Do You Really Like Stretch Denim?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hayrake • Dec 12, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have this thing about stretch denim. I just don't think spandex belongs in blue jeans and I don't want it in there. The jeans made out of this stuff are thin. They have a cheap (because they are cheap), shiny look; and they feel awful against your skin.
    You can still get good quality jeans that are 100% cotton denim, but you pay dearly for them if you buy them new. So I've taken to buying all of my jeans at thrift stores where I can still find real denim at a decent price.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like jeans with a small amount of stretch so they keep the shape. The thing I find about 100% cotton jeans they shrink and also you get baggy knees if you sit down wearing them which doesn't look good and is uncomfortable and makes wearing boots with them harder. Also I've found they are quicker to dry with some stretch in them, so I find them less maintenance.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I hate stretch! Worst change in fashion history for me.. every time I see a pair of jeans I love, I'm so disappointed they're strecthy. They're often more comfy, but I can't stand how they look after such a short time wearing them. Some of them end up a totally different size by the end of the day! lol. I much prefer my virgin denim ;)

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love a bit of stretch in my denim! I think the quality may also be dependent on the brand, as I have absolutely none of the problems mentioned whatsoever with my stretch jeans. They're very comfortable, they fit better and even if I gain a few extra pounds they still fit me. I'd highly recommend Superdry, Seven and Miss Sixty stretch jeans anytime. Because of the quality and cut of those brands, I refuse to wear any other jeans because I'm a very happy camper :)

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree quality can be an issue, but I find the stretch denim fad as a whole to be lower quality. My denim trumps my stretch-denim hands down and lasts so much longer. I do have stretchy denim that I like, but I don't prefer it. I have only a couple pairs that lose their shape like mentioned above.. the rest still don't measure up to 100% denim for me, but at least they're lasting for now. I think for the most part, it depends how much stretch is in there. The ones I complained about above are from a brand everyone seems to love and trust their quality. They all get it wrong from time to time.

6. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer normal denim jeans myself. The stretch jeans may keep their shape, but they wear through with holes much sooner and honestly I dont think they flatter any woman's figure. There are a few kinds of jeans that incorporate a moderate amount of stretch and there are jeans that are made in numerous fits so that everyone can find one that works for them. I would much rather go with those.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if you're into figure-hugging clothes, it's a given to buy stretch denim jeans. Depending on what kind of top I'll sport for the day, I have no problem wearing it. My main preference is of course wearing a pair of cotton jeans as it's more comfortable and compatible with the washing machine and tumble dryer. Stretch denims will start sagging after a period of time.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's close so far; but I think the real denim lovers are winning.
    I should probably have clarified things a little further when I made the first post. Stretch (and compression) is great when you want it. I love my riding breeches and I think yoga pants are wonderful. They need the stretch and it's expected to be in them. Blue jeans, however, aren't blue jeans just because they're blue. They need to be real denim, too.

9. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of stretch skinnies that I purchased from Topshop that I absolutely love! It got a hole around one of the pockets during the summer time so I go it sewn up. After the hole got fixed it was like the whole "stretchiness" of the pants were gone. Either that or I gained some weight, but I thought the whole point of stretch denim was that it adjusted if you put on a couple of pounds. i still love them though, and I started working out so they'll fit like they use to in no time.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I can just picture the stretch draining out of the hole. (lol.) Good on the working out. Go for it.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe that cracked me up; thanks for the giggles!

When I say I prefer stretch, I don't actually mean full on stretch. The stretch denim that I prefer usually has around two-three% spandex, and those ones have served me well. I have a few pairs that I've been wearing for years and they're still not showing any sign of wear and tear. However, I have this one pair that is very light (almost flimsy) denim with a lot of stretch in them. I love them, but I've started noticing tiny little holes forming here and there on them, something you wouldn't get with fallen denim without spandex :(

12. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I like stretch jeans but not the cheap looking/feeling kind. I have about 3 pairs of my favorite jeans, that are my go to jeans. I have to change them up every once in a while, when my weight decides to fluctuate. That's why having a few pairs of stretch jeans always come in handy.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I get where you're coming from...I agree to a point. I have a few pairs and I'll wear them from time to time but for the most part I like stretchy pants and jeans to stay separate from one another.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like any kind of tight clothing at all. Stretch denim is quite common here in Latin America, where I currently live. And, quite frankly, I think it looks awful on any person. If you are thin, it makes your legs looks like sticks. And if you are voluptuous, you might turn out looking like a stuffed sausage. So, I am definitely not a fan of stretch denim. Also, I think about how uncomfortable they are to wear, and how much one sweats in them.

15. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I do like a little stretch in my jeans, but I can see your point about the quality. I have purchase stretch denim jeans in the past that were absolutely horrible in terms of quality. I also don't like the skintight jeans. I prefer my jeans to have a little give to them. I guess that I try to go for a happy medium when it comes to the stretchiness of my jeans.

16. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have stretch denim pants and I actually like them, they used spandex so it keeps the shape and actually the jeans suck in the parts you don't want to have hanging out. One pair I have is very old, the denim is soft now and I wear these to do housework or yard work . They are so comfy! these are not your mom jeans of old. Look for the spandex ones not just any old elastic kind. these days they come in all sorts of colors and they can be thrown in the dryer. I like they do not fray at the edges as fast.

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe I actually laughed out loud at your comment. As I was reading it, I had this mental vision of a stuffed sausage LOL I can see what you mean, but I know what suits me and what doesn't. I had this gorgeous pair of fine, stretch cords that were like combat pants. I mean, just gorgeous. I really wanted them to work, but I could NEVER leave the house in them because I did look like a stuffed sausage! Don't ask me how, because as far as I know I don't have such a shape LOL I ended up giving them to one of my sisters, on whom they look like they should **sigh**. So I think it takes a bit of trial and error to get it absolutely right. I also live in a scorching hot country, so I usually wear stretch pants either at night when it's cooler or in winter. You've got to work with them :)

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a little bit of spandex in my jeans too. It doesn't make them skin hugging. It gives them a little bit of stretch. I like that. I don't find that spandex brings down the quality of the jeans. I'm not really a big fan of jeans, but they are very versatile. They can be dressed up or dressed down. I want to buy a couple pairs during the after Christmas sales.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of stretch denim! I don't like wearing jeans without any stretch to it because I feel like it's uncomfortable and tends to look baggy and unshaped. I prefer my jeans and pants in general to be shapely and flattering, and I feel like stretch denim does that!

20. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I own a pair or two, and dislike them. I'll still wear them but it's always as a final resort when my other jeans are dirty or won't work with the outfit. I dislike the fact that they don't hang right due to the propensity to stretch when stressed. That and the way that they ride up due to their stretchiness and require being adjusted frequently.

Additionally, over time, the elasticity fades somewhat and you end up with a baggy mess. I'd much rather just deal with denim that will hold its shape after a wash or two.