WhatsApp Rumored To Become Available in Browsers Soon

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by troutski • Dec 20, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most free messaging apps on Android and iOS have a website presence where users can access their accounts. Some of the Web browser variants come with the same features as the smartphone apps. WhatsApp is a notable exception here, but the company is apparently working on WhatsApp Web, which would let users access their accounts and send messages from their Web browsers. This comes with other indications that the company is looking to introduce voice and video calling. Looks like WhatsApp is preparing to take on Skype.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's good news. I'm already getting tired of Skype, Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk. I don't know what to look forward to anymore when using these instant messaging programs. A new messenger would be a breath of fresh air, a welcome respite from the usual. I'm not very familiar with WhatsApp but I hope it lets you talk to other people outside of your list too.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is good to know, lots of people want to chat on Whatsapp, but I have taken the stance to switch of my phone unless i want to call someone or am expecting a message. It's the only way to control my time. On my laptop I can be more disciplined, so will only check email and social media when I want to so this gives me more options.

4. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Excellent! With the trend of multi-platform on the market, this is good news. Even if only a small segment adopts the web as a platform for using whatsapp, traditional users will benefit by being able to interact with this segment, which -otherwise- they could not access.

Users with their mobile unit in repair (or lost) can also benefit. This can be a good marketing strategy for whatsapp if completed. Good for them!

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though there's no official word on this development, you have to imagine that it's coming, considering that it's a major weakness for WhatsApp to lack a web presence. It's just a convenient feature for users, and it gives them another platform with which to use the service. I can't see this service being introduced any later than the end of 2015 because WhatsAPp faces mounting pressure to keep up with its rivals, like Skype and Viber.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's an important move by Whatsapp to remain relevant. Skype is on a decline in my opinion, with more competitors coming onto the scene. Similarly, with LINE, Facebook Messenger etc. Whatsapp has to explore new platforms and innovate to prevent itself from becoming the next MSN Messenger.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love for WhatsApp to become available for browsers, especially because at work I have a lousy Internet signal and sometimes people send me messages and I will not be able to read them for hours. And if I do, sometimes the message takes a while to get sent. It's pretty frustrating! If I could use it on a browser it would make my life so much easier because it could just download it on my work computer and use it there.