Walking exercise works

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by katharinemae • Jul 14, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I just given birth 4 months ago and I still have my post-pregnancy body and all the body fat i acquired during the whole length of my pregnancy. I'm lazy and i'm not a fan of working out but i really need to lose weight and I can't think of a better way to lose some pounds than walking. It's easy! Walking is one of the easiest and most profitable forms of exercise. All you need is a good pair of shoes, comfortable clothing, and desire.

I searched the net for walking programs and here's some:
    How to start: First of all, start out slow and easy. Just walk out the door. For most people this means head out the door, walk for 10 minutes, and walk back. That's it? Yes, that's it. Do this every day for a week. If this was easy for you, add five minutes to your walks next week (total walking time 25 minutes). Keep adding 5 minutes until you are walking as long as desired.

WATCH your posture. Walk tall. Think of elongating your body. Hold your head up and eyes forward. Your shoulders should be down, back and relaxed. Tighten your abdominal muscles and buttocks and fall into a natural stride.

Be sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after walking. Incorporate a warm up, cool down and stretches into your routine. Start your walk at a slow warm up pace, stop and do a few warm up / flexibilty drills. Then walk for the desired length of time. End your walk with the slower cool down pace and stretch well after your walk. Stretching will make you feel great and assist in injury prevention.

I also visited my doctor before starting just to make sure that it's safe and ok for me.
    I've been walking every morning since I started, I'm getting to my target weight, one step at a time.
    Have you tried this exercise? did it work?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    My wife went to weight watchers so she was watching her calorie intake and got on a walking program. Instead of just sitting in the office at lunch time she would go for a 15-20 walk. After work she walks our dog for the same amount of time or more. She lost a great amount of weight this way.

It's important to remember though you can walk all you want but if you have more calories coming in the are going out then you aren't accomplishing anything. You still have to watch what you are eating.

3. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Walking is a great way to get back on the road to getting your old body back. Its also good for the baby to get out and get some fresh air. Keep in mind though that your body will have permanent changes thanks to the pregnancy, so you will most likely not go back completely to your old physique unless you were in tip top shape before you got pregnant and maintained your exercise routine during your pregnancy.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Walking is an easy way to keep fit. Professionals recommend at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day, and no doubt, take steps to me as one of the simplest ways to achieve that goal.

It´s not necessary to consider long-term goals, and tiring routines. Walking a little each day can achieve more than respectable. Not only do we keep our body toned, but also lubricate our joints and give a good rhythm to our metabolism.

It's a matter of creating the habit and stay fit. The level of demand should be increased generally given period of time before the body does not get used and become idle. I think in your particular situation, post-pregnancy exercise is highly recommended. Congratulations for your achievements.

5. katharinemae

Threads:
    You're definitely right, I forgot to mention that yes, one essential thing is proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. More fruits and veggies for me and less on carbo and fat.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I just took a walk today and I feel great. It's good exercise and I can really get the results I've always wanted. I'm trying to maintain good posture when I'm walking. When the weather is too hot outside, I stay inside and walk on the treadmill. Walking burns calories and best of all it's free.

7. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, walking is a great way to get back into shape. What can make your walking even more effective is if you can incorporate hills into your walking routine. Start with gently slopes and then move onto the more challenging hills. Not only will you find your body becoming more toned but your fitness level will improve as well.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It's a great all-round exercise, and it's convenient and free - you can fit it into your normal routine. I'd agree with Jennifer to incorporate hills into the walk, for a cardio workout. Also, carry a backpack with some cans of drink - or get a papoose carrier and take the baby with you. Adding more weight will increase your heart rate, as well as burning off more calories, and baby will enjoy the fresh air and the motion. Good luck, and let us know how you progress.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    There's a large hill next to my house, and I walk there at least 3 time a week. I like to walk up hill because it works your leg muscles. It really makes you sweat, and you're muscles will be sore the next day. People join gym's, but the best exercise if free in my opinion.

10. katharinemae

Threads:
    Thanks for the suggestion, it's a really good idea. I can bond with my baby while losing weight. That's a win-win situation right there. I will definitely bring my baby on my next walking exercise, with the hubby of course. It's going to be a family affair! :)

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually productive in more ways than one. You don't have to take a walk just to take a walk (unless you want to and have free time). You can actually go somewhere. If you live close enough to it, you can walk to the grocery store or walk to work. Or walk to go see a friend. Or run some errands. Kill two birds with one stone. I do this all the time to save myself from spending money taking a bus.

12. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I love walking. It gives me a lot of time to think and reflect about my issues and of course it helps me lose weight. Walking makes me productive and it also saves me money!

13. Declan

DeclanBanned

Threads:
    Hi Katharine,
    Walking is great cardio exercise to regulate metabolism, burn fat and lose weight. Oxygen inhaled during walking give great energy to our lungs and joints. Do start with walking program, set some goals and keep a walking log. Listen to your body and check your pulse.

14. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have started walking, but I'm only doing it because I know I need the physical exercise. I'm actually very slim and I have been doing long, slow walks so that I don't lose too much weight. I have been thinking about using 3 pound weights while walking just to see what type of results I get.

15. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    YEs I think walking is a great exercise to start with especially those who have just given birth. It is less stressful than any other exercise and also you can enjoy the view better when walking. It is also good that while you are seeing or feeling improvements while doing this exercise, you elevate it like you walk a little faster to cover longer distance. You can also jog if when you know that you already have the legs and the breathe for it. It's a process.

16. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of some amazing success stories from walking, but I just can't get into it. I find it boring. I do like Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs, though. Yes, she can be a bit much at times, but I just try to tune her out. I especially love the 3 mile walk with the hand weights. Really fun workout!

17. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Walking helps a lot. I will jog every other day in my neighborhood. But I walk a few miles almost everyday. It's easier too now that I have a son because I can push him in his stroller and he enjoys getting out of the house for a while. My husband goes too so we talk and don't get bored.

18. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think JUST walking will help you to lose weight, even if you extend your time frame over a period of weeks. Your body becomes accustomed to the slow increase and won't burn off more fat, it'll just adapt to it and keep hold of most of the weight. To burn sufficient amounts of fat, you need to get your heart pumping and maintain it for a certain amount of time. Fair enough, you might tone up a bit and lose a little weight, but not a lot.

The best time to burn pure fat stores from your body is first thing on a morning on an empty stomach. If you can't train on an empty stomach, drink a small coffee. The caffeine will help to give you a boost without compromising on your body's ability to burn fat. Adding a weighted backpack while you're walking up-hill will shift more fat than just walking and it won't take months to get your weight down.

Eat plenty of fruit, fresh vegetables and lean meat. Keep away from bland food like bread, cakes and biscuits as these are full of fat and sugar and will only hinder any progress from your training routine.

19. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is that lots of walking can help you lose weight. The myth is that if you walk an hour a day, you can lose thirty pounds a month. Walking is great for the heart, and can help speed up your metabolism, but a strict calorie-counting diet is the most effective way to lose weight fast, especially if it is combined with walking. Power walking is good because it exercises your heart without beating up your knees and feet, but some people do not have the health to power walk. It is best to do what your heart can handle and no more.

20. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I run about 2 and 1/2 miles every other day. Then I walk the same distance once I've finished my run. I am getting a little bit leaner, but overall I think I'm still around the same weight. My stomach is my biggest problem, and jogging and walking don't seem to be working for me. I have to incorporate sit-ups and push-ups on my off days to see results. I have always had a bit of a pudding-tummy. It's always required the most work. The amount of work I need to put toward it, to really get that 6-pack abs-look - I am not looking forward to that commitment.