What do you do with your receipts?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by BarelyHangingOn • Jun 22, 2012.

1. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I have looking for a receipt after I buy something and decide I have to take it back or it breaks.
    I have a large freezer ziplock bag in my junk drawer and throw all of my reciepts in there when I get home so I know where they are when I need them.
    I know some people scan them in case they fade over time but I am too lazy.

What do you do?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I, uh...

I leave them in bags, on the table, in the car.... I frequently lose them, lol. If it's an electronic item or something that was expensive, then yes, I try to hold onto the receipt. Often times I'll put it directly in the packaging that the product came in, so I know where it is. Otherwise, though, I really don't pay attention like I should.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I keep them in a pile somewhere for a couple of days and throw it out later. If it's for something pricey/expensive, I'll try to hold onto it better, but I lose them most of the time anyway.

4. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Basically I do what Jessi and Nopguy do. I have all these good intentions to file those that need filing and to throw the cash slips away, but in reality I have little heaps lying everywhere. When they start irritating me I gather them all up and place them in one big pile in my dressing table draw. The final stage is when I am in a springcleaning mode, I just throw them all away and hope that I will never need one of those little slips. So far so good.

5. MasterProX

MasterProXMember

Threads:
    I keep all my receipts in an envelope which stays in one of my kitchen drawers.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I keep my receipts in a file as I need to keep them for accounting purposes, especially big ticket items. It is also good for keeping an eye on what you are spending....especially when you look at it many months later. Once they are no longer needed, I toss them.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also need my receipts for tax purposes. I staple them together monthly and put them in an envelpe dated by month. Sometimes I will scan them into my computer but since I have lost 2 computers in the last 2 years that may not be that smart.

8. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    They just stay in my purse for a few weeks or so until I finally decide to clean them up. Then the ones I keep probably go in my drawer with a pile of other papers I don't have time to look through.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I throw them out immediately, unless it's electronics, then I keep it. I don't see the point in keeping all those receipts if the items aren't expensive. I know people that keep receipts for toothpaste and bread. Which is a little strange to me, but if that makes you feel more comfortable, I guess it's okay.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too! Some get rid right away. I throw out my grocery receipts immediately. I rarely have a need to return anything to the store. The few times I did, the store took it back with no problems because they know me.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have no use for receipts. I pay my bill, look at the receipt to check that it's all in order and if the thing I have bought is not something under warranty, I just throw the receipt away. Well, actually I stuff the receipts into my drawer and, once in a while, clear out all the receipts at one go.

12. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I save the ones that I need for possible returns, like electronics or clothes for someone else and I am not sure they will fit. The others get tossed. Much easier now than in the early days of debit cards when the entire number showed on the receipt!

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Every month I mark the envelope with whatever month it is and stick them in there. Makes it easier to go back and find them later because it narrows down the search. After a few months I just throw them away. Its just incase I have to return something usually.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I also store my receipts in a large freezer bag so they will be around for how ever long I think I need them because a lot of times when you pay the bills they will com back and say you didn't pay your bill especially the phone company. So I hold on to them like my life depended on it. The company that I'm with does that all the time and it is sickening. It's AT&T if you must know. Do you all have any problems like that? Maybe there customer service people can't count, don't know what they are doing or just place anybody's bill anywhere they want and don't make a note on the right account or whatever they do. They do very bad business with their customers and don't seem to care no matter how many years that you've been a true customer.

15. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    Back when I had time I would sort them by month and then itemize into an Excel spreadsheet the purchases I make. I would then do a tally and see the total amount of money each month I spend on restaurants or on groceries etc. It was a good way to keep track of my own money and learn to discipline myself. Sadly, I have gotten out of the habit of doing it. I still keep the receipts to the side on some off chance I get back to it.

At the moment they are all sort of mixed and I keep them in a tissue box or two. I did recently go back through to get the price of my iced coffee I purchase adjusted. I will post that rant elsewhere however.

16. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I am really bad and just put all my receipts in the bin! I keep meaning to sort them out so I can see what I have spent but then they just pile up too much and I chuck them away!

17. trendchaser

trendchaserMember

Threads:
    I tear them off and throw away except for some important ones which are required for claims..

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I usually throw them all away... old habits die hard. I should keep them in some sort of box or something.

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I used to hold on to old movie stubs a lot. But I stopped doing that a few years back. I don't keep receipts unless it's absolutely necessary. Mostly, if I buy something on credit or debit. Or if it's Christmas time. Because sometimes stuff has to go back to the store. But once I check out my purchases and see that they're working ok. Or the food smells fresh, then I throw the recepts away. As they are no longer of any use and just cause clutter.

20. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I store them in my wallet for weeks, sometimes months in case I need to return something. I eventually throw them all away once my wallet won't zip anymore.