Vinegar, the wonder disinfectant!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by savergrl • Aug 11, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I love vinegar! I use it for everything from sunburns to conditioning my hair to cleaning The House. It is so cost effective and best of all natural and non toxic!

Some of my favorite uses are strait in a spray bottle for pet stains.
    Mixed half and half with water as an all purpose kitchen cleaner. If you let it sit overnight you can wipe away hard burnt on oven messes
    Mix a 1/2 cup into the rinse cycle of the washer as a Fabric softener for towels. It will make them so fluffy and soft

Do you use vinegar too? What is your favorite use?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love it.

My top two favorite uses are:

1. Window cleaner! I hate cleaning windows and have tried all sorts of cleaners to avoid streaks, but vinegar alone is the best I've used.

2. Put it in the dish washer instead of Jet Dry for the same reason. So awesome.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love using vinegar as a household cleaner. I really like to use it to clean the bathroom. It works great on soap scum. I also like to use it as a carpet cleaner. It's great for remove stains and caked on dirt.

4. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use it for cleaning windows and as a stain remover and fabric softener for my baby's clothes. We also use it in disinfecting my baby's cloth diapers. It's cheap and free of harsh chemicals.

5. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I would really love to use vinegar around the house more often. It'd probably save me so much money, but I can't stand the smell of it. It's absolutely revolting for me. I'd be afraid of my laundry smelling bad after putting vinegar in, even if they become the softest things ever.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The smell is the downside of using vinegar. I usually open all the windows. The smell usually dissipates in less than an hour.

7. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener and it does not leave a smell residue after washing. Granted, you'll smell it putting it in the washer, but you should not smell it when you take the clothes out.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, you won't smell it at all coming out of the washer, but if you have an issue with the smell going in, add a capful of lavender oil to it. That way, not only will you mask the vinegar smell while you're washing, but your clothes will come out smelling like lavender.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I love to use vinegar for many things including cleaning and I also use it to condition my hair. Tho I have found that I need to add a little honey with the apple cider vinegar and water for my hair as it has been through a chemical mess over the years.

I also drink apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons) everyday for health. It is hard to drink down, but has a lot of benefits to it. I have never used it in the wash tho, I will have to try it! Even with your hair, you don't smell the vinegar once you rinse your hair.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My grandmother uses a little vinegar in her garden to keep pests away. There are so many great uses for vinegar. The antibacterial properties make it great for athletes foot and any other fungal type of ailments.

11. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    YES! I just soaked some soccer socks and shin guards that made me want to gag even out of the wash. 1/2 c vinegar and 1 gallon water, soak for an hour then wash as normal. NO SMELL!!!! Im so impressed. These went through the wash twice and still smelled awful until the vinegar.

12. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Vinegar rocks, except for its odour. I use it mainly as a remedy for common health and beauty issues like healing bruises and treating dandruff. There are loads of different uses that this very versatile and cheap product can be put to!

13. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I didnt know it was good for bruises. Learn something new everyday!

14. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought we could use it as kitchen cleaner. :D I just use it as an ingredient of the sauce for barbeque. I like the sweet and sour taste so I mix it with some ketchup and some other sauce.

15. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    My mom used to use vinegar for mosquito bites, to ease the itching. It truly works!

16. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    Check the cleaning aisle in Walmart...I buy Top Job with is pre-diluted vinegar, I think I pay about $1.19 for it. I use it for everything and you are right pet stains are so easily taken care of with it! I mop floors, clean lizard cages, clean chinchilla cages, and clean countertops with it

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had no idea it could be used as a conditioner for hair, that's a new one for me. I thought conditioners added oils to your hair to make it feel smoother or something. I thought vinegar cut through oils and grease. I heard cider vinegar is supposed to help you loose weight. I don't really mind the smell of it, but is definitely noticeable.

18. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I think that I heard it is good for reducing cholesterol, as well.I was drinking a little in a glass of water daily, to try to reduce weight. Hoping, hoping. "o)

19. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Does the vinegar really disinfect everything? I mean, a friend of mine swears by it and cleans her entire house with it, but it just doesn't feel as clean. Maybe it's because everything smells like vinegar and I'm used to things smelling "Clorox" clean. Is there a way to do something about the smell?

20. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:

Here is some info on it. Bleach fumes can be very harmful so that clorox smell you associate with clean is actually killing brain cells and damaging your respitory system. Have a read

I didnt choose these articles because they are medical journals but rather an easy read with good info. If you want scientific studies a quick google search of bleach, vinegar and .edu will bring those up but they are long and boring to read. The articles above cover the same info just in a lot less words.