Do Dollar Stores Have to Honor Dollar Off Coupons?

Discussion in Coupons started by RomanAnthonysMama • Aug 31, 2013.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    We took my father-in-law to the doctor's recently, and they had coupons to get a dollar off Colgate toothpaste. I know that they carry that same brand and specific tube of toothpaste at our local dollar store, but I was wondering if we'd even be able to use the coupon since it would be free? Do most coupons exclude being used at dollar stores, or does it depend on the policy of the store themselves? I'd totally feel like an extreme couponer if I could get some free toothpaste! LOL

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most dollar stores don't accept coupons but Dollar Tree does, and Dollar Tree carries Colgate, so you can totally go to Dollar Tree and get some free toothpaste.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried using coupons at a dollar store before. I have gotten free toothpaste though by buying on sale and using coupons. In fact, I used to make out like a bandit back when grocery stores doubled coupons taking $20 or more off my bill.

4. angie828

angie828New Member

Threads:
    It depends on if they accept coupons or not. But with coupons, are the stores reimbursed that money? If they are then it should not really matter because they are getting the amount anyway. And a lot of the dollar stores in my area do not have the more expensive products, that would have the $1 off coupons product. So I have never used them.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Know that i think about it, how do coupons even work? They call the companies and tell them they have a bunch of coupons and they trade them for money? Still it would be funny to go with a bunch of dollars off coupon and still get money from the trade.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not speculating. I'm telling you for a fact that Dollar Tree definitely accepts manufacturer's coupons and they have Colgate toothpaste, Softsoap and Renuzit air fresheners, so take your coupons there and get the free items.

I would know, I have used a 75 cents off coupon on Softsoap at Dollar Tree and gotten the liquid soap for 25 cents.
    Go to Dollar Tree with your Colgate coupons.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why I never think to take coupons with me to Dollar Tree now that I know they accept them. If Big Lots took coupons that would make shopping at the regular grocery almost unnecessary except for fresh food items you couldn't get anywhere else. I buy large refills of liquid soap and refill my pump dispenser, but at 75 cents, it almost isn't necessary.

8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    This is great information ASCAPA. Thank you so much for sharing this. I didn't even know that Dollar Tree had a website. We had a dollar store in Jamaica a while back but that closed down sometime ago, and you can use manufacturer's coupon's too! Thanks a lot for this :)

You can not only use $1.00 off coupons at Dollar Tree, but you can also use them at Dollar General. I found this out at the krazycouponlady blog. On this blog, it also shows you the free stuff that you can get by using the $1 off coupon at Dollar Tree, like Bic razors and the Smucker's Topping. Here's the link to the blog:

9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    You can use coupons at the dollar tree, even if the item is a dollar off. But, be careful.. Look at the ounces on the product and compare it to the coupon. Also make sure that the count is the same for example you may have a dollar off of dial soap sold in packs of three and the dollar tree has them sold in packs of two. You have to really pay attention with that.:)

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is an awesome site, thanks for posting it. It's so much easier to look up what the free items are, rather than bring the entire box of coupons with me and hope that I stumble on to a deal.

11. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    The Krazy Coupon Lady is an awesome site, because they tell you were to find all the free items if you check the "extreme couponing section". I was really proud of my free Bic pens :p . They even give you the link to download the freebie coupon if you didn't buy a newspaper :cool: So far they are the best couponing source in my humble opinion.

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores, like any store can determine if they do or don't accept coupons. I do think like some have said that Dollar Tree does accept some coupons. Not sure if they accept all of them or not.

13. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    I tried to use a coupon for, I think, the very same product. I don't think they would let me use my coupon. They have an aversion to giving their stuff away, I guess.
    Actually I think Aldi's refused my coupon but Dollar Tree took it! Yes, I'm sure that's what happened. Try it, what do you have to lose?

I agree. Ultimately, they decide what they will or will not accept. They don't have to take anything!

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure they do it by mailing them in. I'm also sure that companies who accept a lot of coupons have to hire entire departments for handling just this part of the business. The company sends in all the coupons at the end of the month, then the manufacturer gives them a rebate.

So yes, accepting coupons is always beneficial to individual stores as far as getting the money back goes. The price comes in the work load it takes to get reimbursed. You'd have to weigh the reimbursement (and added sales as a result of accepting coupons) against the salary of the employee in charge of coupons.

Make sense?

Aldi and Big Lots do not accept coupons because all of their name brand items are results of "buy outs" of old stock from other stores. They already get the items at such a discount that whatever price they sell it to us is the profit. They don't have a need to introduce the hassle of manufacturer coupons because, again, it wouldn't be cost effective.

15. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yes Dollar Tree accepts dollar off coupons as well as others. They are great. I have gone in before and got several things free, all I had to pay was tax. You can not beat that! I have shared at my blog before how I have gotten things cheap or free at Dollar Tree with coupons. Have fun!

16. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    In EVERY store, the cashier counts the coupons just the same as money. True; there's usually a 'UPC' (the little block of black bars & white space), and if that doesn't register on the computer then you don't get the dollar-discount. But there's no reason it shouldn't work.

It's a process much bigger than 'your interaction with the cashier.'

describes PARTS of the process---the cashier, counting it as cash at the end of the day; the store, sending the coupons to headquarters; headquarters, sending the coupons to a clearing-house to get `em counted; the clearing-house, sending the headquarters an invoice; so that headquarters can pay the clearing-house & then pay the store.

But HowStuffWorks doesn't seem to mention how this balances-out for the manufacturers (when they buy the coupon-space in the papers, etc.)

17. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Most Dollar general stores print their own coupons, and will not accept manufacturers coupons, on DG specific coupons. Dollar Tree, however, accepts manufacturers coupons... so you could definitely get a tube of free toothpaste there!

Also, a store never "has" to accept a coupon. Even if the chain usually accepts them, it is always up to the discretion of management if they will or not. The best policy is always just to ask! Most managers will politely tell you their policy, and remember that the worst that an happen is they say "no."

18. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I worked in a grocery store for a few years and it is actually really simple.

Each coupon that the store accepts is separated into two different piles: Manufacturer Coupons and Store Coupons. The manufacture coupons are the ones that are cut out from the weekly papers, magazines, printed from the internet, etc. They say "manufacturer's coupon" on the top - usually by the expiration date. These are sent into a company that separates them into another set of piles. The coupons are then sent to specific addresses and then that company reimburses the store for the coupons.

Coupons are treated the same as money. They are kept in the cash drawers and are counted at the end of every shift just like a cash till is.

The companies send out coupons for people to buy items, stores make money from the sales (even if you get an item for free after coupons), and the company that sent out the coupons also makes money in the long run.