What Is Travel Insurance

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by Waynefire • Jun 22, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had this before and never really experienced it before. So what exactly is this?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance is meant to cover anything that may happen on a planned trip including cancellation. Depending on the plan, it can cover medical expenses, loss baggage, travel vendors who default, legal expenses, funeral expenses, etc. It will cover just about anything that can go wrong on a trip.

There are so very limited insurance that will only cover the cost of the plan fight if the plane crashes.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Parker pretty much covered it, and really well too. I have purchased travel insurance a number of times and was not completely sure what all it covered but the one I purchased covered all potential health complications, lost baggage etc...and some will even transport your corpse back home if you die, kind of morbid that but yeah...if you are an extreme traveler: good to know.

Just for covering the baggage alone...it is super helpful. A friend of mine's baggage that had to go to London (with her) landed up in New York...and as such, the insurance helped out big time!

4. hairreplace

hairreplaceNew Member

Threads:
    Finding a flight with the fare you want is tough enough. When you consider the taxes and surcharges, extra fees for baggage, the cost of travel to and from the airport, and an extra five bucks a pop for a bag of peanuts, the last thing you want to add to your airfare’s bottom line is travel insurance.

5. mark.1

mark.1New Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance is insurance that is intended to cover medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses incurred while traveling, either within one's own country, or internationally. The primary benefit of travel insurance is the knowledge that should something go wrong while you are abroad, you won't be responsible for finding the money to put it right, at a time when you are already stressed out.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, Parker covered it.

I have bought it before when I was going to be staying out of the country for an extended amount of time. It was important for me to be taken care of, just in case something were to happen. I don't bother when I'm only going to be traveling for a few days or anything, though.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Parker explained it very well, and it isn't something to be ignored. I have used it both domestically and internationally. Here's a domestic example - I had my rental car broken into and my luggage stolen. My traveler insurance covered the luggage and handled the issues with the rental company. An international example would be when I broke my leg while studying abroad in Europe. I didn't have to worry about the medical expenses or the airline upgrade I needed to find space for my leg.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have traveled through Asia for two years without travel insurance. It was a risk I was willing to take, maybe I was stupid but I got away with it and came home unscathed. Whether your prepared to take the risk or not is down to your personal preference.

9. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Travel insurance is insurance that is intended to cover medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses incurred while traveling, either within one's own country, or internationally. Temporary travel insurance can usually be arranged at the time of the booking of a trip to cover exactly the duration of that trip, or a "multi-trip" policy can cover an unlimited number of trips within a set time frame. Coverage varies, and can be purchased to include higher risk items such as "winter sports".

10. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Travel insurance is insurance which covers medical expenses, financial default of travel suppliers, and other losses if happen during traveling, either within one's own country, or internationally.

11. super7

super7New Member

Threads:
    I think it's best to get the travel insurance, especially if you're on a trip where you may experience some uncertainty with regards to flight schedules. The type of trip should also be considered. Most airlines have exhorbitant charges for changing your flight and the cost of the insurance is usually much lower than the change fee.

12. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    As explained, it seems like travel insurance is a bargain for all the different contingencies it covers. Depending on where you are traveling, I think there is every reason to carry it for unforeseen emergencies. Sounds like it you can afford it, there is no reason to pass on it.

13. rafaelkarosa

rafaelkarosaBanned

Threads:
    Travel insurance will cover your medical expenses, financial default of travel supplies and other loses while travelling. This can be inside the country or overseas depending on your insurance policies. You can also arrange temporary travel insurance at the time of the booking of a vacation to cover the exact time period

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Do you get travel insurance through your regular insurance agent (car ect...) or do you get it through another agency? It does seem like it would be a good idea to have in case any issues come up.

15. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I've never bought travel insurance. If you are paying with a credit card, they might already have travel insurance included as part of their service.

16. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance is short-term insurance available specifically against travel-related emergencies and expenses. International travelers will almost always want to obtain travel insurance because it covers medical expenses, but even other travelers may find it useful depending on their plans. Often grouped under the term "Travel Insurance" is trip cancellation insurance, travel medical (international health insurance), evacuation-only plans, and flight insurance (temporary AD&D)

17. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Wayne fire ! I also had not experienced it yet, but after reading the suggestions and benefits in above discussion. Now, I decided to think about it seriously. What will you say now about Travel Insurance? I think it should be clear now! I will make sure before travelling to anywhere to get travel insurance.

18. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    Choosing where to travel, where to stay and what to pack are some of the important points when planning a trip. However, few travelers remember that they are susceptible to unforeseen events, such as loss of luggage, contraction of illness and possible medical expenses. Such facts can be costly, as well as generating headache. Whether on a trip to Europe, to Brazil or even an exchange, take a quote and take out travel insurance that covers your trip unforeseen and that guarantees you peace of mind when traveling.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance covers your different expenses including loss of passport, loss/delay in baggage arrival and mishap during travel including hijack. You have two options of travel insurance, one issued by your home country companies and the other by the country you're visiting to. The home country companies pay very little but the companies visited pay more and faster but they charge a greater premium for the insurance.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Insurance is for the protection of the insured for anything that is covered by the insurance company. In the case of travel insurance, it is general assured by the insurance agency to cover the cost for damages may incur while traveling like the cancellation of the flight, loss of baggage, medical expenses, among others. Though it is costly but it is worth it.