How do you travel across country?

Discussion in Travel started by Sampson • Jul 13, 2012.

1. Sampson

SampsonNew Member

Threads:
    I often have to travel across country, usually to visit friends at university or occasionally for business. However, I'm usually torn between driving myself or getting the train. The train is usually slightly cheaper, but also takes more time; while the car is a lot more flexible but, as previously said, slightly more expensive and more harsh on the environment.
    I was just wondering how others travel across country, if they've found any ways to save money travelling or any tips and advice they can share?

My tips are get a fuel points card with your favourite fuel garage; not much return at first but you eventually get some comeback. As for the train, look around for websites that will do tickets without a service charge and/or early-bird discounts; I use redspottedhanky, I am in the UK though.

Hopefully some others will have some tips or advice or just share their experience :)

2. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have driven from coast to coast in the US 8 times in the past few years. I always go by car because I enjoy taking my time and seeing everything and taking photographs when I can. My dog is also too big to fly with so that's another reason I drive. He really seems to enjoy it.

If I only need to go to a city for a weekend or something I usually just fly though. I really hate the hassle of airport travel.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to travel by train. That's mainly because I travel for fun. Fun as in seeing new places and meeting new people. So when I travel by train, I travel in the third class coach. That's where I really get to meet new people. I have traveled in the second class coach and it was no fun at all. The people traveling in second class tend to keep to themselves even if they are seated right in front of you for a few hours.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We travel between the UK and Spain at least twice a year, and I usually drive, as we need transport in the UK, and hiring cars is quite expensive. We have a motorhome and a car, and we alternate between the two, so that the mileage doesn't rack up too much. When we come to sell the vehicles, that can make a difference to the price.

The single tip I'd pass on is that the quickest way isn't always the cheapest. We just drove 1200 miles through France and Spain, although the nearest ferry was 500 miles away. However, the DFDS ferry from Dunkirk to Dover was so cheap - especially for the motorhome - that even with the extra fuel and the cost of two night's accommodation en route, it was still less than half the cost of the Santander - Plymouth Brittany Ferries trip. If you don't have to get there in a hurry, it's well worth the saving.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Across country I tend to choose a train if possible...and second choice is a bus. My last choice would be a car. If you book beforehand or contact the company to find out what deals they have or who/what company they have relationships with, you can score a percentage off. Also, booking well before the time saves you quite a bit. Looking around and sometimes just asking for a good price. Traveling by train is awesome and there is often a different fare per 'class' etc. It is also environmentally friendlier, often.

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well it really depends on what the trip is for and whether it was a pre-planned trip or a last minute one. Usually if the trip is for business and running on a tight schedule, I guess the plane would be the best way to go and if you're an employee and have your traveling fare paid for, why not? If you're paying, travel economy with low-cost airlines and try to stick with one that has a frequent flyer program. This would allow you to exchange for free tickets for future trips especially if you fly frequently. For leisure and a pre-planned trip, I would prefer going either by car or train since I have more leeway in changing my course of travel if I feel like it. I guess driving between cities can be quite fun especially with the right company! When I'm driving, I make sure that I'm cruising consistently rather than constantly accelerating and braking since this would use up more fuel. Packing some food from home just before the road trip also can help in saving some money for food!

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If I'm actually traveling from one side of the country to the other, then I'm going to fly. As an American, the country is quite large, so it'd take several days to get across the whole area and without a full-blown road trip over several weeks, it wouldn't be worth while.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if the only choices are train or car and it's for business, I'd take the train as I'd believe that I would have an abundance of time to look over what I have to do. But, you are in the UK, so what you are talking about may be the equivalent of New York to D.C. or I guess Boston to D.C. at the most extreme. I think I would still catch a train if I had the time to plan it out.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I use trains most of the time. I can happily chill out and listen to music or read with no distractions at all. Driving, literally drives me crazy. I can also have a sleep on the train, which I can't do while driving.:D

10. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually sleep on trains because if I do, I would be missing out on the fun of talking to people which is one of the main attractions of traveling by train. I only sleep on buses during overnight trips.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in the US on the east coast, I have driven from California to Ohio with small children. It was fun, a little longer than I wanted to be but good for the kids. I have also flown across the country a few times, it is much quicker but not as much fun.

I have not had the opportunity to take a trip longer than a commuter trip but plan to soon, I like to watch the country side pass by. I can not say either is more or less cost effective as to personal choice.

12. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    We travel by plane if we go out of the states. It's very seldom that we drive. It's more convenient and more faster. We also travel by train. Especially if we travel by family or group. It's cheaper. Although it takes awhile but with a group it can be fun.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Canada is flipping huge, but I would still prefer to drive. I love road trips and there's tons to do and see along the way.

14. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    For USA cross country travel, I love the flexibility of the car. If your car isn't very fuel-efficient, maybe you could rent a hybrid? I just think America has so many great sites along its roadways that the car is the way to go!

15. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I traveled across Australia from the western most point to the eastern most point across the center and i think if you across the travel many things you take care rules and regulation..