Travel Budget

Discussion in Travel started by tulosai • Jul 1, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    How often do you go on a vacation in a year and how much do you tend to spend?

I usually take only one big trip a year. I try to go abroad during that trip when I can. Overall I probably spend between $1,000 and $2,000 on those trips depending on when and where I go. I also take weekend trips closer to home around once every 6 weeks. I spend much less on those, probably usually between $200 and $300, sometimes as little as $25 or $50 if I have friends to stay with. Overall I do spend a lot on travel in a year but it's important to me and I am willing to scrimp and save on other things to account for this.

How about you? What is your attitude toward travel?

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I also would travel once a year. I mean out of the country and I am really saving money for it. I usually do that when the years is about to end and I consider it as a gift to myself after another year of living. The last time I spent for my trip was about $4,000. I can;t even believe that I did save that amount for just 6 months.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I always believe in traveling on a tight budget. It's more fun that way. I know that, for some people, the only proper way to travel is by air and by staying in five-star hotels. The way I see it, traveling is an adventure and the closer I can get to the natives, the more fun it is.

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree to some extent though I've recently decided I am too old for hostels- the atmosphere there just doesn't fit with my pace of life anymore. I do occasionally couch surf and I really enjoy that both as a way to save money and as a way to get to know real people in a city. However, I mostly stay at budget hotels now like Best Western.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Lately, I've been taking one trip a year. They usually end up being a long extended weekend on a budget. My budget is usually slim and about $500-$1000 including the ticket, gas , lodgeing. I usually try to book a hotel that features continental breakfast for free so I can save money on breakfast costs.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I take about 2 or 3 trips per year that cost $2k-$3k. Sometimes I take some smaller ones as well. I had going on vacation if I have to worry about the amount of money I spend though. If I am going to be stressed about money I would rather just not go.

7. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have not had a vacation in about 4 years. The money just is not present right now. I got hurt as a firefighter and had to take a disability pension retirement. So this really ate up all the money we had and to stay afloat my wife and I had to use credit cards which really killed us so now we are fighting to get out from under that.

8. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends where you're traveling. In Southeast Asia, if you're happy with living like a backpacker (ie. wooden bungalows, fan room, eating local food), you can easily travel for $1000 USD a month. If you'd like to travel slightly more upmarket than that, double it to $2000, and you'll practically be living like a rockstar! In South America, it's slightly more expensive, but not terribly so. The trick is to not book anything in advance, and speak to locals and other travelers and ask them for their recommendations when you get there. Pre-booked packages/ tours/ accommodation is almost always more expensive.

9. coolaaryan777

coolaaryan777New Member

Threads:
    When anyone make the tour for anywhere, then the budget is the first thing for consideration. Every tourist want to make its tour according to budget and facilities. Travel budget make easy to select the destination and services according tourist budget.

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    My budget depends on where I'm really going. If it's out of the country it will range $1000-$2000. I always look for a plane ticket ahead of time so I can save money. I arrange my travel on my own. I don't use any travel agency. I don't stay in a five star hotel, because I find it impractical since I'm out most of the time. I love travelling. I do it once or twice a year.

11. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I think you would need US 1800.Things can be pretty expensive and this budget is specially for the European countries and second thing that you must plan how long your trip..

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If the trip we take is "the trip", meaning that we saved a whole year to take it, we tend to spend pretty much and don't limit our budget. If we travel on a smaller scale, something like a weekend trip somewhere close, we spend little and save our cash. The way I see things is this: if you travel a lot you must watch your money in order to be able to afford the many travels; and if you travel once per year as a vacation, you're free to spend as much as you want in order to make that vacation worthwhile.