A Million Procactiv Products

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Mackmax • Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    Has anyone noticed that Proactiv seems to come up with a new product every two weeks? I watch a lot of MTV, so they show acne commercials non-stop since their demographic is teens and young adults. It just seems that Proactiv is constantly coming up with a new "revolution in skin care technology". I've used a Proactiv product once, and it worked well at first, but my skin soon got used to it, so it was no longer effective. Most people either love their products or hate them, but never in between.
    Also, what tv acne product(Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Clinique, etc) has worked best for you? I plan on seeing a dermatologist soon because even though my skin isn't bad at all, I want it to be completely clear and flawless.

2. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like Practiv because I think it is all a lot of hype and clever marketing.

For acne, there are really only two active ingredients that are effective: benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. All acne products will have one of those two ingredients. They are the only ingredient that is doing anything. So if you can get that same concentration of ingredient in a cheap walmart brand, it is doing absolutely the same thing as an expensive brand.

3. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love Proactiv. I have used it for about 15 years. The times I have cancelled my service and stopped using their products thinking it's too expensive and I could find something just as good, my skin always breaks out very badly and nothing from the store or homemade options will do the trick. I always end up signing up for them again. If you don't have really bad acne, maybe the store brands are just as effective, but for me, I haven't found anything from the store or Avon even that works just as good.

As far as all of their extra products, I can't say too much about those, since I really only use the standard 3 piece kit, but I am happy with those 3 for sure.

4. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I remember always seeing Proactiv commercials when I would watch TV frequently. A friend of mine had the whole set (which I'm sure they've added to) and he said it made him break out even more than he usually would at times. I really do think that it's a lot of hype. I don't think that it's a bad product, just not as great as they make it seem.

5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I swear, every couple of weeks there's a whole new type of product or new price or new promotion that they are doing in their commercials for Proactive! I tried it years ago with my brother for our acne because my mom purchased it for us and insisted on us trying it, but if you miss even one treatment of it your entire face completely breaks out! Totally not worth all of the money for the product.

6. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    It does seem like they're always coming up with new commercials. I'm personally not a fan of the product. Last time I used it my face swelled into an itchy, red tomato. With that being said, maybe that's why they're always coming up with some "new revolution in skin care technology." :p

Whenever I have a single, bad pimple I use apple cider vinegar. It's been more effective than anything else I've used before.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, when you have been around as long as Proactiv has and have been as successful as they have I guess you can come up with different products. I have never actually tried to product line myself. I have heard good things about it and bad things. I guess it again comes down to the fact that no two people are exactly alike and what may work for someone may not work for someone else.

8. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    I agree with those of you who said it isn't worth the money. The Proactiv set I had was $90 with a coupon, and it was only effective for 3 months or so, and even then it didn't completely get rid of my acne. I definitely think that its best to see a dermatologist, that way you can get a product that you know is good for your skin. I've wasted so much money trying to guess and check which over-the-counter acne products worked for me. Out of all the products I've used, only 2 of them actually worked!

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was pretty shocked at all the complaints over Proactiv, and how shady they are as a company. The web site Jezebel had a rather long running thread of comments on it essentially trashing the company and their business practices. At one point, some former employees from their sales call centers even chimed in and explained that they were trained to purposefully not allow customers to cancel their recurring charges and shipments, and that it was nearly impossible for a customer to do so.

P. Diddy and other celebs who formerly endorsed it have also filed suit against the company when the products themselves ultimately didn't work on them as advertised - making them look foolish in the process for endorsing it in the first place.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm one of the few people that doesn't care for Proactiv. I used to suffer with nasty acne, and it's one of the products I tried. I think you can guess how the story goes...of course I tried it, and it was an epic fail LOL When you are in that desperate place, and you've heard all these fantastic claims, it's a huge let down if the product doesn't work even just a little!!