Tips, tricks, or products to effectively remove the shedding hair from short hair dogs?

Discussion in Pets started by bridawn • Aug 28, 2012.

1. bridawn

bridawnNew Member

Threads:
    My dog has very short hair - probably about 1/4" or so - and she sheds like crazy. It's short so it's not a huge deal, until she decides to roll around on me and leaves me covered in pointy little hairs.

I've tried multiple brushes and finally splurged on one of those Furminator ones too. It works okay but never gets even close to all the loose hairs out. I've resorted now to using a lint roller on her!

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or products that will work to rid my dog of her loose hairs?

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have the same issue with my cat. However I also have the Furminator and a regular comb for her. I use both. If your pet is still shedding, it may be just due to the season. Have you tried getting your dog's hair cut by a groomer? You can get a cheap cut at Petco or something.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have a basset hound that sheds all year round and we use the Furminator on him at least once a week. It is hard to get to the undercoat but that is what you need to do. Brushing him down very thoroughly once a week really helps. You may also want to consider your dogs diet. Some dog foods can actually help reduce shedding. Look for one that promotes a healthy skin and coat.

4. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Here at my Aunts where I'm at currently, she has a Basset Hound as well and he sheds badly. I've never heard of the Furminator, but will look into it. Will definitely brush him more throughout the week and see if this helps as well. Thanks for the tips!

5. Strawberries

StrawberriesNew Member

Threads:
    The lint roller sounds like a great idea, or maybe even roll some duct tape around your hand to make your own "lint roller". It might help to ruffle his fur up before you start, to bring up any loose fur.

I have 2 dogs, one with really long fur and one with short fur. The one with short fur normally stays outside while the one with long fur stays inside and sleeps in my bed. During the summer he sheds like CRAZY! It literally gets everywhere. I bought a Furminator brush for about $17 on Amazon, and had to brush him for about an hour a day for the first 3 days, then once a week for a month or so after that before his shedding slowed down. Buying the Furminator was completely worth it! I've never had a dog brush that cut down on so much loose fur, and I have had him for 14 years now. The Furminator for longer fur worked well on my short haired dog too, so maybe you could try the brush for long haired dogs?

Here's another tip that you might find useful. When my dog would sleep on the bed with me, fur would get EVERYWHERE! I noticed that by washing the comforter, it wouldn't get any fur off, but the dryer's lint filter would be clogged with fur afterwards. So the next time it got a lot of fur on it, I only put it in the dryer, not the washer. There wasn't a single piece of fur on it when I took it out! This has saved me a TON of time and money, because if I have a blanket or shirt or anything that he decided to lay on I can just put it in the dryer for a little bit, no more waiting an hour for the washer, or spending a ton of money on lint rollers!

#5Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. bridawn

bridawnNew Member

Threads:
    Too bad there's not a contraption that we can use on our dogs that would work similar to putting something in the dryer! The one thing I'm thinking about purchasing now is the Schticky. I'm just not sure if I trust the product...

7. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I love the lint roller idea, it made me chuckle! What I do to remove pet hair from the rugs is use a rubber kitchen glove. It is great for removing pet hair, even from car seats. As for the dog actually shedding too much, well I would advise a lot of brushing. The fur factor is always there in my home as well.