Stationary Bike vs Jogging/Walking

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by dreyz • Aug 1, 2012.

1. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    There are many articles online through Google search that may provide the answer, but many, if not all of them, are research based. I want to hear from personal experiences.

What factors make you lean towards one and not the other? Which one truly burns more fats in your opinion?

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Friends of mine that use the stationery bike as a form of exercise, especially in the spinning classes, will all agree that it is the best form of exercise when it comes to burning fat and toning your legs. According to them it is also a type of exercise where you can begin to see results in one week. I believe them as they are all looking good. I am not really a big fan of cycling and would rather walk even if I can only see results over a longer period of time.

3. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I think the most optimal thing to do is to rotate between the different exercises. This way, you can introduce some muscle confusion and keep certain muscle groups from outpacing others. Also, rotating keeps your workout both challenging and fresh, so you are a little more motivated!

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to run. The main reason for this decision is that I can get in touch with the outdoors, and design my routine according to my own needs. Perhaps the stationery bike has its beneficial, because we do not have to move from our house, but I prefer to put in motion more dynamic. Anyway, a good combination of the two activities is a good choice, because we work different muscle groups and we are not accustomed to a single activity. The bike makes me a little more boring. But each person has different options to choose.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer jogging. I have only started back running again. I still do walk. Walking is great exercise, but I don't think it's enough for my body to lose weight because I have been doing it for so long. I believe my body is used the activity level. I have added jogging to shake up my exercise program. I have used stationary bikes in the past, but they are very boring. I do enjoy the rowing machines, but I can't seem to find a gym that uses them.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely jogging. Walking and cycling don't give me a high, as jogging does, especially if I engage in interval training. It has helped me burn the most fat. I do use the stationary bike occasionally, and I've found that it helps tighten my tummy muscles. But as an overall fat burner, definitely the treadmill for me.

7. slamoutte

slamoutteNew Member

Threads:
    I love to run for a few different reasons. One of those reasons being that I love to be outside and another is that I feel as if I get a more intense workout over a stationary bike. I personally don't think that I would be able to force myself to workout everyday if I was to use the stationary bike. The main thing when you are working out is to burn as many calories as you can, and if you aren't going to last long enough or workout as hard as you need to on a stationary bike then you should run and vice versa.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to be out side so I walk in the morning. I don't have a stationery bike, I do want an elliptical so that I can get a better workout. Walking is good, I have lost 15lbs, toned up my mid section and sleep better. Jogging is too hard on the knees for me to even think about.

9. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I would prefer jogging for the outdoors experience. But I guess a stationary bike would be a great workout tool too. My bike kinda broke down and I guess I didn't have enough time to get it fixed. And there really isn't much of a bicycle lane in our place. Besides, traffic is too heavy that's why I prefer jogging as cardio aside from the occasional swimming routine.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I prefer walking. Stationary bikes are kind of boring IMHO.

11. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I absolutely LOVE jogging outdoors, especially in a natural environment like next to the ocean, on a mountain pass-way or though a park. Sitting on a stationary bike just bores me to death. It feels like you are working but not moving, like a hamster on a wheel - not cool. Also, with that form of exercise you are not building bone density (which you do with walking and jogging). Those options are free too...the best things in life may just very well be free.

12. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Jogging may be good for losing pounds over time, but there are those who wind up with bone stress, leading to arthritis over time, from running on hard surfaces. Which is non-reversible. Walking is great to stimulate the body and circulation. Helps with heart strength, and increasing lung capacity. Using the stationery bike will aid circulation, increase heart performance over time, help you to lose weight, tone the body, and build muscle. All personal opinions.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Give me the great outdoors everytime. Apart from the fact that you're taking in lungfuls of fresh air as you exercise, there's always something going on around you, so you never get bored. That's likely to mean you'll exercise for longer. I can't jog, as I have joint problems, but I do walk and/or swim every day. I actually look forward to it - I can never imagine having that level of anticipation for an exercise bike.

14. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I feel both are good. Ultimately they are both exercising tools. Earlier there were no stationary bikes, so one had to choose walking or jogging outdoors. But with the passage of time , these bikes were made so that we do the same exercise within our four walls.

15. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    They both work you differently. The bike will work your butt and calves a lot more than running will but running helps get your entire body going and can build the core a bit more. You should really do both. The bike is easier and you can go longer and harder so what I normally do is: 30-45 minutes on the bike and then 20-30 minutes or so of jogging.

16. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I dislike cyclng or walking in one place, it kind of makes me dizzy. Get out into the fresh air and get some real exercise!

17. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Another reason that alternating is beneficial other than muscle confusion is the prevention of wear and tear on joints and injuries. Running on sidewalks and asphalt causes a lot of stress on your knees- taking the weight and stress off of them by using a stationary bike every once in a while is good health practice.

18. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter if you're jogging or using a stationary bike. High intesity cardio workouts first thing on a morning will burn more fat than anything else, period.

19. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I jog because riding a bike is actually rougher on my knees. Jogging is pretty hard on me too, but it's the lesser of two evils for me. I do believe that if you ride a bike outside you get a better work-out than on a stationary bike. Then again, if you spend an hour on a stationary bike or 15 minutes jogging, I guess it works out about the same as far as benefit.

20. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to use a stationary bike is using interval training. There are many videos and dvd workouts with intervals that can be used on a tablet or ipod. My favorite is by a company called Virtual Active. They have compiled exciting rides in the most beautiful places in this country and others. Interval walking is great also. It doesn't have to be one or the other, and adding variety will add effectiveness.