tv over the fireplace

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by marshelluise • Jan 31, 2013.

1. marshelluise

marshelluiseNew Member

Threads:
    My concern is that my TV is mounted on my fireplace about 3-4 feet above the opening, do you think it will get to hot?

2. catilla

catillaNew Member

Threads:
    All electronics must be away from heat, yes look for other place to move your stuff, otherwise it won't work properly soon, or it can be damaged soon, basically electronics shorten their live with heat, check for example the internal fan in the computers they need to be cold. :)

3. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    It's not just the heat that you need to worry about.

Obviously, we buy electronics with warranties and we expect them to at least live up to the warranty. Some warranties will discourage from placing TVs above or even near fireplaces. Soot and particles from the fireplace can and will float up inside the tv...just like dust, but the particulates are heavy and can cause malfunction. Coated with this grime, your TV may actually make enough heat on its own to short out or start a fire; you may not even need the added heat from the fireplace.

Secondly, you should take a look a the placement of the TV. Having it above the fireplace is not very ergonomically friendly. You'll be looking up, straining your neck and causing force in your mid-cervical spine. You may also get headaches from this posture, protruding you chin into an upward position for long periods of time is known to cause headahes.

Also, if you are running a LCD screen TV, putting the TV up higher than eye level may cause the picture to look differently in color than it is supposed to. They are designed with shuttere windows which open and close to let the light through and these windows have a very limited viewing angle. Plasmas may lose lighting due to filters. Anti-glare treatments are also only designed to work when viewing TVs from straight on.

While it is VERY popular...I'd suggest finding a different, more health friendly, place to put your television.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how high the screen actually is from the fireplace and what the fireplace is made of. If it's a new house, you might get it to work, but still, i think it's too dangerous to actually make it work for a long period of time.

You could always go crazy and put it in a diagonal position near the ceiling and wall, away from the fire source.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about doing this too, but over an electric fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe to mount the TV over an electric fireplace? I'm still wondering if the heat will be an issue and possibly damage it.

6. clayk7

clayk7Banned

Threads:
    I would say putting your tv above your TV is a very bad idea. Not very good for your TV considering the heat and other factors could over time break the device.

7. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    As someone who wears progressive lenses, I wouldn't be able to see the TV clearly without having my head tilted really far back if it was up that high. I also agree with the other posters that the heat (and smoke) wouldn't be very good for any electronic device.