Is Bottled Water Worth The Cost?

Discussion in Water started by Isabellas2007 • Jun 8, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I live in America and every time I go somewhere I see people drinking out of a water bottle. However, most of these bottles end up in a garbage dump. So I have to ask is the cost of the bottled water really worth it or not? I mean in most cases the bottled water is just tap water sealed up, so what are your thoughts?

2. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy bottle water all the time to drink at home or to take to work. I have since then realized that it is a waste of water. Plus it is also bad for the environment. I now have a filter water pitcher in my refrigerator that I use. I fill up my own water bottles each morning and take them to work. I have saved a lot of money since then.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Definitely not. I'll only buy bottled water if I'm out and I really need a drink. I filter my water at home, and fill small bottles which I freeze and take out with me. The water thaws quickly enough for you to drink when you need to, but slowly enough so it stays cool no matter how long you're out and about. All it costs me is a new filter for my jug every few weeks.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Bottled water isn't really worth it except as a kind of placebo. I drink tap water and go on with my life because I least I bother to drink water rather than a gallons of soda.

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it is. I don't know why, but tap water tastes like its got something weird in it or something.
    I know thats a little crazy, because they say that tap water is the most naturalest kind of water
    out there. But I think there is something wrong with my tap, and frankly I won't drink water that
    is not bottled.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    That's a very good idea. I do that, too, when I go on field trips. I usually wrap my bottles of frozen water in thick towels to keep them cooler longer and also to soak up the condensation water that forms on the outside.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I fill up my own as well. I prepare them ahead of time, so I can grab it to go. Its a rare occasion now that I will actually buy a bottle of water. I feel like such a chump. I think to myself, remember when water was free?

8. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I'd have to say no.

Reason being, half the bottled water companies are proven to use tap water anyway. And that means all you have to do is have a filter and you'd have your own "bottled" water. Not to mention it's a natural resource and I curse the idiot that ever invented PAYING for it.

9. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    We also use a filter pitcher. Saves money and figuring out what to do with all those plastic containers. Plus, when my kids would use bottles of water, they would often only drink half of the water and leave the bottle somewhere. I felt like I was pouring money down the drain when I got rid of them.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    No! Their so called "mineral water" is just water from the tap. There are many documentaries that have scientifically proved that by analyzing what was in the water. And by buying them, you're contributing to pollute thousands of islands where companies throw those bottles away.

11. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We have our own bottles but we also buy a case or two to have on hand in case we are going to the beach or a park or something. We make sure that we recycle all of our bottles.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Bottled water is really one of the biggest scams out there...and has lasted really long, actually. But one day that bubble will burst. They are making thousands of percent profit on water they are scoring for free...from the earth, and then reselling it to its inhabitants. It is rather diabolical, if you ask me.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I've always enjoyed the types of bottled water that I drink, so it's never been a waste to me. Not to mention, it made it a lot easier to get my needed supply of water on a daily basis when on the go.

In some areas, the tap water is horrible and regardless of whether the companies are getting it from the same source, they do something that make the water taste better. If you've ever had a cheap brand versus a better brand, you'll know the difference in their process rather quickly.

If I were back home, I'd still buy bottled water on the regular. Where I am now has some kind of deposit on each bottle, so that stopped me from wanting to buy water.

14. graven29

graven29New Member

Threads:
    Bottled water is not worth the cost. Half that stuff is just filled at a tap somewhere (read the back of the bottle it will tell you where it was filled). That picture of a river, or mountain or whatever is just to get you to buy it. Just buy a Brita pitcher and a sports bottle. It will last 2-3 months. Buy a replacement filter. Save money and landfill space.

15. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Bottled water is actually really unhealthy for you and I would not recommend buying or drinking it. There is no regulation or testing required for bottled water and they have found that the chemicals in the plastic bottle cause cancer. Tap water is actually tested multiple times per day in each city, it is much safer than bottled water and about 1/1000th of the price.

16. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The chemicals in certain plastic bottles are only released when heated. For example, when you leave a bottle in the car and then come back to drink it. Which is stupid anyway, why are drinking hot water? Also, when people try to reuse single use bottles, they increase their chances for the toxins to be released. The average single use bottle doesn't have those issues. It was mainly the reusable water bottles that people were buying.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Personally, no, I don't think they are. I understand why some people drink from water bottles exclusively and it's not like I -never- get a bottle of water. I'm perfectly content drinking tap water instead, though, or filtering it at home myself.

18. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say so. Especially if you're out in public and water bottles are ridiculously overpriced in my area. I've always found it easier just to go buy my own giant packs which include about 30 bottles for as low as 3 dollars sometimes. Most of the time though, I'll just drink tap with some ice in it at home or use a filter pitcher.

19. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We normally drink tap water at home and have no problem with it. If we go away on vacation though we buy bottled water. This is purely because water in certain areas of the country have a different taste to what we are used to. The other day I bought pills that you pop into your drinking water to sterilize it. I haven't yet tried it out but it will be interesting to see how the pills will affect the taste of the water.

20. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I do not purchase bottled water. Not every tap tastes the same - it depends on where your water supply comes from. For example - tap water in New York tastes WAY different than tap water in Florida. It really isn't worth spending all that money on bottled water. If you want it filtered just buy a filter. Its a one time cost with very minimal maintanence and it will ensure your water is "clean" from all those things you fear may be in your tap water. I don't bother really - we are a tap water family.