Exercise material for children?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by ExpertAdvice • Dec 19, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Instead of giving your child a video game or toys, do you think it would be a better idea to give them workout equipment on a special occasion? Kids these days tend to have really bad health, some are overweight, some are underweight, some are sickly, everything just seems to be going wrong. Do you all think that buying children exercise material will make them better able to function?

2. CYSumner

CYSumnerNew Member

Threads:
    I think that it will, but I also think that defining exercise equipment is important. We love playing soccer outside, and the girl gets a new bike every year. I don't think buying them exercise things is necessarily the answer, so much as engaging children in a way that they're exercising while they're playing.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my god, no. I would never get my child started on this current obsession of working out and gyms and obsessing over how many calories they're burning. The best way to get kids active is to be the person you want them to be. Give them fun options that keep them moving. Give them healthy ideas of staying fit.. not the fitness version of an eating disorder. Take them out and play with them, hike with them, bike with them.. fun things. I think the current fitness model is unhealthy to be honest and rarely does anyone stick to it. There's very good reason for that. Let them be kids.

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I also think it's important to define exercise material, as well as the ages of the kids. I'd absolutely buy a 3 year old a giant bouncing ball or a 6 year old a hula hoop, and bikes once the kids are old enough. But I wouldn't buy a treadmill or weights or anything crazy like that for kids. I think it's better to just get them outdoors, and, if they are interested, into team sports or dance classes or whatever they want in that vein.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I think buying them nice exercise equipment is a good way to encourage them, but also it would be much more effective if the parent is able to lead by example. Often the parents would just buy some sort of equipment and leave it at that, and I don't think that works very well at all. It's much better if the parent can join in the activity to show the child the joy of physical activity.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that the try out few exercise marterial for the kids is by making sure that you allow to do go outdoor for playing. I also think it is really important to try and understand it. I also believe that if they enjoy dancing, you should allow them to join aerobics.

7. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I think it should be done in moderation. A birthday is a child's opportunity to for fun and you don't want to leave them completely disappointed by giving them things they are not too excited about. I think a child should receive on such item like a video game and then other items that are necessary like clothing and activity toys like balls or a jump rope, which they would have to get out and play with.

8. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think in moderation exercise is important for our children. But most kids are members of clubs or school clubs to do with sport. I think giving them proper work outs however would be wrong. I mean they should already be active, if not then get them involved in clubs.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If they are into video games, there are a lot of games that could let them sweat it out relatively. Dancing games are a lot of fun and keeps their little bodies working up a sweat. I tried playing with them with some of their games that involve body movements, and I would definitely recommend it.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few games which combine videogames and exercise. Dance Central (The Xbox Kinect game) is pretty popular with kids, and is a great way to get them to move and have fun.