What special things do you do when you have guests staying in your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Dec 19, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have family or friends coming in from out of town for the holidays? Will they stay with you? What special things will you do to ensure their comfort during their stay? I always try to have extra "grab and go" food, so they can feel free to help themselves when they are hungry. People tend to be a little shy about asking for things to eat outside of meal times when they're in the home of someone else. When my (grown) kids come home, they aren't shy, but their friends or SO's sometimes are. I like to have things like a nice fruit basket, cheese and crackers, a veggie tray in the fridge, chips and salsa, and I usually bake some muffins.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not used to have guests in my home. But whenever I do, I make sure that they'd feel at home by directly saying to them to feel at home and allowing them to use everything in the house. I also make it a point to be with them in the house. I eat with them and spend time with them. I really make them feel like they are welcome and they are not someone else.

3. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I used to put up such a fuss. When people from out of town visited, I used to plan out an entire agenda. I assumed they were here to visit me. Over the years, I realized that relatives were visiting because they just wanted to get away from their hometowns for a few days.
    Now, when friends stop by to visit I let them tell me what they want to do. I am now just expected to go out to a few restaurants, and view one or two stage plays.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like guests. If I had it my way I wouldn't have them stay with me here over Christmas. However since the home I live in was owned by my grandfather and passed down to me, they [the grandchildren of the old man] feel they have a right to come over each holiday season because technically it's still their grandfather's house.
    What would you do to make your sister more comfortable when she comes home? Save for cooking them guests a delicious meal on the day they arrive [I know a few things about hospitality] since they are home, it's up to them to ensure that they enjoy their stay here.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always give them some nice new towels and put out some extra toiletries and a toothbrush. In the room I put some water and a box of tissues and some slippers. I also put an extra fleece blanket on the bed in case they get cold.

I want people to feel at home and to help themselves to anything and keep things like tea and coffee out and leave snacks in the fridge as well. I enjoy having guests and only invite those I want to stay!