Cheap Mobile Phone Option for Someone Who Doesn't Use Phone Much?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by PennySafe • Dec 22, 2014.

1. PennySafe

PennySafeNew Member

Threads:
    I am wondering what the best option may be for someone (me) who doesn't talk that much on the phone. My contract has been up for months and I hate paying $90 for a cell phone bill when I barely use my phone! I have no need for apps or internet, but I do want a texting plan. I also want to keep my same phone number. What would be a good option for me? Do the cheap prepaid phones allow texting?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they do. I had a Nokia phone just for the purpose you described. I didn't want to get a service plan because I still have my land line and the prepaid phone just gave me the convenience of having that communication tool when I really needed it. I have a smartphone now and I still use the prepaid service through T-Mobile.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I use straighttalk prepaid services with a straighttalk smart phone I purchased at walmart. I pay $45 a month for unlimited talk, texting and data. For $30 a month you can get unlimited talk and texting, which sounds like it would suit you fine. Assuming you already have a phone that you like, I am pretty sure you can still use it with straighttalk services.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You mean the OP uses the phone for only texting and rarely calls or user data bundles? The best thing to do is to purchase a separate card and then register for a cheap option for an unlimited texting plan. After the other contract expires, discontinue and use a prepaid plan.

5. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    A cheap basic phone would do for you. There are so many of them. You just have to look for a durable type from a renowned brand like Nokia or Samsung. Judging by your statements above, it would be costly to pay phone bills yet you barely use it. However, if it were me, I would have maintained a smartphone but change on my bills pattern. For instance, I would unsubscribe services that tend to make my phone bill fluctuate.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cellphone is seldom used and the usual message I get is from my wife only. But I still need the phone for my regular communications. My phone is the old Nokia 3340 (not sure of the model). It is not a smart phone but it's good for texting and calling. However, the smart phone is like a small computer that can be used for the internet so I agree that the smart phone is better. I was gifted a smart phone which I use for internet but I retain my Nokia for purposes of communication.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There seem to be more and more options out there that are different than the norm, which is great to see. I am more and more considering actually making that switch, which I did not really think would happen, but here we are.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    For a starter or a person who doesn't use phone that much it maybe be alright to start with a cheap and easy to understand mobile phone. Since this person is not going to use phone as much as others would do. If you looking to getting an Android phone, then a 1G ram may just be okay for a start, as such phones are usually cheap in the market.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't consider the brand as the main features that your phone should have, you can get varieties of phones for a small price. Some Chinese and Indian companies produces good quality cheap phones. If you are looking for ordinary hand set, you can get if for as little as $10 and you can get a smartphone for just about $25.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a sim only plan for my granddaughter for £15 a month. She had one of my old phones so all I had to do was get a sim card plan. She has unlimted texts and calls and a small amount of data which she doesn't really use. I find this much cheaper than constantly putting credit on her phone. She would use it too quickly so I refused to keeping putting more on and then the sim card would expire. This way is much better and I know I can always get hold of her.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have a basic Samsung mobile phone which takes care of my voice and sms needs. I do not need any upgrades. Upgrades are more to fill the pockets of those industries who rely on such gimmicks to survive. I have a camera that does a good job for me.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Going prepaid is the way to go, you can just reload the credits when you are ready to use them. I have owned a prepaid phone all my life and I don't feel the need to subscribe to a plan since my usage is quite low.

13. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    Look for a Chinese phone. They have very cheap smart phones but working as good as any other smart phone around. I am a fan of their phones. Well, they might not serve you for a very long time but during their stay, they are great.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a commercial about Consumer Cellular, where plans start as low as $10! If you qualify, you could get a free smartphone called an ObamaPhone, from different phone companies. I read mixed reviews about Consumer Cellular either they love their service or hate it. Good luck in finding the right phone company!