Ever shop at Family Dollar?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dconklin • Apr 16, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if they are available outside of the US or even throughout the whole US, but Family Dollar is one of my favorite stores now. They are not one of those "everything is a dollar" store, but they are a reasonable priced store. They have a little bit of everything except for meats and produce. They do not have a huge selection of groceries, but quite often if I need one or two items I can find it there.

They have some groceries (wouldn't be able to go food shopping there but you can find various items you may need) and they have a selection of other items. I have bought toilet paper, socks and underwear, hair stuff, advil, shower curtains and more there. They also usually have a nice selection of holiday items around the holidays.

For me it is quite convenient as I can walk to one even tho it is a mile away, I like to walk so I can walk and get a few items. Everybody that works there is really nice. I thought that it was just that location but upon taking a quiz I learned that they really work to ensure all their employees are friendly.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have the Family Dollar out here in Alabama where I live, and I do like to shop there, and they have a good selection, and good prices. We also have a store called Freds Dollar Store out here, and I think they have a little better selection, and their prices are great, too. The one closest to us is going to change over and become a Fred's Fqrm Store, and I am looking forward to that, as they will be carrying all the gardening supplies.
    The Dollar Stores are like mini Walmarts, and I really prefer shopping at the Dollar Store than having to find a parking spot and fight my way through the crowd that always seems to be at Walmart. The selection is not as large, but for most everyday items, you can find everything you need, and save money doing it.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I first heard of Family Dollar when I visited my mother in Alabama. I like Family Dollar more than the 99 Cent Only Stores or the Dollar Tree. Unfortunately, there are no Family Dollar stores in California. They do carry some quality stuff.

4. Doccarroll

DoccarrollNew Member

Threads:
    The Family Dollar in my area does provide some good bargains. I should and need to shop there more. It is funny because most of the stores I had encountered had been in lower economic areas. I use to think this was a store where welfare mom's were able to get the supplies needed for their children. Then just a few months ago a Family Dollar opened in a relatively high enconomic area. As a matter of fact it was build across the street from a Neighborhood Walmart! Either it was never there intention of being exclusive to depressed areas and its has taken them a while to expand their stores into higher economic areas or hard economic times are all over. I think the later rules.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes they are much better then the usual 99 cent stores. Maybe they will expand out that way too, I believe they started in the south and I know they are in Pennsylvania and possibly New Jersey too now. There are times you can find some great deals. I like the fact that I can walk to one, it is a little over a mile away. I walk everyday and to me it is a great walk and if I am only getting a couple items I have no problem carrying them back. Of course I don't get too heavy of items when I walk tho!

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE Family Dollar. I go there at least twice a week because there is one really close to me. They are cheaper than the grocery store on milk and a few other things. I also like some of their pictures, candles and other decorations, and I bought a whole crapload of Fat Chef stuff for my kitchen from there. I even like some of their tops! I'm definitely a fan. Plus, another good thing is that they are never as busy as the grocery store, the lines are always short (near me, anyway), AND they let you stack store and manufacturer's coupons! ;)

7. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I'm in NY and we have Family Dollar stores. I like that I can pick up inexpensive clothing for the kids and a few household items, however I like $5-deals much better. They dont really have clothing but they have off brand canned foods for $1 or less. They have a freezer section and they sell white castle burgers and other brand named foods for less. You can even get a bag of uncooked chicken wings for $4. They have become my favorite store. Don't let the $5 name fool you. If you have one near you give it a try. You can even purchase in bulk online. Just Google $5deals. I'm not sure where else they have stores.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to shop at dollar stores because for things like zip lock bags or just some kind of foil I like to buy it very cheaply since I use a lot. I don't feel like paying close to 10 dollars for something I am going to throw away after a one time use. Therefore I am very lucky to have so many dollar stores around me here in the city.
    I probably wouldn't be able to save the amount of money that I do if it wasn't for them.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love dolar stores for some things....craft supplies, some cleaning things, and random things, but there are some things I just wouldn't get there.

10. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I really like Family Dollar for certain things, but you have to be careful because some things are definitely overpriced. Watch the net weight of items, the number of items in a package, etc. They'll get you on the details if you don't watch it.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love family dollar I don't go much due to not having one close to me but anytime I'm near family dollar I like to stop they have tons of great things for good prices family dollar is def a great store

12. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of $5 Deals, but it sounds like a great store.

