Horrible Bosses

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by owesem75 • Dec 14, 2014.

1. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, anyone seen the movie Horrible Bosses? It was very hilarious but full of lessons.

I wonder if anyone of you have experienced working with real horrible bosses (present or in the past)? perhaps you would like to share it with us and so we could learn about how to deal with them if ever we have encountered them.

2. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Mr. Troller! Worst /best boss I ever had. I say worse, because at the time I was young, and he was a gruffy old overweight guy who never answered questions but demanded excellence. Then why the best then. When I say, he didn't answer questions, he would make me think of the answers. i.e. Mr. Troller, what do I do about this or that? His answer for everything: I do not know, I just started here yesterday. Now, how would you do it and would you explain it to me so I can understand.
    I always got so frustrated and angry at him but I never quit. The old guy died of a heart attack, but not before he taught me how to think for myself as if I were the boss.

3. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I had a bad boss back in the day when I worked for the "man". He was a jack ass. He made me work long hours with no bonus and never once gave me a break on a deadline while he afforded it to other workers, mainly cute women who waved their tush at him. lmao. He didn't know how to run a company though and soon after I and a few others who actually made worthwhile contributions left, the company went belly up.

4. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    The ego of some of these Bosses is just beyond comprehension. I have a head of department who is someone that i do not find very professional. He is always making sexual jokes and personally i think that this is just not something that is to be done on the job on such a frequent basis. We are all adults yes, but to be hearing these things on a daily basis and the content getting more and more explicit is just a bit too much for me. The others tend to laugh whenever he starts up and i think that this gives him the green light signal and he believes that all is well with it but i absolutely think that this is unprofessional. At times he tend to pull others in it and ask questions about person's sex life. I stay clear of him because i really do not want to be the one to be accused of being disrespectful to him,the truth is that i may very well tell him my mind of of these days if he decides to approach me with it.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once had a boss who had a fetish for young Hispanic males and would offer the busboys in the restaurant extra money to go to his house and give him massages. Fortunately , I'm a female so he didn't approach me. He was cheap and yelled at me once for throwing away wet sugar packets. He wanted to dry them out , coffee stains and all, and give them to another customer.

6. blasianchick

blasianchickNew Member

Threads:
    ACSAPA's post about the Hispanic bus boys had me dying of laughter.

I think I've had numerous horrible bosses, hence my determination to become a successful entrepreneur.

Probably the one who stands out the most for me is a Korean woman who owned a small chain of Nike sneaker stores. I started off part time, helping her to launch her 2nd store in my local area when I was a teen. I helped develop an inventory tracking system, marketing strategies and single handedly advertised her store to the target demographic, even competing with a former employer of mine who had a similar store in the area.

Eventually, after like 4 years, I became the manager of one branch. I worked my butt off, 7 days a week, open to close. I even travelled between states to make drops and pickups between stores at my own expense. I couldn't afford child care so my then toddler son came to work with me every day! In fact, when I wasn't making her drug-dealer clientele comfortable enough to blow their money on Jordans and Air Force One sneakers, I was busy translating legal and official documents and phone calls in Korean and English for my boss!

I was like a slave, draining my energy and life away for this lady who did very little to show her appreciation. Once in a while, she'd bribe me with a small pay raise or some free sneakers for my son, to convince me to stay. Once I figured out what a succubus she was, I made plans to get the heck out of there. I didn't go without a bang though. I'm not going to detail all that here, but let's just say I got the last word and a very satisfying severance from the company.

One thing I will say, working for this witch of a woman motivated me to learn as much as possible about starting and owning my own company and it groomed me to take action once I left. I haven't worked for anyone since. I freelance, have a few side businesses and use my talents to make money. I'm glad I had the experience, now I know I'm not missing anything by not being someone's employee.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a couple of horrible bosses. Both bosses led me to directly or indirectly leave my job as well. They both had egos the size of Jupiter and we disliked by the whole of the team I worked with at the time. Everyone disliked the first one so much that when they heard that he'd fallen off a horse and broken his leg, everyone cheered! You have to be a pretty bad boss for that to happen.

8. downsouth

downsouthMember

Threads:
    Mainly worked for myself or with family members so I have never had this problem. I had one boss when I was working part time in college to have some spending money that played favorites. He wasn't a bad guy or anything but there were guys/girls that did not do half the things they were supposed to do but he let it go because they shared the same interests as him.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I can't say I've seen that movie, but it sounds interesting. :)
    I've had to contend with a very moody and often reckless boss for a number of years. It was quite a challenge for me. I always had to watch my back and be discrete about everything concerning my private life as he got strangely obsessed with me. In the end, after a big fight over a substantial amount of money, we managed to settle our scores and are (relatively) good friends now.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Ew! That is beyond cheap! That's disgusting, but then, apparently so was this boss of yours. How inappropriate, though the question is, how many busboys took him up on his offer? That's bordering on sexual harassment and even solicitation. People need to have better boundaries, especially at work!