Are you able to focus even if you home is messy?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by 003 • Dec 20, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For some people, and I know a lot that having a messy surroundings makes them really crippled that they cannot focus. Is this the same case for you? As for, I would really like to work on a clean environment, but if there's nothing else I could for something like that, then I got no choice but to deal with messiness, and believe it or not, I am more productive in a messy environment. Once that I have started doing my thing, I don't bother at all with anything else.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No,I definitely CAN'T handle mess, I absolutely hate a messy house and that includes my work space. I'm not even anal and a clean freak. I just like an organised, tidy house where you can find your things with ease. If you have guests, they can also relax in the knowledge that you have high hygiene standards. I'm sorry I have to say this; but I have an extremely messy friend and neighbour. Her house is a HOT MESS and has this funky smell about it. I won't eat or drink anything in her house for that reason.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never can concentrate [can't do anything] if my room is untidy.

Once I learned that it was impossible to do anything unless everything was neat and in its place, normally these days, before I go to sleep I'll clean up my desk, the tables, stack up the books I've been reading or using as reference so that the next day when I get up, I won't have to lose too much time trying to make the rooms tidy because without that I can't get anything done.

It's better that way IMO. If you know a messy room might be a problem, you fix it.

4. blasianchick

blasianchickNew Member

Threads:
    I think I function much better in a tidy space. However, I'm the first to admit, I'm an unorganized person. It doesn't take long for my surroundings to become a disarray even after cleaning. And I procrastinate a lot so I'll put off cleaning until I just can't stand the mess anymore.
    I wasn't always this way. I used to be real neat until I had children. It's so difficult keeping order in your home when your toddlers are creating a mess behind you, literally as you're cleaning! So after a while, you kind of give up. Ha.ha.
    But lately, I've deligated chores to my 9 year old, who helps tremendously. And little sis tries to copy big bro when she sees him picking up. So our home is more orderly, and frankly I do function way better in a clean environment.
    But hey, some people like clutter. It doesn't distract them from thinking straight. To each his own.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I concentrate better in a tidy space but I can still get things accomplished in a messy space if I have no choice. It's easier to get productive work done when you have everything organized but sometimes you have to tune out a mess and get to work anyway.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on my mood. In general I can't go to sleep unless things are tidy or do anything important without things in place. Recently I have had to try to ignore any mess, because I would spend too much time tidying up and not doing anything else.

If I am working I like to have everything I need to hand before I start or if I am cooking, a kitchen clear of things so I can concentrate. There's nothing worse than stray items or washing up in your way.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I can absolutely concentrate well in a dirty house environment, because I grew up in a house that got messy everyday but cleaned up at night everyday too. Also, a dirty room doesn't deter me from what I need to do that is important and must be done - it's no different than when repairing a dilapidated house, I focus one one thing at a time in order to accomplish my goal to fix it. Although, I would rather have my house organized and cleaned, so I don't have to worry about something rotting and making me ill, or having to find something important I need in a pile of junk which may waste a lot of my time.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind either as long as it's appropriate for the mood I'm in at the time. Sometimes I'd feel bored when the room is too tidy and it makes me feel uninspired but sometimes the clutter does tend to cramp me a bit so I just tend to ride out the messiness until I get in the mood for a clean room once again though for the most part I do just keep the room tidy just because it looks nicer.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Being surrounded by clutter makes it harder to concentrate when you are not able to be organized, but as already mentioned above, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and figure out how to make your circumstances work for you. If you've moved, had to downsize, etc., sometimes you can't avoid having things piled up, but you don't always want to get rid of everything and have to start all over - especially if you've already done it.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good question. I always say: messy house, messy mind, and the other way round. I am not pedantic when it comes to organizing my home, as long as I always know where everything is when I need it. But, admittedly, at times things get a little bit out of hand, and occasionally I forget to put things away. But it never lasts for long, since I don't feel comfortable with things piling up or being neglected for too long.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in between on this. I didn't used to be so dependent on my surroundings before, but I do feel the tension rising when the house is in a messy condition. I get over this by looking for inspirational interior design ideas and home decorating ideas from StylishHomes or Houzz. Pick up a few tips on decluttering and managing the difficult areas, apply them and try as hard as I can not to be controlled by the messy view.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely focus better in an organized environment...I can be really particular about things being organized and clutter free, but at the same time I am still *able* to focus in a messier environment, just not as well. I know some people that absolutely cannot focus until everything is in order, but I'm thankful that I'm not quite that bad about it.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not have any problems in focusing even if I have to sit in messy area. I think I do not mind anything as long as I have a good time doing my work.

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I'm one of those people. Even if my house is clean, I can't really focus in my house anyway. I just get too distracted way too easily and can't get work done the way I want to. Normally, for most of my studying or work, I'll try and go to the library or a coffee shop to get myself away from the distractions at home. I'll only work from home if I have no other better option.

15. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Though I don't like messy environments, I don't always have the time or energy to do a thorough cleaning job. So I try to move things out of the way as best as possible. I find myself putting things away throughout the day. I can live in an environment that is a little cluttered here and there, as long as the space in front of me is tidy.

16. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I really feel disturbed while my surroundings area would be messy and unclean.It really effects on my mood if i am in good and clean environment i will be happy and could focused on my task more effectively. I can't bear mess around me. :mad:

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a tricky situation for me, because I absolutely hate to clean and organize, but as I don't have the money to hire someone to clean for me I do it myself. I hate it when my apartment is messy and dirty, but I hate to put it back in order, so sometimes I postpone it more than I should. Which is actually pretty dumb because when it gets messy I feel very uncomfortable.

18. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I really can't focus when I feel the environment is messy. I don't like a messy place it makes me feel irritated. I can't concentrate on the things I want to work if it is not organized as well it is clean.

19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'll do anything to avoid cleaning and procrastinate for as long as possible. I get a lot of work, personal projects, and writing done when there are messes to avoid cleaning up. When things are clean, I just want to lay around and read. If they're a mess, I can't mentally justify ignoring the mess to read but I can ignore it to write or work.

20. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I currently live with my uncle, and he's a lawyer. He usually doesn't have the slightest time to arrange his thoughts, put aside all law files, and although I don't condone messy places, I've got used to it. I don't have so many options to choose from, anyway.
    When I was in high school, I couldn't stand messy places, as they only made me less focused from all work I needed to fulfill in a short time span unless I arranged around.
    To conclude, yes, messy places are bothersome, but I don't think it's impossible to live with them if it's out of necessity.