Renewing the air in the house?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a friend that the first thing he did when he woke up was to open all the windows of The House for 5 minutes to renew the air. Do you consider this something important to be done or not really? Do you do it?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My door is open all day long so my house has never lacked fresh air. Opening windows certainly is a great way to freshen up your house and it's free unlike those fancy air fresheners which hardly ever get the job done. But it also depends on where you live. I've heard that in some cities opening windows would make things worse because of pollution.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's important to air a home and I do try to when the weather is good. Often I like to keep the bathroom window open and the doors open to air it that way. Fresh air is the best, but with the heating on, sometimes it's not always possible in winter and you can air for a very short time. It depends where you live, even in the city, the best time is in the evening when it's quieter as a stuffy home can make you ill.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Having potted plants inside one's home is the best way for closed house environments to have fresh air in my opinion. Aloe plants are good to have, because they don't create too much of a mess and have other healing properties beyond producing fresh air. The Snake plant or mother-in-law’s tongue, is a real good plant for helping to rid of formaldehyde, which is common in a lot of bathroom products. There are numerous amounts of other plants that can help freshen air, one simply has to research them.

I personally have plants, but I also crack my windows open a little bit to procure fresh air - yes, even in winter times.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my bedroom window cracked even through the winter months because of my claustrophobia. I have to admit though it is very refreshing to come into my bedroom and have a "York peppermint patty" moment:D

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The windows in our house are always open, at least in the living room. Our area is not really polluted, so it's ok to open the windows. We just close them at night though, so that the house isn't that exposed when we turn on the lights.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do it and although I'm not rigid about it I absolutely find it necessary. We use air conditioners a lot here and there's a strong chance of making the room feel a bit stuffy after a while so it is necessary to open up some windows and let some fresh air get in. I don't have a set schedule but I can definitely feel when it's already time to do so because the air is just different when you know it needs to be renewed.

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I always open the windows to let some fresh air in, otherwise I would feel that my room would be too stuffy and musty. The only time I close them is at night, for security, and to make up for it I either turn on the air conditioning or turn on a couple of fans to ensure proper ventilation.

9. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    A good house with a good air circulation is better than a house without proper ventilation. You do not want your house to be full of fungi all around you when moist and humidity is around.. it will make you sick. If you do not have windows, it is better to put the AC on or try to have some indoor plants to give you fresh air.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't know about the air conditioner owesem because sometimes the air coming from the AC is worse than the air coming from the streets. I don't have an AC and I don't plan to, but I daily open my windows to renew the air, I feel that it's good enough.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually think that having the windows open in my apartment affected our health for the better. Now that we're staying with relatives who have bad ventilation, we're both sick with colds all the time. I felt so much better when I had good air flow and breezes coming through.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't open my windows. Rarely that I do, I think only when I have to let a scent shift away faster. That's the only time that I open my windows. I don't think that for it's a good way to get a new circulation of air in the house, much more because I live in a polluted area. If I open my windows, then I'd just let some pollution get in my house and suffer its effects. Maybe for some living in the country it's possible.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty much, sometimes if we don't renew the air it's easy to create molds and other situations that are unhealthy, so it's a simple, but good thing to be done. 003, that's something really bad, so if you open your windows the air that gets in is even worse? Do you live by a road?