What is the best brand washer?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dconklin • Apr 13, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Our washer stopped working properly and we are looking for a new one. The old one is quite old and has had a couple issues but now is definitely not in good shape now. It is not really worth fixing either as it is old and not at all efficient.

We have been searching online at all the various washers and wow there are a lot of different ones! We are having a hard time deciding what the right one will be. We don't need the most expensive fancy model, we are looking for an affordable but good model.

What brand do you have and has been a good and reliable washer?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We just recently had repair work done on our clothes dryer. The repair man was telling us to avoid the front loader washing machines if we ever decided to replace ours. He said the cost of repairing the front loaders can actually be more than the cost of the machine itself so you may want to avoid those. Ours is an old Kenmore and he said that the old Maytags and Kenmores are your best bet and usually can be repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new machine. You may want to see if some of the repair shops sell refurbished machines and if so, do they have a warranty on them. We have a shop that is a "ding and dent" shop. They sell brand new machines that are slightly damaged but still work fine. It is a good way to get a good machine for a lot less. Good luck!

3. dagz16

dagz16New Member

Threads:
    I like our front loading washer. It's a Maytag, and is super quiet, lots of features, and even tells us when it's time to clean the inside of the machine. The only thing I don't like about the front loader is that it doesn't fit as much clothes as a top loading one does. It's true that the front loader are expensive to fix, but they last so long, that when they do break, it's time for a new one anyway.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We ended up getting an Amana at a local appliance store - the store came highly recommended by my Uncle. He was a very cool store owner and we got a decent deal on it. It is a top loading washer and it is coming tomorrow so I can't wait! It is funny to be excited about a washer haha, but when you have been hand washing a couple items at a time and it started to pile up it will be a nice site to see! They are delivering and hooking it up for free so the fact that the washer was $459, it was well worth it :eek:

Thank you for your advice and I did decide not to go with the front load washer.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Congrats on the new washer! It is funny how you really take these appliances for granted. We had to go without a refrigerator for a few weeks...I sure never want to do THAT again. It does make you appreciate them more when you have to go without them for awhile.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It really is amazing! I don't know what I would do without a fridge for a few weeks. I managed well through the power outage after the hurricane last year, but I knew it was only due to power outage and that it would be back on soon (ended up being almost 3 days tho.)

I never thought I would be so excited about getting a new washer, but wow yes it was an exciting day!