Do You Like Receiving Clothing Items For Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by hayrake • Dec 15, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I appreciate any gift that I'm given. I honestly do. At the same time, I find that items of clothing others pick out for me are usually way off base from my personal taste. There have only been two people in my whole life who could really pick out clothes that I like with consistency. One of them was my mother and the other was a mutual close friend of myself and my mother. All others fail, for the most part, only occasionally lucking up on a good choice. Problem is, when I receive an item of clothing I feel obligated to wear it whether I like it or not.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A gift is a gift right? But unless someone knows my clothing size then quite obviously they'll buy something which won't fit me. It will either be too large or too small and I'd rather not spend any extra cash paying a tailor to resize the clothes. So for me I don't like it if anyone buys me clothing as a gift but I won't reject the gift though when I receive it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for children it's fine or something that the recipient has picked out, but to choose something for someone is very personal. I have bought clothes for my dad, brother and ex as I know them well and what they need and it's always been something I could borrow as well like a cardigan or sweater.

An ex used to buy me clothes and he got it so wrong each time and I gave them back to him and told him to get a refund as I would never wear them and it ruined our Christmas. (He gave me pink flannel pajamas and a pair of baggy jeans and he had never seen me wear either!) So buying clothes is not a good idea at times.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a gift is a gift, and that it's the thought that counts. But I personally HATE people buying me clothes, because they very rarely get it right. I'm hideously precious about my clothes, and much prefer to choose them myself. Even my husband doesn't seem to get it right all the time. People say it's a bit impersonal and lazy, but I actually prefer gift vouchers :)

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm fine receiving clothing items for gifts. However, if none of the clothes fit me, I just give them to someone else who can wear them. I'm not picky with colors and designs and if I think a particular clothing is better off worn at home than at a mall, then I'll place it under my "home clothes" section.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't like receiving clothes as gifts because I almost always would just prefer something else. I find that I don't like receiving clothes because I feel I could just but my own and would rather get more expensive or unique gifts that I otherwise would have never bought or thought of on my own, since that's how much effort I put into my own gifts when giving it to others and I make sure it's not generic and it matches their needs and personalities. However, I do know that I should just appreciate that I'm receiving gifts at all and so I do.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true, @ Dr Ripley....but I always wonder what use pretending is. What's more, the people will never know if I just say thanks and pretend to gush over stuff I don't like, with gritted teeth LOL Luckily for me, my family are very understanding and go against etiquette, because they'll ask what everyone would like. So I almost always get gift cards or just money. Unless someone knows about something specific that I really, really want and goes out and gets it.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I appreciate any gifts given to me, even clothing. I have found that even if a piece of clothing I am given is not my style, it is usually okay to wear around the house at least. There have been times where the size of the piece of clothing was not the right size, but I was able to find another use for it, such as a too-large t shirt became a night shirt.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My birthday just pasted and I got a hot and a pair of warm socks for a gift. Something I needed very much now that it is getting cold outside. There are some clothes items I do not like to receive as a gift like the wrong colors.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:xTinx suggestion is a great one for clothes that don't fit and prose's ideas are good too. I like most of you don't like clothes for gifts. I prefer gift cards so I can get what I need and want for myself. I like food gifts and like xTinx if I don't like it I can give it away. Only one Aunt who liked to sew asks if I like a certain item for Christmas that she can sew for me did give me nice clothes. It's wonderful to get gifts all the time though.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just talking about this again last night with my mother, because every year she will usually purchase me some sort of pajama set for Christmas. Or she will get my some sweatpants, or a hoodie. I don't mind her getting me clothes like that because I am going to be wearing them to bed, but when it comes to actual clothes, I don't like just anyone buying me them, because they don't know my style.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy receiving clothing as a gift when it’s something I’ve specifically requested. And there are people in my life who know my tastes pretty well, so I tend to love what they pick out for me. Other than that, clothes are something I prefer to choose for myself. Gift cards have come in mighty handy for that, and I enjoy receiving those more than pretty much anything, haha.

13. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It is fine with me as long as I like it and it fits me well. The people who give me clothing as gifts are mostly my family members or close friends, since they know what style I like and what my size is. They are the ones who usually make it right when choosing clothing for me. There are times I have been given clothes that I do not like and don't fit me, but I still show my gratitude to the ones who gave it and make them feel appreciated. These clothes that do not match my taste and size are usually kept in the closet or I use as clothes at home, and I do not usually use them when going outside.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It honestly depends on who is giving the gift, because not everybody knows my size and style, and it upsets me when people give me gifts that I am never going to be able to use, because I just think that it is such a shame. So when my family give me gifts of clothes they usually know what I like, however there are some other people who never quite manage to get the style that I like to wear.

15. slerie78

slerie78New Member

Threads:
    I feel you. It's not that I am ungrateful, of course I am thankful for the thought and that I am remembered and cherished, but sometimes I am burdened when I am obligated to wear clothes, I preferably not wear, just to show my gratitude. :( Somehow, its the least I can do. :(

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind receiving clothes as gifts as long as they fit me and I like the design. If for some reason I don't like the clothes, then I will just give them away or sell them online.

17. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I also appreciate any gift that I'm given, but I feel that clothing is a really personal thing and it is really difficult to pick it for anyone who is not you. Also, sizes are a great problem.