When To Say No

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Dec 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From time to time, when shopping, you may find some items/products which though you don't need [them] immediately may be so cheap that you may, on impulse, buy it/them. But because you didn't immediately need the item/product you may not have any use for it. So regardless of how cheap it was, the money you spent on it will have been wasted.

Ever been enticed into buying something because it's on sale and regretted it?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think many of us have experienced this and whenever you do a clear out you find the items that were a good idea at the time. Since most of my things are in storage, it has changed my buying habits as I have to think twice whether I will have room and if I really need it. Often I don't so unless it is something that will be used and thrown away like a bottle of shampoo, then I won't buy it, unless it can be used on that day.

Of course I cheat and buy the odd item too, but as long as they are not bulky I can justify it and when it's fro the dollar store, I can let that go in my head.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep,I know the feeling! It usually happens when I have a lot of money and to be honest when it does happen, I just go with the flow. It's weird, but I'm only really frugal with my money when I'm broke! If it's on special/in the sale and I want it but don't necessarily need it, I'll get it. I think I'm a serious shopaholic; I get so excited, hyperventilate etc Sometimes I feel bad because I might have to tell a little white lie, but I don't really regret it!

4. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Just think: there are people in this world who have a full time job trying to get people to buy stuff they don't need. They will try everything they can think of to trigger you to make those impulse purchases. It can be hard to resist, and your brain will work against you and rationalize the purchase and why it is a good idea. So I keep a little notebook in my purse. If I come across something that I have a strong inclination to purchase, then I will write it down, and put it in my budget for next month. If the sale will be over by then, that is no reason to buy it now, unless it is something that is already on my list.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must have had regrets with some of the products I bought during mall-wide sales but such were of minor consequence compared to the pangs of regret I felt after the purchases I made from lesser known flee markets and rundown thrift stores. Not only did I forget to use some of those items, they simply gathered dust while others got lost in the shuffle. I never learn, though. Perhaps I should say no to impulse buying as part of my new year's resolution.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Only once and I learned from that mistake a long time ago. Nowadays, I take my time rationalizing if that particular product being placed on sale is something I want or need first, then I think when will I use and how often, and if I don't regret buying it in contrast to saving my money. Most stuff that is put on sale is because they're overstocked, no longer seasonally desirable, and it's not selling well at the original store offered price.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm sure I have, and probably more times than I want to count. I like to shop, not all the time, but there are some times when I am in the mood to do some serious shopping and at times I'll go overboard. I try to make myself exercise moderation when shopping, because it is really easy for me to budget only a certain amount for a shopping trip, but end up spending twice the amount that I budgeted.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That has happened to me many times already, although I didn't really regret the purchase. I have a habit of buying things I don't need because I collect them.