Payless shoe source-- any cheaper alternatives?

Member Reputation: 12
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like

Payless shoe source-- any cheaper alternatives?

I used to go to Payless shoe source but they have gotten expensive and to make matters worse, their sales people are aggressive and I don't need that. I always feel like I am being hustled through. Really I can find my way just fine. Their cheapest shoes (that I can wear) are in the $60 range. I need a sturdy shoe to support my feet.
    Does anyone know of any decent alternatives? Wally world is pretty expensive too. Of course at least Wally world does not descend on you with sales people the instant you walk through the door. I live in the Finger Lakes region if that helps.

Member Reputation: 16
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I have not been having this experience with Payless at all. I do think sometimes their shoes are a but pricey on the budget I have but I certainly don't know of anywhere cheaper. I mostly wear flats and I can still find nice pairs there of fairly high quality for 15-20 dollars (and at that price I can't complain much about quality). What shoes are you buying that cost $60? I have only ever seen some boots and sneakers there for that much and honestly, for sneakers or boots of decent quality that is a fine price even though I do know it's a lot for some budgets.

Journeyman Reputation: 14
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of prices everywhere go up. Good workout shoes are ranging from $50-$80. It sounds ridiculous, but in a way, if you want something that supports you and works well with what you need it to do, then that's a good price. Payless, however, shouldn't be that expensive, unless you ventures towards their version of designer brands. Sometimes well-known brands like Rebok, Steve Madden, or anything else around that level would be considered as designer and would be much more expensive.

If you have a Ross/Marshalls/TJ Max in your area, I would recommend giving those places a shot. It's where I get my shoes and clothing from and I've never once regretted buying something from there.

Good luck on your search of finding cheaper shoes that you need!

KNH
    Enthusiast Reputation: 18
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to find cheaper shoes online?
    I agree with you about Payless prices. They seem to be going up to me too.
    I wear a large size for a woman so my choices are limited and as the prices keep rising it is getting harder to find a pair that I will actually pay for

Faithful Poster Reputation: 73
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of $60 shoes at Payless. Wow. Anyway, don't be deterred by the bigger name stores as they all have sales. Perhaps that is how Payless is sneaking their prices up, people are so conditioned to believe that they will automatically be cheaper that they aren't looking elsewhere. Try Target, Walmart, KMart, Sears, even Macy's. They all sell shoes and as I said before, they all have sales.

Grasshopper Reputation: 14
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shopping clearance racks at nigher priced stores is hit and miss when there's something specific that you need. I wouldn't count on clearance sales unless you have the budget to stock up.

There is a chain here in Dallas that sells all of their shoes for something like two pairs for $25. That's their entire marketing strategy and I think it's part of their store name. You might find something similar in your city but don't expect to find one in most shopping centers. These hole in the wall type stores can be hard to find but they are worth it when get a good one.

Faithful Poster Reputation: 44
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cheapest shoes you will find are at the 9.99 Shoe store. You guessed it all shoes are just 9.99. They are hit or miss. Sometimes they are really good quality and sometimes they are not. I don't think its a chain or franchise, you just have to check the yellow pages.

Member Reputation: 12
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrah View Post
    The cheapest shoes you will find are at the 9.99 Shoe store. You guessed it all shoes are just 9.99. They are hit or miss. Sometimes they are really good quality and sometimes they are not. I don't think its a chain or franchise, you just have to check the yellow pages.
    I appreciate the tip. I've never heard of them and I don't think we have any of their stores around here. Another person suggested that I should try a shopping online and Just might do that. One thing that drives me insane is pushy sales people. I can find my way just fine thank you.
    Of course the opposite to this is stores where you can any service at all and takes your half an hour to track anybody down to get some help with something. I have seen enough of those stores.

Ancient Poster Reputation: 82
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think shopping online would be your best option because there are no sales people there at all! You can also compare prices online between several stores. The disadvantage of online shopping would be the fact you might not be able to try them on before you purchase them. I would make sure that the website has a good return policy. If you get lucky, the online store will also have a local store with your shoes and size in stock so you can go there and just get them. I would also check out the shipping policies for both sending and returning, just in case.

QuirkyCookery.com Reputation: 277
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean. The price hike combined with the quality not being what it used to be is frustrating. I wouldn't recommend WalMart AT ALL either...they're far worse (and heck, you couldn't even find a sales person for there if you wanted to, so at least they're not pushy, huh?). Buying online is great, but if you need to try the shoes on, you need to be careful. I've found that it's better to go to an expensive store, find the shoes you want, try on the various sizes.....and then go buy them on Ebay or something for a fraction of the cost.

Pat
    Forum Veteran Reputation: 126
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jessi it is a good idea to find the shoes at a local store for fit and then local a ebay seller to get a better price. One of the reasons I don't purchase cloths online is I need to try them on.

Forum Master Reputation: 227
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do agree that Payless Shoe Source isn't as cheap as they used to be. Now, they are designer shoes. I was quite shocked. I just like Payless for cheap flats.

I also recommend buying shoes online if you don't have any special size needs. There are a lot of bargains to be found online.

Quick Digit Reputation: 18
    Reputation Power
    Threads
    Post Thanks / Like
    Target has nice shoes for pretty reasonable prices. I haven't shopped at Payless in a long time, but I know they have changed a lot over the years.

+ Post a Reply

Reload: Payless shoe source-- any cheaper alternatives?