to sleep pretty quickly. You can also take it in tincture form and it works even quicker than making the tea. Chamomile is even safe for all members of the family to take. I don't use anything that's not natural. So, all my remedies are herbal.

12. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Insomnia is a common problem that many of us have especially with our stressful and frantic lifestyles! Like the others advised, stay away from sleeping tablets as much as you can since they are known to induce dependency if used regularly. The best way to avoid insomnia is actually to regulate your sleep cycle such that it becomes regular. Our bodies each have a body clock which everyone probably has heard about and might think is gibberish, but it in fact plays an important role in sleep! Melatonin is a substance highly associated with regulating our sleep cycles and is produced when the surroundings are dark, meaning sleep. Their production is often disrupted by sleeping at irregular times because our body loves routines. If the body senses that one typically sleep at 10pm, melatonin production will be scheduled shortly after to further aid in body repair and proper sleep etc. but with irregular sleep cycles, melatonin production is constantly affected and the body loses the regular cyclical control.

Besides the above, other tips to allow you to sleep better is having a warm bath before your sleep and avoid having mobile or electronic devices near you or your bedside, or anything that is light emitting and hence mind-stimulating. The only way one can fall asleep is if their mind is completely relaxed so rushing work or assignments right to the time you plan to sleep will not help as your brain remains active. Try to allocate at least 15 minutes of work-free time prior to sleep and this should help in the long run!

13. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Melatonin pills are good for me to use, and I eat one whenever I can't sleep well. Otherwise, I usually drink water and put on some mellow affirmation programs, which I fall asleep like five to fifteen minutes afterwards depending on how tired I am. Sometimes, I trick myself to sleep, by blinking excessive and counting back from one hundred with each blink. Things I try to avoid a few hours before sleeping are grains and carbohydrate foods, because these foodstuff keeps me waking up throughout the night all the time when I eat such foods.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly have never really had any use for these types of products. I can fall asleep almost instantaneously especially when I am physically exhausted. People have always picked on me because sometimes I even fall asleep sitting up. But-- on the very rare occasion that I am having issues falling asleep, it is usually because my breathing is off - I can put on a breathe right strip and this usually really helps me.