Walmart Layaway, should they bring back Year Round?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dorothymoreno • Oct 14, 2012.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I know I would love it if they would bring it back,it makes things a lot easier if you can but it on layaway. Even better if they had no fees or limited amounts like Kmart does. What do you THink?:D

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind layaway year-round. I think that would be a great thing. Times are really tough now and I think it would be an advantage for businesses to offer layway year-round. Everyone wins. The store gets the revenue and the customer gets what they want.

3. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I like layaway year-round. I almost always have a layaway running at Kmart. Although they charge a fee, they do allow clearance merchandise on layaway so I save a ton. I don't bother with Walmart because of the $15 per item minimum and that it is only three departments (electronics, toys and jewelry). I suppose if they had it year-round, I would be likely to use it for the electronics like a laptop or a new monitor but that would be it.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It would be nice for some people.

Unfortunately, there's a fair bit of overhead cost for it. Having some one at every store taking care of the layaways at all times is rather costly..... and while sure, it does encourage some purchases, it also cancels out a lot of them. A lot of people don't ever return to get the stuff and then what do they do with it? They have to put it back on the shelf and hope that the season hasn't already passed too much and that people want to buy it still, or they have to clearance it and take a profit loss, too.

5. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    Jessi does make a good point. While it'll be nice to have layaway all year round I can understand why the store wouldn't want to do that. I knew someone who worked at Wal-Mart when layaway was still around and they were always complaining about people cancelling their purchases and messing up the inventory. I'm just glad that Wal-Mart decided to at least bring it back for the holidays. I was able to toss a few electronics in it. It's a lot more convenient than purchasing everything at once (that would have broken the bank for sure).

6. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    What if there was an online method we could think of that would allow you to save for your item without bulking up on store inventory. For example my bank has a dream fund, so every so often I allot money to that fund. What if Amazon or Walmart allowed us to do something similar? Then it could be shipped to you once you achieve the goal? Do you think that's something the bigger box stores would consider? Like a rainy day wish fund?

#6Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    They absolutely should. Often, people will shop months before Christmas to get it over with and to make sure the items they want to buy are in stock. They should be able to put an item on lay away in May if they wanted to.

8. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I really like this idea and would love to see some stores pick it up. As for year round layway I would love to see that as well. We are a family on a pretty tight budget, much like the res tof the country right now, and I know it would be helpful to be able to layway clothes for my kids for each season as well as birthday gifts and similar items.

9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I think lay-away is great and it should definitely be brought back year-round. Things in Wal-Mart are already very reasonably priced but for those families that really want something nice like a new tv or perhaps a new kitchen appliance and can't pay it all at once it would be nice for them to have the option of making multiple smaller payments to achieve their goal instead of having to wait for the holiday.

10. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart spends more time and energy marketing their credit card than layaway. They make more money off of it in interest and they don't have to pay for any extra manpower to run anything year-round. Cashiers do the applications and everything else is through the website or a 1-800 number you can call. Layaway makes them less money and they know most people will only do one or the other, which is why they only do limited layaway once a year.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Despite the overhead, I would love if Walmart offered it all year round. I don't shop Walmart that much, but it would make me consider it for large purchases. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the convenience.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't see the point in layaway. Just save up the money yourself at home and then go to the store and buy things that you want when you have the money. If you miss a layaway payment then you lose the item and you lost your money. It only makes sense for Christmas shopping because the store keeps your gifts and you don't really have to hide them at home.

13. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    Personally not a big fan of layaway I just like to pay for things up front, I can see the appeal of it though.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The point for the rest of the year is that stock changes. You can put something that you love on layaway in the spring....and have it later in the summer. If you don't have the money right then, then you're not going to get the item at all because it'll be sold by the time you have the money.

For me personally, that's a *good* thing. If I can't afford it, I shouldn't have it. I understand why other people may want to be able to put something on layaway in advance for someone's birthday or holiday, etc, though.

15. assassinscreed3

assassinscreed3New Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone
    We’re still in the middle of one of the hottest summers on record, but in less than a month, you’ll be able to put holiday items on layaway at Walmart.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love if Walmart had year round layaway like Kmart it'd make my life a lot easier during holidays cause i'd be able to put things on layaway months before Christmas.