Hot water tank insulation

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by nonsiccus • Dec 19, 2014.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    For those of you with gas or electric hot water tanks that you have access to:

You can reduce the heating costs for the water by insulating the tank with insulating foam. This prevents heat loss through radiation and allows for the burners or heating elements to be used less frequently. It's most noticeable in the winter when ambient temperature drops, leeching more heat, however you should see an improvement to your bill year-round.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have researched this and one website suggested to touch your water heater, if able, and if it is warm then you should consider insulating your water heater. I did that and ours was cold so I didn't get one of those insulating wraps. I also checked out Lowes' website and the price ranges were reasonable depending on what size your water heater is. The reviews weren't all that good though. Most of them stated that you should measure your water heater around and top to bottom for an accurate fit before buying.

3. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on your water heater, some will be an on-demand system where a heating element heats up the water when required. These systems are typically quite expensive and only found in newer homes. The average person's home will have a gas or electric heater that is basically just a giant metal barrel containing warm/hot water. Some of these will be vacuum insulated (like a thermos) but they aren't that common.

You're right though, a good fit is important to good insulation.

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    It will be harder and harder to find the old style water heaters, on demand is what is considered the better choice for energy efficiency. I am not to happy about that because I like the older type gas hot water heaters. The big problem with the newer on demand type is they are dependent on electricity. If your power is out in a storm you will not have hot water. For this reason I have started to set aside money for a replacement hot water tank while you can still get a nice older style one.

It is important you flush the old style tanks to prevent calcium build up. People for some reason don't do this, you also can wrap the pipes that carry the hot water, this will keep the water much hotter as it travels to the faucet. It is good preventive maintenance to have the water tank serviced when you get the furnace cleaned annually. Most heating and cooling places that do furnaces will do the hot water tank if you ask them, usually for no additional charge.