What do you do with leftover turkey?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Squigly • Dec 16, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    With Thanksgiving feasts there is so much food, leftovers are almost inevitable. One of the biggest culprits is turkey. How do you handle leftover turkey? I personally cook it in a stew with some potatoes, carrots and beef.

2. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I like to slice them thin and make sandwiches out of them! Somehow, overnight turkey and all other marinated meats for that matter taste better the next day! I've also replaced chicken with chunks of leftover turkey in a salad as well. For me, turkey is a lot tougher than chicken and worse when leftover, so if I use them, I always make sure to make them either really thin or bite sized. Your idea of a stew sounds great as well! That'll probably add loads of flavour to the gravy and "retenderise" the meat!

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I love Thanksgiving soup! That's one of the first things I make with the leftover turkey. The rest of it is usually sliced for sandwiches or used in a pot pie. I think that the leftovers are absolutely the best part about Thanksgiving. I don't have to worry about what to make for a couple of days at least. :)

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can save so much money with left over turkey! I usually make it into sandwiches, stews or soup. It's also very nice to munch on as a cold snack. The only problem is that it can take forever to finish, and so it becomes very boring to eat it over and over. But if you're anything like me and hate any type of food waste, you just force yourself to eat it till it's all gone!

5. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    As I grow older, I notice that I buy a smaller bird so that I have less leftovers.
    I like everybody's suggestions. I generally I make sandwiches. I freeze most of the leftover turkey. Over the next few months, I make turkey stew or soup. Once I tried making turkey hash instead of corned beef hash. I have made turkey tetrazzini casserole. I have mixed turkey into my macaroni and cheese along with broccoli.

#5Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    This year we made sandwiches on sourdough as well as some salads!

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa, it's been a couple of weeks already, I hope you freeze those leftover turkey! Personally, I reheat it and eat it! Sometimes I make sandwiches with the meat, but mots of the time I simply it as it is. Although, I have made some good turkey soup before, and that was way better than any pre-made ones!

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Don't worry, we've finished all the leftovers. Personally I'm not too fond of eating plain reheated food, hence asking for suggestions for next year's Thanksgiving!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions :D

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We do several things with the left over turkey in my family. The turkey bones is never thrown away and we actually use it for stews or soup. The left over meat would be use for sandwiches mostly or to make mini pot pies.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Assuming there is any leftover turkey that doesn't walk out the door with everyone wanting a turkey sandwich the next day, I slice some of it for sandwiches and the rest I make pot pie out of. I swear I think homemade pot pie trumps the Thanksgiving dinner every time.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't serve turkey here but we do eat a lot of roast chicken which I'm guessing is similar. For our chicken leftovers we usually just chop and put them into salads or pita wraps or sometimes we even cook it into fried rice. A favorite of mine is using them for quesadillas since after putting in all the ingredients you'd hardly notice it was leftovers.