Do You Prefer Silver Or Gold Jewelry?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hayrake • Dec 26, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer the look of silver to the look of gold. So, even if I choose gold I tend to choose white gold. I do have some yellow gold pieces that were gifts that I've had for years. And I've got some pieces that are mixed gold and silver that I like very well, particularly with some of my western clothing; but mostly I think silver wins hands down where I'm concerned. And, really, I think silver makes most stones show up better, too.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree. Although I'm not fond of wearing jewelry, I think silver is a better choice, because of it's color. The yellowish hue of gold is not that appealing to look at, in my opinion. However, old jewelry is more popular with the older generations, though.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like silver a lot more because gold is a bit too loud for my taste. I don't mind wearing a bit of it every now and then and I don't mind seeing it on other people either especially if it really suits them, but personally I just prefer silver. I also agree that it tends to make other ornaments shine better with it as a backdrop.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Silver for me. My religion does not allow males to wear gold jewelry so gold is not a choice. Actually if I can afford it, I would like have some platinum jewelry. Maybe just a simple platinum ring.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gold is a no-no for me, I just find it tacky looking! I've always been a silver person, and would also buy white gold and platinum if I could afford them. I agree with the poster who said gold tends to be more popular with the older generation. To me it also has that dated feel about it. Both my engagement and wedding rings are white gold and my husband went with titanium. He's also not a fan of gold.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I'm wearing. The shine and the yellowish color of gold complements darker hues, so I don't wear gold unless I wear a darkish outfit like black or navy blue. Between gold and silver, however, the latter is more versatile. It blends with just about anything I wear. Bright colors and a denim overcoat make the silver pop.

7. downsouth

downsouthMember

Threads:
    I got my wedding band that is gold. I don't wear any other jewelry except for a gold chain at really special occasions. As for a preference I don't really have any. It is like asking me if I prefer jeans or khakis.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it all depends on the piece. I like big, bold, unusual artisan jewelry, preferably something that I designed myself. Generally, I prefer semi-precious stones set in silver with certain pure gold elements included. I only ever buy jewelry directly from the artist. I don't support commercially designed pieces that have been created in third world countries, using cheap labor and exploiting people.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I like jewelry that is made with gold and silver. Gold is too bright and too much brandishing for me, and it attracts robbers. Silver is great, but when I need to find it, it's a bit hard especially if I dropped it somewhere. Having jewelry that is made of gold and silver creates a uniqueness about it, makes it more distinguishable, and in esoteric themes, is the union between sun and moon or male and female. Plus, silver and gold have their own healing effects, which humans have forgotten or are not aware of.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People often ask me this question lol. Probably because I rarely wear a lot of jewelry, and they want a neutral person's point of view? Lol. I don't know. Anyway, for my complexion personally, I prefer silver. Or platinum gold. I just have always found that gold can be a little tacky in certain instances. Especially if overdone? Silver is much more understated and it has an elegant gleam to it. It's classy. That is why chavs over here mostly wear gold lol.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Gold has a white and yellow variation. The white one doesn't look like it differ at all from the silver one. But people won't really care if it were gold or silver, but they generally and I am included the color of silver which you could just have with the white gold, which in terms of value is greater. So to answer this question, I would really prefer the white gold over the silver and the yellow gold, but I would definitely prefer the silver over the yellow gold.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gold Jewelry. When I was younger for some reason I only liked silver, but then as I grew up I found out Gold Jewelry complimented my complexion way better - it looks better with my yellow tone skin and dark hair and eyes. So now I will only wear gold or rose gold, I never ever wear silver.

13. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a real big fan of gold and platinum. I have a couple of watches that are a gold and silver blend of some sort, but for the most part I don't really lean towards it that much. I have a lot of grey pieces of clothing and I think that silver accessories will get lost within the outfit, or it will just make the outfit look bland. I like the way gold stands out, and it's usually a natural contrast to most things I wear.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also tend to find that with a lot of people who wear gold jewelry, they tend to over do it? I don't think that all of these people are trying to overdo it or look blinged out, but because gold is such a prominent color and material, it's immediately noticeable and too much can look tacky. Of course, you have the people who just bling themselves out in gold everything. Watches, teeth, chains. I don't mind how thin gold chains look, but a thin gold chain will never look as good as a silver or platinum one.

15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always prefer silver to gold. I often think that gold looks tacky -- and it clashes horribly with my skin most of the time.

16. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I like the colour yellow, but for some reason gold jewelry never really appealed to me. I have a watch and an ear piercing, but all of them jewelry I own are silver. I find that it can go a lot more with different clothes. And also, like Nikki said, gold does seem a bit tacky to me. I guess more and more it seems something that my grandparents would wear, or just to show off.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like both, but I find myself wearing silver more often. My complexion leans slightly cool, so it looks better, plus it suits more of my wardrobe than gold does. I won’t lie though, sometimes I enjoy indulging my slightly trashy side with probably too much gold, but if I do that I try to keep everything else super simple.

18. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love silver accessories! I have a few gold ones too but I just do not think they look good on me. Just like you, I prefer white gold too. I find that silver accessories are easier to mix and match with other blings lol.

19. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer silver or white gold. I don't care for yellow gold. I think the silver looks much nicer and if there are gems in the piece of jewelry it really makes them stand out against the silver.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear Sterling Silver I have a skin allergy that does not allow me to wear gold or gold covered jewelry.