It pays to call your internet provider!

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by jessamom • Oct 1, 2012.

1. jessamom

jessamomNew Member

Threads:
    Last year when my husband and I moved into our new home and subscribed for internet through the cable company, they gave us an introductory rate of $19.99 for one year. Well, the price just jumped to $45 last month, which is a big difference! Instead of just paying the bill and assuming our deal was finished, my husband called the company to see what they could do to keep us as a customer. Turns out that we could UPGRADE to a faster internet speed and pay $35 a month for the first year. Next year we'll probably switch back to the slower speed at a lower price, since we won't have the special deal anymore. But, it just goes to show it pays to call your provider! Has anyone else had success stories of contacting their provider and getting a better deal than the basic rate?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    It happened to me too. We call the telephone company that provides internet connection in out town and that I complain why is my internet connection too slow this time when I'm paying high rates than their current rates.. So I ask how I can avail the 7mbs connection when its just around $25 while back 2005 our rate and we still pay around $35?

So the lady suggest they can upgrade our account without automatically since we have been with them more than 5 years. Yes it pays. They should keep customers with them as their are tons of companies these days that offer same connection speed with lower rates.

3. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I called mine a few years back because it was getting too pricey and they gave me cable, internet, and phone for like $90 a month in order to keep us. It has been a few years and we finally left them for a few reasons finally but they will usually try to work something out.

4. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well it is true that some internet service providers do provide such perks for being their long-term customers. For me, I typically will call my ISP every two years once the contract is almost about to be over to renew the service. Most of the times when I make such calls, I usually get free speed upgrades (I signed up for a 2mbps plan years ago and now I have a 10mbps one!), a modem upgrade or sometimes even free cable television thrown in. These are perks which are not too bad in my opinion and they definitely make me want to stay on with their service, provided the quality remains the same throughout!

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, we have done the same thing!

We actually call quite regularly about our cable package. Every time we realize we're not using it as much as it's worth compared to what we're paying, we call to cancel the subscription. It never fails that they offer us a really good deal with extra packages that we'll end up using, and at a discounted price. It's always great to end up getting more and not having to pay any extra for it.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, every time my contract expires, I call the service provider and they are usually able to give me a better deal than what is available online through their website - either it is a longer term contract for the same price, or an upgrade in package.

7. jessamom

jessamomNew Member

Threads:
    Awesome, so glad to hear other people have had the same results with their providers! It amazes me how much money we can save if we just pick up the phone and contact the company, instead of just accepting whatever bill comes in the mail :)

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have called to drop a service to help reduce the bill and have been given a deal that gave more channels at a lower price. Most people would just drop the service instead of calling the provider to ask what can be done to reduce the bill.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    My Mom has done this with her provider. She has cable, Internet and phone bundled together and the company is good with making her deals so she stays with them. She has also been a customer there for almost 20 years now tho, so I am sure they don't want her to leave!

10. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    O yes I agree. It does pay to call. I have done this every year when my internet rates would go up at end of a contract. I would always get a cheaper price. But for the first few years of my adult life I didn't know this and wasted so much money.

11. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Never just accept the status quo. You would be amazed at what some companies will do to keep good customers. Most will lower your rate for a specific time, just as most of these people have experienced. And this isn't just for the cable bill. YOu can do this with your credit card company, your cable provider, your phone company and sometimes even your cell phone provider. If it's a service provider and you aren't happy with the monthly rate, give them a call and let them know.

12. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    We have done this same thing too. You're right, it does pay to call your internet provider. We typically call them once a year. We also call our cable company too. They are great at working with us to help us save money. Thanks for sharing your wonderful tip for those that haven't thought about this tip.

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I admit that I haven't called my company yet. I started out paying $19.99 for the first 6 months for a 6 meg DSL. Then it went up to $45. I noticed for the last 3 months, they have only charged me $25 a month. I figured a higher speed must be out and I am fine with this one, so I will just enjoy the $10 discount for now.