How do you save money on fitness?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by MoniqueSeibel • Apr 14, 2013.

1. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever you do or wherever you workout, how do you remain within a budget? In other words, has does your budget affect your workout routine?

Although, I'm on a very limited and strict budget exercise is a must for me. I want to be very fit and in the best physical shape possible, but also it really helps keep my mood balanced and tremendously helps with my depression. Therefore, I do work it into my budget on some level. I primarily work out from home with my collection of workout dvds. I did buy p90x on Amazon last year because I thought the price of the original might come down with the release of p90x 2. It is expensive but it was worth the investment for me because it is a full fledged 3 month workout. It is also something I will continue to revisit and challenge myself further with with heavier weights or even just pushing myself to do more reps.

But also recently, I've taken 10 Zumba classes for just over $20 at a local studio. I found the deal on WagJag and it was like 80% cheaper than the normal rate. I've also really explored the library for some extra dvds as well. I currently have Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Overall, I've been really happy with the level of workouts I have been able to achieve for a reasonable amount of money. I'd be curious to hear what some of the rest of you are experiencing.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I take exercise for free - swimming and walking. I also have a set of hand weights at home, together with a jump rope and a hula hoop. With those items, I can have a pretty good workout to complement the walking and swimming.

I don't have actual workout DVDs, but I do have a couple of belly dancing DVDs. They're much more fun than working out, and they'd slot into your zumba classes as well. That was a great deal you snagged there. I must look to see if there's anything similar in my area.

3. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I am not the fitness queen by far, but I have wanted to change my habits in life to better myself, so I have been trying to find ways to workout. I have taken some time to walk, but I also have On Demand with Xfinity, that allows me to find workouts in the Sports and Fitness section. I have to say that has been my greatest gift from them. I can go in and choose what I am looking for or feeling for the day and it works for me. I also look at videos on Youtube too, but I look at videos that they use resistance bands that way I can work on some toning and firming too.

4. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a tight budget for workout, so i choose to download free yoga course and do it at home. Also i walk to work as long as whether permits. It helps me to avoid crowds and saves money. What's more, it's good for health.

5. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Books and dvds from the library. (they don't have P90X but they do have Horton's book). Some small amount spent on dumbbells and barbell and a weight bench that I have thought about replacing but have not done so. Overall given the fact that I have had much of the equipment for years, it is not a heck of a lot of money.
    Buying weights, real iron weights and dumbbells and bars last forever.
    I know some people opt for gym membership and fitness clubs. Some of them drop hundreds of dollars and then after a month or two drop the workouts.
    Another affordable is a used bicycle. Although the price of some of these can
    get pretty high, even used. Some other used bikes, not so elite i guess and not so high a price tag.
    Ryder13

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have saved money by buying cheap equipment and setting up my own gym in my garden shed. My gym cost me £150 to set up and my local gym charges £49,99 a month so it paid for itself after only three months. I have dumbell & barbell set (with about 100kg of weights), a treadmill and a bench.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also save money on fitness because I exercise for free the majority of the time. I am typically so one no just goes to the beach to swim or engages in sports. The only piece of equipment that I spent money on was the ab rocket and it has worked very well for me.
    I usually gain the most weight around my stomach area which is why I am very happy with this investment.

8. avihabibi

avihabibiMember

Threads:
    If you are serious and on a budget, I suggest you visit this link. It only costs $25 (ONE-TIME PAYMENT) and you will get a workout plan that combines quick fat loss and insane muscle building. There is also an added bonus which is about healthy eating system. For more info, click

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The way I see it, there's no need at all to set a budget to keep fit. You only need a budget if you want to show other people that you are keeping fit. If you are really interested in keeping fit, there are lots of things you can do without spending a cent. My favorite exercise machine is the stairs. Try running up and down the stairs at top speed. You would be surprised at how much of a workout you get. You don't even need running shoes for this. And the impact on the heels is minimal because most of the running is done on your toes.

10. sharjeel

sharjeelBanned

Threads:
    i also have a tight budget so do exercise on myself at home take tips from net and mentain ourself with good food

11. gamarklin

gamarklinNew Member

Threads:
    If there is a Club Fitness close to you join for $10 a month.You get access to trainers and endless equipment. It's the cheapest way I know.

George

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My biggest money saver was cancelling my gym membership and switching to a home gym with a few basic pieces of equipment. I am now making money on my investment and I will continue to make 'profit' from now.

13. harryca

harrycaNew Member

Threads:
    Well the easiest way to save money on fitness equipment is really simple and quite unorthodox. Don't buy any fitness equipment at all! For cardiovascular exercise you can go for a walk or go running. If you feel like you need all the newest gym equipment in order to stay fit and build some muscle your body can prove you wrong because that's all you need. Bodyweight exercises like push-ups pull-ups and squats are great and more than enough to add some muscle mass and stay fit for most beginners.
    If you are more advanced some equipment may be needed. The best way to go is to start small and keep it simple. A resistance band is a great investment to make in order to make the most out of your bodyweight exercises.
    If however you choose to buy more equipment and weight plates considered buying them used or over the internet. The difference of a used 10kg plate from ebay and a brand new one is absolutely none in its functionality.

14. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    I used to be enrolled in the gym, but just like you, I needed to save so I decided to quit. I quit on the gym, not on my exercise routine. So what I do now, in the morning before work and errands, I jog around the neighborhood. If it is just me, it takes me usually thirty minutes, but if I am with a neighbor who is a jogging buddy, it lasts to twenty minutes more. House chores can pretty much keep me in shape also. Like the buffing of the floor using not the electric buffer but the legs and a rag makes the legs and butt in shape. Doing the grocery is another thing. Imagine the weight I have to carry from the grocery up to the house. But then, I also have my trusted threadmill which I purchased years ago and still in very good condition, my set of weights which are also in good shape, and some cardio-dance dvd. There is no reason to stop fitness just because we are on a tight budget, right? All it takes is dedication, and with that, every activity we have can be turned into a fitness regimen that we can do on a daily basis.

15. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    With the advent of the internet your possibilities are endless. For personalized advice for free you can go to the sparkpeople website. You can also find lots of cardio video workouts online for free from zumba to yoga and pilates. There are also android apps for free. Aside from that I also take advantage of free gym equipment courtesy of the free gym at my mom in laws condo building. She listed me as one of her unit's occupants so I can workout for free.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't spend much on fitness and dieting. I just cut down on my normal portions, do push ups or go for runs or swims. Not that I don't value lifting weights or going to the gym, but this just works for me. Especially since I don't have to drive to the gym anymore and thus eliminates the laziness, not to mention it saves me from spending on gas as well.

17. Been Klivage

Been KlivageNew Member

Threads:
    I get up early in the morning and go for the exercise while running on the way in a park. There is fitness equipment in the park and also a guider that helps us all to make up muscles and build the body abs. So, this way I can save the money because it is totally free.

18. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    all the exercise i perform at home are free and i ignore working at those expensive gym, i also avoid the expensive supplements and go for the healthy foods.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do I save money on fitness? It's quite simple really. I just exercise at home and jog on the street, since it does the job just the same. Although for more sculpted results, then going to the gym is necessary.

20. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I cannot afford going to a gym right now, especially with a baby on the way, so I just save money by working out at home. However, what I work out on did cost me a lot of money awhile back! My mom bought my treadmill for me while I was still young in order to help me make some healthy lifestyle changes. I use it more now than I did back then! Luckily, it's still running smoothly, so I don't have to worry about spending money on the gym to use the treadmill. Plus, on CL and other classified sites, you can find a lot of people who want to get rid of treadmills for free, which is also another great way to save money!