Price difference between generic and branded products

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Dec 27, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is the difference in price between generic and a branded product that will make you choose to buy one over the other? If an item is a penny or two cheaper, yes a company can advertise it as cheaper, but would you choose to do that over a few pence?

If the price difference is more than 5-10 pence or cents then that's the gray area for me, so I look at percentage of ingredients to make a decision. Anything over 10p, I go for generic unless the branded is on offer.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only choose generic products when it comes to medicines. There is a big price difference between the generic ones and medicines manufactured by big pharmaceutical companies. Other than that, I don't really mind whether I pick a branded item or something that's not attached to a famous brand. I do think that the lesser known the product is, the cheaper it is.

3. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I buy a lot of generic foods and for the most part can't tell the difference. There are some things that I won't touch if they're generic because they just don't taste the same. However, even if I only save a few cents on each item, it does eventually add up to enough of a savings on that grocery bill to make a difference.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm purchasing. If it's something I really need and that paying extra will give me a better product, I'm going for quality. However, if it's a price difference of a dollar or more, I'm going for the cheaper brand. Most products tend to contain the same ingredients and ratios in mass, while the quality is but slightly different but not much to cause something hugely noticeable.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I also use this method on brand name products as well especially if the item is on sale and I have coupons. There are certain generic products that I wouldn't purchase no matter how much cheaper or more for the money that's offered. I've had to many disappointments that lead to waste after buying generic brand products.

6. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I actually read/heard somewhere that this is true and that the only real difference is in the packaging. However, at the same time, I also agree with Mrs. Jones in that there are some generic items that simply don't taste the same. I don't know if you all are familiar with the Aldi's grocery store chain but to me their generic brands are trash but my parents think they're great. So, here again, is another difference that it boils down to: your taste. There are just a lot of factors that go into deciding on whether or not to purchase generic.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's all about quality and integrity. I don't support multi-national corporations and the exploitation of workers, even children, in third world countries. Therefore, I am not interested in buying brand names. I buy directly from the people who produce the items that I need. And if that isn't possible, I look for suitable alternatives.

8. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I am pretty brand loyal for the most part, so my choice is not price driven. If it is a product that I don't use often I will do not only a price comparison but also a ingredient comparison. this is especially true if I have to buy a can good. I am getting so things like laundry detergent and dish soap do not matter as much, I have found the cheaper Trader Joe brand works just as good as the name brands, smells nice too!

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In some stores generic brands match other stores like for like and price their items compared to the branded items. In the UK they do break it down to how much each item is per 100g so you can work out which is cheaper, but that's by weight and not quality. For example my father buys a lot of soya milk and the generic brand has a higher percentage of soya beans in it than other brands so it works out better price wise and quality wise for him.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    From my personal experience the price difference to climb as high as the thrice the value of the other, which is the generic paying for what? Basically, it's not just the name, but other side substances that's included or contained in the tablet to make the most of its effectivity. But as true as it is that medicines' effectiveness varies from person to person. Although to the majority, the branded ones are more effective, it doesn't apply to all to whom the generic brand could just work well as with the branded.

11. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on how I feel about the product in general. I know when I am buying burgers (for grilling) there is only one or two brands that I will buy because I favor the taste of those burgers above the others. When it comes to something like rice I would look at the prices and see if one is on sale or something like that. It usually goes that way from product to product. I would even go as far as saying when I'm buying solid color t-shirts, I'm pretty conflicted between branded and not branded.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to food, I'm very choosy about what I buy. I go solely off taste, and will just not be twisted over that. Sometimes it's also down to Brand loyalty. Cleaning materials are another matter; I will compare prices and choose the cheaper brand even if it's only a few pennies' difference. However, I also have to like that product and have confidence in it doing what it says on the tin. It's not just a matter of oh that one's cheaper, forgone conclusion; I'm going with it! Some things are cheap for a reason!

13. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    When it comes to pharmaceuticals, I would buy generic if they are available (antibiotics, pain relievers, vitamins). Branded medicinal products have prices that are sky high, which would have the same effect on your body as the generic ones because they contain the same kind of remedy your body needs, anyway.