Did Any Of You Receive Anything For Christmas This Year That You Feel Strongly Was A Re-gifted Item?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by hayrake • Dec 28, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the title pretty much says it all in this case. I am just curious if anyone received anything that they are pretty sure was a re-gift; and, if so, what makes you think so?
    I, myself, did for the first time in my life receive something that my initial thought upon opening was, "Oh! This is a re-gift."
    And that first thought didn't go away, either. There was no particular reason that I can see why I would have thought that. No tell tale signs. Just a gut reaction and I'm fairly certain I'm right. Not that it matters. It's just a weird feeling.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Who cares if it's a re-gift, apparently you seem to expect more from this individual and assume to have been given less, yet you ignore the fact that this person even took the time to think about you, wrap the gift, and give to you. People these days stressing over re-gifts, as if that gift it self is a original item, which it is not. Think of all those people who didn't get a gift this year for Christmas because no human cared for them, they died before or even on the holiday, or they don't practice the tradition, maybe then you'll appreciate what you got hayrake... or not, because you believe whatever you believe, no other human can change that.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That's just the thing. I'm not in any way an unnappreciative type. I certainly understand how you might read it that way, though, since you don't know me. And then, too, there is the history between myself and this person, which is considerable. And long. Something just doesn't feel right and I don't know what it is.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have regifted an item that I did not return but it just -gifting is not a bad thing in my not my style. I did not want to give it to the Goodwill so I gave it to someone I felt would appreciate it. Re-gifting is okay. I have even gone to the Goodwill found gifts that someone was given and they gave it to the Goodwill, the tags were still on the item so I purchased it and gave it as a gift.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    In a sense, I have re-gifted items in that, as you say, I received something that was not my style (or sometimes not my size) and I knew someone whose style or size it was and I would give it to them. Not really as a gift, though. I mean, a gift of sorts but for no occasion and not wrapped--I guess you could say I've "re-homed" a few things.:)
    I've also picked things up at thrift stores where I was certain someone else I knew would use it. There again, a gift but not really a gift as there was no occasion for it. Just an "Oh look what I found, I thought you might like this" kind of thing.
    And I don't really have a problem with re-gifting. That is, I wouldn't tell anyone, if asked, that it was particularly wrong. I just think there might be some rules and subtleties to the art of re-gifting that could be followed. I haven't really considered what those rules and subtleties might be though.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never get any Christmas gifts because everyone [those who know me that is] know that I don't celebrate Christmas. It's been so since I was a kid. However if someone broke the "rules" and sent me a gift but it happened to be something they'd received as a gift from someone else, I wouldn't mind it. A gift to me is, a gift even if it costs nothing to buy it. It's the thought that counts.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think so because all the clothes and bags I got seemed to be tailored to my taste which is great since I can actually use them. Probably some of the food gifts our family got might have been re-gifted though but I'm not too worked up about that since they are still food and are just as delicious no matter who else got to them first. As long as they weren't touched prior to when we got it then I'm okay with it.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think I got some "re-gifted" items this Christmas. I don't mind receiving those since I know that they are just being practical and are also just following the tradition of gift giving during the Christmas season. In fact, I don't even mind not receiving any gifts at all. The commerciality of the season has become so sickeningly annoying to the point that it causes depression and suicide to some. I still appreciate the gesture that they remembered and even bothered assigning a gift to me. Sometimes, I am happy that they are regifting items. They make the holiday traffic more tolerable by not going out to buy a gift for me.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't think so that there's among the gifts I received this Christmas that was only re-gifted to me. If ever there is, then it's really something good and that has not yet been used, so all in all, it's just fine that I have that gift. Besides, I wouldn't really care if that was a gift from someone else originally directed to another or to the one who gave it to me as long as it fits me, my taste and that I am happy with it. I think that the important thing is the message behind why that particular gift is given to you.