Let's talk about 'color'...

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MrsJones • Dec 8, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever liked a piece of clothing in the store, tried it on, bought it and then ended up returning it because the color just wasn't 'right' after all? Yeah. I always thought that because I love the color blue that I looked good in blue. It's a conservative color, right? Well, through trial and returning clothing that was blue I decided that blue was not a good color for me.

Many probably already know this but there are sites that help you determine what colors are best for you to wear. Good information to consider when you're on your next shopping bout not to mention saving you the disappointment of buying something you really liked and then returning it because 'something just wasn't right about it.'

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned a long time ago that I can't wear yellow. So I avoid it like the plague. Otherwise, I can't see a site being able to cover it completely. I know there are colours that aren't supposed to work on me and I find they actually flatter me. Not to mention the many different shades of each colour. There will be colours mentioned on said sites that will do the opposite for you if you go shades lighter or darker. Trial and error.. not to mention skin tone at different times of the year lol.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only wore clothes that has the color that I like, or what I think looks good on me, since I have a fair complexion, so I assume most colors look good on me. Now when I read your post, I think I ought to check those color compatibility websites to be sure.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Colors can always be hard to match with your own wardrobe, especially as they look different in the store under the lights. I try not to buy colors unless they are dark, like a navy or charcoal gray, otherwise they end up being worn around the house instead. The only colored items I buy are accessories that can be taken off and are safer to buy.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never bought something in a colour that I later found to be unsuitable and then returned it on that basis. The only reasons I ever return something is if it's not a good fit and/or it's faulty. I pretty much know which colours I like and what looks good against my skin tone. I hate drab colours like brown, dull grey and green. I much prefer lighter and even brighter colours. My favourite colours are baby pink, lilac, sky blue, white (especially tops) and black (especially bottoms). Pastel colours also work for me.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    The color is always a bit factor in me buying new clothes.
    I have a few standard color combination that I run so I'll either have a "red and black day" or a "brown and beige day" for example.
    I always think about this when buying clothes, it needs to fit into my existing color combinations otherwise I'll have trouble finding the opportunity to wear it at all.

7. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    It is all about perception. whatever color of shirts you buy or you are keeping in your cupboard cannot change your looks when you wear them. you have to match your mood with the clothes you wear in order to look good. but if you are worried about color, I suggest you buy neutral color shirts that goes with anything you partner it with.

8. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    It can be more than just perception, even just the mood you're in will alter the colours that you find appealing on that particular day. Beyond that, different colours can also incite different moods. A bit of a chicken-egg concept, especially once you factor in that different people will look better or worse in certain colours depending on their skin tone and ambient lighting.

Fashion and just dressing nicely in general is a fickle beast.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate bright colors. Yellow, red . . . etc, those I definitely will never buy. I won't buy whites either or anything close to them because the work I do would get them stained pretty fast. So normally I go for brownish shirts and dark pants — they go well together. I've at times thought of buying clothes but because they are the wrong color, I didn't get them. So color for me is one of the factors which must be taken into account when I'm making a purchase.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely return the items I already purchased. For my own convenience, prior to buying, I make sure everything is to my liking - from the cut of the cloth to the design to the color combination. If I don't do the picking meticulously, I'll end up troubling myself. I guess you should adopt a similar method so that you need not return items just because the colors don't suit you. Perhaps you can fit it first and thoroughly assess yourself in front of the fitting room mirror.

11. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you might not have the option if you're shopping online, or in a store that may not have a dressing room. Alternatively, the dressing room facilities may have awkwardly placed mirrors at poor angles, or bad lighting, or any other number of factors that could really alter how much you like a particular piece of clothing.

I've bought some clothing where I've loved it in store and ended up buying it; once home, I see it under well-lit conditions and realize there's a faint pattern that I never noticed. I think these types of returns are entirely justified, and exactly what returns are for in the first place.

12. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    This is why I tend to buy my clothes in person rather than online. Besides sometimes getting a colour that's not what you wanted, my body shape and size is also really weird, so a small in one store may not fit me but one in another could. I think that if you don't like any part of the clothing, then don't buy it. You're just wasting your money, and if you don't like it, whether it's the colour or the size, you're probably not going to wear it as much.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally avoid the neon color and the super bright ones. My clothes commonly are of color black, dark blue, dark red. Although I have clothes of color yellow, green and orange, I don't wear them when I go out. I only wear them when I am at home, because I don't really look good on them. I also wear grey and white shirts. I like shirts with color that could easily be paired with.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I rarely have ever returned an outfit just because of the color. I do usually prefer neutral colors, so I guess it's easier for those to match my skin tone and what I'm looking for it then if I were to buy something very colorful and bright. I usually don't lean towards color, I lean towards pastels, beige, and nudes. Those are usually much easier to match.

15. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I am one of those type of people that likes to keep it simple. Anything I wear will have either white or black as the dominate color. You may see some red, blue, or even some green mixed in. Though, keeping it basic to some degree always works out to me when talking about color.

16. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about whites and blacks is that they are so versatile with skin tone and other colours. If your wardrobe is diverse enough, you could leverage a handful of black and white items to create a ton of outfits without much effort. This is especially true with outerwear or light sweaters where you can wear a colour underneath to "spice it up" so to speak.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't returned anything because I didn't like the color, but I did give away some items because of the same reason. For instance, orange doesn't look good on me at all, so I stay away from that color all the time. Whenever someone gives me an orange shirt or whatever, I just keep it.

18. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    There are certain colors that I stay away from because they are less flattering -- so I don't usually have an issue with this kind of discrepancy after I make a purchase -- I typically have more of a problem getting things home and realizing that the fit is not as great as I would have hoped.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have this problem, and mostly because my favorite colour is red and it goes fabulously with my complexion and shade. Often, I'll grab items that are red, and kind of fill in the gaps and create a theme with either one or two other colours that go with red? Accessories too. Of course, you are better off trying on the items of clothing before you purchase them and leave the store. But I understand that that isn't always possible, especially if you are in a hurry. My main problem with clothing is not colour, but that it doesn't hang on my body in the way that I want it to.

20. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    This is where it's important to try things on of course. I've got the same problem where many brands' cuts simply don't sit well on me due to particularly broad shoulders, but once I find a brand that does suit me, I try and stock up on their items. There have been times that a company's cut has changed after several years of being the same and suddenly I have to find a new brand that'll work for me again. It's a somewhat annoying consideration when shopping.