Telecheck?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SEA81 • Sep 29, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    This isn't about a particular store, but more about stores that use Telecheck. I'm beginning to think the company is out to get people who do not use debit cards.

My mom went grocery shopping yesterday like she has every Friday for as long as I can remember and wrote a check from the same account she has had for as long as I can remember. They told her that Telecheck wouldn't accept the check. They told her that because her last few checks written at other stores that use Telecheck hadn't yet cleared (not bounced, just hadn't gone through yet), she couldn't write another until next week.

What the heck? Who are they to just decide when someone who has money in their account can write checks and when they can't? She was so embarrassed and had to leave all of her groceries.

They did, however, tell her if she had a debit card on that account (which she doesn't want; she hates using cards) she could use it.

That just seems kind of discriminatory to me. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this, but it seems that Telecheck has expanded their services. Years ago, they were only to report if someone has bounced a check. That's it. I don't understand how they can turn down her check if she hasn't bounced her checks. They have no way of knowing her bank balance.

I feel sorry for your mom. I can understand her embarrassment.

3. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    That's terrible. Not being able to pay for your goods/services always feels really horrible.

Maybe if this is how Telecheck is going, she needs to start using a card of some kind? Especially if she's writing so many checks in a matter of a few days and they don't have time to clear. Is there a kind of bank card she would be comfortable with? Maybe some kind of prepaid card? I would hate for this to become a permanent problem!

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is disappointing. I agree that it is very strange. Checks seem to clear much faster these days, than like 10 years ago. When I write checks, they seem to come out of my account the same day. ( Isn't technology grand?) I thought Telecheck was just for people that had bounced checks, I never heard of this one before. I imagine its harder for the older crowd to adapt, when they have been doing things certain ways for so long. Gosh leaving the groceries after all that sounds just brutal.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds terrible, I haven't heard of this before. Most of the checks I write clear within 2-3 business days. I thought Telecheck was used to verify people that bounced checks. My father uses checks all the time and he's never had this issue before.

6. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I actually had not heard of Telecheck before this post, but what you are explaining does come with some merit. Check fraud (although less uncommon now) still happens enough for it to be considered an issue. Although it sounds as though moneys can be verified with Telecheck it makes sense to me to not allow someone to write check after check after check without any of them clearing. Your mom is probably a perfectly good, reliable, and responsible person, but because we live in a world with people who are not, rules do need to be put into place. Unfortunately it works as a disadvantage for your mom.

On another note, is there a reason in which she does not like cards? Perhaps with further education she would see that they are just as safe and reliable as a paper check?

7. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I did some research, and it seems like this is a pretty common practice, but it just seems a bit harsh for my taste.

For those of you asking about cards - she just doesn't like cards. Not sure why. I think she's afraid of fraud and people stealing info.