Does peppermint oil keep mice away?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chocbunny • Aug 10, 2012.

1. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I've heard that mice hate peppermint oil, so I've decided to liberally spray all my skirting boards with a mix of peppermint oil and water. Now the whole apartment smells like toothpaste:D

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using peppermint oil to repel mice, and if it worked? I've blocked up holes too, but thought I'd go for a double-pronged attack!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It seems to work well for us. I have a few cotton balls that I will put a few drops of peppermint oil on once a week to refresh the scent. I have a few out in the garage and a couple of them inside the doorways. We live next to several large fields that do have mice in them. So far we have never had any of them come into our house. Our neighbor across the street has them inside his house all the time. He hasn't used the peppermint oil...yet!

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I never heard of this method to get rids of such pests but I think this could work. This seems to be irritating even in humans what more for those pests. I would try to search for this on the internet and then get back here if this thing really works.

4. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    Hmmm I may have to try this. I had never heard of this before. Luckily we don't have a mouse problem in my new apartment but in my old one they were bad, it didn't help that I lived next door to a corn field.

5. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I have never tried this but I have heard of people who has and it works. I have heard good reports from it. Rats and mice have a good sense of smell. If they smell something they do not like they will stay away. Same goes if you have a cat around the house they will smell them and stay away. I also heard of dryer sheets suppose to be good at keeping the mice away. A lot of people have said this worked well for them as well. I have never tried either. Just thought I would pass you on the information.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It works! We stay near a field and field mice just used to run in...which freaked out some of the family members (self, included). That is when we discovered peppermint oil. Wow, it is phenomenal. We just put some on cotton balls and place them in corners. We have not seen a single mouse in ages. Ants are not fans of the aroma either.

7. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I think this could be true, because the smell of peppermint is so strong I think it may turn mice off. It's something that seems too strong to taste maybe? This is my first time hearing about this so I did a small search on it and turns out there are a few more cases of mice not liking the smell of peppermint and staying far away from any place the stuff lingers. Something that peppermint does for humans is open our nasal passage and helps us think better while relaxing.

8. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Peppermint oil is a good way to get rid of mice as well as bugs, ants and spiders. Instead of spraying the whole house with peppermint oil, use a cotton ball or swab to soak up a bit of peppermint oil. Place the cotton in the attic, in cabinets, etc. You can try mothballs but they won't be as effective.

9. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I never knew about it but thanks to this forum that I can use this oil for pest control. I would also like to know other alternate ways too.

10. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this, but I am extremely eager to know if it works! We have a huge problem with mice in the barn and we're using a lot of rat poison and I hate that! Not to mention once they die the whole place stinks. Then there's the times when I find them half dead and it breaks my heart and it just makes me sick! I would love it if this peppermint oil stuff works to keep them away then I don't have to poison them!! How do you make the stuff anyway? Can you buy it? If so, where??

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    The key is really re-applying every week. If you don't do that, it won't be effective.

But essential oils like peppermint are only part of the solution. You really do need to plug up all the holes, even holes in your foundation. You can also buy electronic mouse chasers. And of course, my cat helps to fight the battle. So maybe a 4 pronged approach is best?

12. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Great topic. I did some research and you can make a whole repellent garden.

. Rodents are the downside of gardening. But, this article is helpful and keeps you organic.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It probably does. The scent is so strong it repels ants and other small pests like fleas. I spray it in my house to keep the spiders away because I hate getting spider bites. I've been doing it for years and haven't had a problem with mice at all.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe it works too. A neighbor of ours a long time ago used to use it and she seemed happy with the results :)

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe this is one of those natural remedies that miraculously work.
    I also read somewhere that very light salt mixed with spices like pepper will keep these bugs away as well.
    They can't handle such strong smells since they irritate their systems.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I never heard of this I heard that peppermint helps keep flies off dogs but that's it

17. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    if it's really helpful in getting the mice out of the home arena then I'm too going to use it for a tidy home environment .. lets see how does it work to me .. hoping some good to come in my favor as well.. thanks to share

18. Nathan

NathanBanned

Threads:
    I never observed of this technique to get eliminates of such insects but I think this could perform this seems to be aggravating even in people what more for those insects i would try to look for for this online and then get returning here if this factor really performs.

#18Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  19. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this method before. I don't know of anyone who has tried it either but its great to know. I do know peppermint tea is great for heartburn or indigestion.

20. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this one. I may try it. I have tried using citronella oil to try to keep away spiders. I can't say that it works though. Maybe it does and my place would be completely overrun if I wasn't using it. I just wish it would keep them all away! Peppermint oil is a very strong scent so I may try it next.