Best items to buy at a dollar store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dissn_it • Apr 9, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    From about.com, here is their list of the top 10 items to get at a dollar store.
    1) Cleaning Products
    2) Snacks
    3) Shampoos
    4) Bath Products
    5) Gift Wraps
    6) Scrapbooking Supplies
    7) Containers
    8) Kitchen Gadgets
    9) Children's Books
    10) school supplies
    Here's the link to read more about it:

We also use the dollar stores for inexpensive gifts for kids birthday parties and stocking stuffer items for Christmas. What items do you think are good buys to get at a dollar store?

2. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I get a lot of holiday type stuff at dollar stores. Plastic Easter eggs, Christmas decorations, party supplies, and so forth. I shop at Dollar Tree a lot for these things because they only cost me a dollar. This is way cheaper than shopping at Wal-Mart for it most of the time.

I do find that I'm not getting a good deal a lot of the time when I buy snacks from the dollar store. This is because the packages are usually slightly smaller than what you'll find at the grocery store. Not so much smaller that you'd notice it, but definitely smaller.

3. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I would have to agree, cleaning products and snacks are a great buy at the dollar store. Usually its not the same name brand but you get more servings in those snacks than the big brands offer!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cleaning products are great. LA Awesome laundry detergent is better than the leading brand names. Also, it's a great place to buy party favors. Last year, my sister-in-law planned a pool party for my niece. We bought all the party favors from the dollar store. We also created gift bags with pool toys and other misc toys all purchased from there.

5. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always get my cleaning supplies from the Dollar General, which is our version of the Dollar Store. I also buy my cat food and litter there because it's way cheaper than the grocery or pet store. They usually have a deal on Saturdays where you can get $5 off of any $20+ purchase, so I save my shopping until then. I also buy most of my OTC medication and toiletries there.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I like to get stocking stuffers from dollar stores. I too like to get gift wrap and sometimes dish soap. I try to use less chemical items for my cleaning needs, but dish soap is one the things I do like to clean with. Sometimes you can find really nice holiday decorations at the dollar stores too. I never know what cool items I will find cruising the isles of the dollar store :)

7. DrakenV

DrakenVMember

Threads:
    Agreed! I only ever buy my cleaning products and snacks from dollar stores. Why pay more for stuff that works just as good?

8. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I but cleaning products, that's about it. Everything else isn't things I use. Also, why call yourself a dollar store when things still cost $3,$4,$5 or more dollars?

9. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I agree that cleaning products should be number one. Their supplies are just as good as any of the expensive ones you buy at the retail store. I save around $25 when I stock up on cleaning supplies at the Dollar Store. We also use the Dollar Store to stock up on paper plates, cups, and plastic forks in the summer when we do a lot of cook outs.

I don't fully agree that their variety of children books would be in the top 10 for me now. When my children were first starting to read the books from Dollar Tree were good enough. Now that they are older, there is not much of a selection for them there. We get some puzzle books from there for the kids, but not reading books. I think that one depends more on the age of the child.

10. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    The list of items you provided is almost all things we buy at the dollar store. Through one of the dollar stores near us has a small food section as well. I usually grab cold medicines at the dollar store too. Some times their products are more effective than the name brand, and other times they are just as good.

Holiday items and other seasonal items are generally great finds there as well. Between my boyfriend and myself there are six children, so when Christmas time comes around we buy a bunch of the stocking stuffers for the children.

11. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I should add that I do like to buy toilet paper and paper towels at the dollar store. Granted there is not as much TP on the roll, but you can get a pack of 10 rolls for $1! You can't really beat that when you're broke :)

12. Crow

CrowNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I usually get the same things at my dollar store. They also have paperback books that are really cheap and not too bad, either.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best items to purchase at dollar stores are greeting cards, socks, hair accessories, writing utensils, snacks, cat food, candles and other small gifts.

14. Ella Bella

Ella BellaNew Member

Threads:
    Depending on the quality of the items, I snatch up a couple bubble mailers, bubble wrap, cat toys and self-seal envelopes if the store has it available. Dollar stores offer a great value especially when purchasing stationary products and power strips.

15. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I get cleaning products, too. Although not all of them are good. Some our very hard on fabrics and you should test them somewhere first if you are using other products. I have also bought shampoos, but not shower gels because I have allergies. If you have tested one, I d love to hear it though. You can also get all kinds of paper items

16. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I love to buy things from the dollar store. I love to buy ziploc baggies, containers, and snacks there. I also go there to buy gift wrapping supplies. I love that they have cute bags for only $1. It is much better than going to Kmart and buying a $4 bag that is just as cute! I also find that their holiday section is great, I buy lots of stocking stuffers for my son there.

17. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    I love dollar stores! I often buy handkerchiefs, wet wipes, sometimes nail polish, shot glasses, notebooks, socks, hair accessories, bras (to put when I am at home)... It's great and it's so cheap!

18. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I agree I only ever buy my cleaning products at the dollarstore. Another one to note would be brand named candy bars, they are at least $1.20 every where else, and they are 69c at the dollarstore. I only ever buy my cat toys at the dollarstore too.

19. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    I always stop at Dollar Tree prior to going into other stores for my household needs. I buy cleaning supplies, hair supplies, toothbrushes and toothpaste and almost any other thing I need. And when my son is good, I let him go in a pick out a prize. The dollar store has saved me money and made it a lot easier for my family to get the things we need when we are short on cash.

20. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    I rarely go to the dollar store but when I do I almost always go to buy

Chocolate
    Candy
    Drinks
    Cleaning items

There is a new dollar store opening across the street so I might start shopping there more often.