What is the highest electric bill you ever had?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by sdjaxson • Oct 5, 2012.

1. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    What is the highest electric bill you have ever had that you can remember?

2. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    My usual utility bill (electric/natural gas/water/sewer) usually averages around $300 but one winter the bill was $450! I about fell out! This was insane...of course it was one of the coldest winters on record AND my house needs to be reinsulated, but still. This was insane.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It gets very cold in the winter here and years ago we broke the $300 barrier in an old house that we used to live in. It was in January and we got hit with an Artic blast of below zero temperatures for over two weeks. I was actually surprised the bill was not higher than what it was. I am so glad that we no longer live there now.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    $300 is insane enough. Our regular bill only cost around $85 to $150. But of course we are from other country and we don't use much heater and the water here don't seem to be from narnia.

What makes your bill costs too high?

5. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    My newest bill is the highest I've ever received. It's $402!!!! I just don't understand why it's so darn high. I really can't wait to move. It's sad how high necessities are and you have to pay them or be in the dark.

6. Ace

AceNew Member

Threads:
    I usually have electrical bills around the $100-200 range but this past winter has been a huge hit to our neighborhoods power grid. Therefore, electricity has costed me a fortune this winter.

7. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I used to live in a big house with my parents and our utility bill was extremely high in the winter. I think the highest it ever was was $690ish, I'm really glad I wasn't paying the bills back then, still felt bad though. We were kinda wasteful with the heat and the drafts were horrible, we also tried to run the pool heater through the winter and that probably shot our bill up as well.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my bills as low as I possibly can and I also pay far in advance of the due date. I like to be about two months in advance of the due date. I can admit that doesn't help me comparatively measure the months. Though it does make me happy to not have a bill each month.

9. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    If you get on their payment plan, utility providers are able to make bills reasonable year round, and you avoid some of those weird spikes in payment that they never fully reimburse you for. I always set up the plan for both gas and electric when I move into a new space, to make sure that I'm more accurately paying only what's due. Some of those bills written about on this post would drive me into accidental homelessness, I'm sure!

10. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Somewhere in the $500 range I think.

Being in Florida our electric bill can get very high in the summer if we run the air conditioner a lot. Plus, our AC sometimes doesn't work good (usually the cause is it being low on freon) so then that wastes more energy because the AC is running more often but not cooling very much.

11. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    Since I've started living with my wife we receive electric bills that are around 40 $. I guess that is very low for you guys but it's very normal for the place I live :)

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My previous apartment was attached to a house and the landlord's wife liked to run the air conditioner constantly, which caused the overall bill for the house to be $350. As the tenant ,I had to pay part of that.
    My current electric bill at my new place is around $50.

13. theshaynee

theshayneeNew Member

Threads:
    At the house I lived in just before this one, the bill was around $500. We kept telling the landlord about it. The electric company was even puzzled. It was awful. We ended up having to leave the place altogether because of how poorly insulated it was and how crappy the electrical work was.

14. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    We strive to keep our power bill below $300 around $200 if at all possible! The last two months have been torture here with the extreme cold! Last month the bill was $651 and the month before it was $409!!! Needless to say we can not wait for summer!!!!!!!!

15. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    The highest electric bill I had was $250. I couldn't believe it! I even called the electric company to see if it was right. After that, I stopped leaving everything on all the time.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our highest electric bill was only around $60. We don't have much appliances here, so it's quite low as compared to the bill of the other members. And that's the highest we have, on other months our bill is lower.

17. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    $350 just for the electricity bill. I was in a vacation with my family for about 1 week or so and, well, I forgot to turn off the electricity along with the water. The computer continuously ran, the same went for the TV and other devices and gadgets. Eh, it could've been worse than $350, really.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe my highest electric bill ever was $250 or so, but we usually hovered around $100 to $125, even during the summer with heavy A/C usage. There were only two of us, though, so we weren't using a ton of electricity anyways. However, my parents house probably has electric bills around $300 to $400 on average each month, which is just insane, but there are more people living there.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My highest bill was $490. It was a total shock. I didn't believe it, as I wasn't even at home most of the time. So, I pursued the issue with the electricity company, and they told me some rubbish about me having signed up to support Green Power. I had never even heard of Green Power. Apparently, I had agreed to contribute a certain "average" percentage from my "average" electricity bill to sustainable energy resources. After a long two hours of clearing up these "misunderstandings" it turned out that my bill was actually only $350.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My highest electric bill has been $60. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my daughter and we don't use air conditioning, just a fan and lots of open windows, so my average electric bill is $48.