Everything isn't always a good deal at Family Dollar or other dollar stores, but I have found that the majority of things that I buy are. The things that do cost more are sometimes only like .02 more than at Walmart (ie $1 instead of $.98), and believe me, I will pay an extra .02 for everything in my cart if I can avoid that store. You can usually look at things to see if they are cheap quality or not. You do have to watch the sizes sometimes, but I see that to be more of an issue at Dollar Tree than Family Dollar or Dollar General -- although not always.

13. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    We have the Family Dollar stores in CT. Whenever I need to re-up on laundry detergent or other household needs and don't feel like going to a large supermarket or a store like Walmart then Ill stop at a Family Dollar. It's almost always an in and out type of trip depending on the neighborhood. They carry mainstream brand products from household items to bath, body and hair products. So they are a step up from the dollar store in that sense. My current journal is from a Family Dollar. I think it was $3. I usually spend $10 or more on journals anywhere else.

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is if you had asked me this question last year at this time I might of told you that I have been to Family Dollar a few times. Not that I didn't like the merchandise but because the closest one to me was about three miles away. But at the beginning of this year, a new Family Dollar was opened about a mile from my home. I have now gone into this new Family Dollar several times and will no doubt continue to do so. Yes, it not your conventional dollar store, because not everything is a dollar. But you can still get great bargains in there. For example my sister was looking for shoe insoles that would be beneficial to her feet. In a regular drug store the lowest these ran were about nine dollars in Family dollar she found the same ones for six dollars. So, there was definitely a savings there on this product alone, and I have seen other great values there as well.

15. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I don't mind shopping at the Family Dollar, but it's not my favorite. Some of their prices are really reasonable, but then some are just as high as other retail stores. I tend to shop at Family Dollar for seasonal items and decorations. I picked up some great candy for a low price around Halloween. My landlord picked up cleaning supplies from the Family Dollar. I use them in the apartment and they're not bad, but again, the price was not anything great. Honestly, I think most people in my town shop at the Family Dollar because it's closer than a Wal-Mart.

16. InsomniacGirl

InsomniacGirlNew Member

Threads:
    I've completely forgotten about Family Dollar, and we do have many of them located in my area! Quite a few years ago I enjoyed stopping in there for things when I didn't feel like running into Walmart, but it's been quite awhile since I've patronized Family Dollar. I might as well go check my local store out and see what's new. :)

17. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I thought, I was like the only one who really loves Family Dollar! I think it is just a calming feeling to me as well, to go in there. I agree, in most locations here in AL people are very friendly. I can go in Family Dollar just to walk and browse or whenever I need something. I must say they always have something great in the Weekly Sales Paper! My husband has caught on now, that I say I am going to Family Dollar, he doesn't ask what I am getting, because he knows and understands, I don't have to purchase anything from them when I go there. I just love checking them out. I agree they have some great products. HappyFlowerlady, I love some Fred's too, but the close the one down the street from me, now I have to go way out in the Country to get to a Fred's.

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Ours does not have a lot of clothes, tho I see in their flyers that they are sold at Family Dollar stores. We have socks, underwear and bras for the clothes. Ours is probably smaller then most tho given it's location and the building is not huge. It is definitely convenient tho! I like their tablecloths for the holidays. You can get nice ones (not cloth they are I guess vinyl or plastic but thick) for $3.50. Granted they only last us for a couple months, but that is because my kids can be a bit rough on them.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I go there quite regularly, along with those "everything is a dollar" type stores. I mainly get cleaning supplies, and kitchen supplies there. There's another store in my area similar to Family Dollar called Deals that also has a freezer section with dairy, lunch meats, and frozen foods as well. Most of the stuff is only $1 as well. I'll get things like bags of fries or onion rings or bread sticks for $1 a piece that would normally cost me $3 a piece in other stores. Can't beat that. They also have great prices on plates and glasses, that comes in handy for entertaining.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing that I noticed stands out about my local Family Dollar is their wall art, like their stretched canvas prints, picture frames, mirrors and little Asian decorative plaques. If you need something cute and decorative to hang on your wall, Family Dollar has some surprisingly nice home decor items. You wouldn't know it from the strip mall that my local Family Dollar is located in, but if you have a good eye, you can find some really cute candleholders and home goods there.