Do You Spend A Lot On Shampoos?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hayrake • Jan 19, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I just buy the affordable ones as well, I don't like buying expensive beauty or bath products since I can save some money to be bought on other things, so for sure I won't buy the expensive brands.

2. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I do spend a lot on shampoos, not so much for on myself but for my kids, when you have a house full of kids that's a lot of hair washing, they're really fussy so I need to get the quality ones and that means I spend a lot of money on shampoos and hair conditioner.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just buy the cheap shampoo, as long as it gets my hair clean, I'm happy. I will fork out for decent conditioner though, this stays on your hair long enough to actually make a difference, whereas you just rinse the shampoo strainght off.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An expert appeared on Oprah once and revealed that expensive shampoos have the same detergents in them as cheap shampoos. So expensive shampoo is kind of a scam. But conditioners vary widely in quality, so conditioner is where you should be spending the money because shampoo is all just fancy soap.

5. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    As a male, I don't use shampoos much at all. A good while back I would switch up different types of shampoos every once in a while, but nowadays they all seem the same to me. I'll just buy a huge one from Costco and it'll last me nearly a year!

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since one small bottle of a domestically manufactured shampoo brand is considerably affordable, buying two to three bottles of shampoo for a household composed of five people will cost around $5. So our shampoo purchases on a monthly basis usually does not exceed the aforementioned sum.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, no. My shampoo (and conditioner) is 5.99 for 32 ounces, and one bottle lasts several months, so it's a pretty good deal! It's the in house brand (365) at Whole Foods, so that's why it's cheaper then other all natural shampoo/conditioner. :D

My Dad buys pricey shampoo (8 dollars for a bottle and it only lasts about 2 months!) and so does his girlfriend. I don't really understand the point of buying expensive shampoo, unless you have a sensitive scalp or dyed hair or something like that. o_O

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't because I already know my favorite brand and it's a cheap one. Also I only wash my hair every other day and I always try and be careful with not using too much since I know it would be wasteful and it might turn out to be bad for my hair anyway. It takes me a long time to go through one bottle because to help save I also tend to buy larger bottles instead.

9. yamazakura

yamazakuraNew Member

Threads:
    I don't because I found a cheaper one that works well. The Juice Organics PomSmooth shampoo makes my curly hair look great and I found it for 6.99 at Marshall's. It works much better than the expensive Oribe one I was using before.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have used cheap shampoos in the past and found terrible results. I prefer to use high end ones less frequently. It's not essential to wash hair so often anyway, so you don't need much at all. a bottle can last up to a year if used sparingly enough.

11. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I use Wen so the price per bottle is pretty high in comparison to a lot of shampoos. I'm the only one in my household who uses it. I have long hair but I only wash it twice a week. I give my daughter the same shampoo budget I have. She chooses cheaper shampoo and also needs to buy a separate (cheap) conditioner. She also uses more per wash and washes daily (sometimes twice a day, every time she showers). If I bought the cheaper shampoo & conditioner for me, I would have to do the same thing. Despite the higher cost per bottle, we're spending the same amount so there wouldn't really be a benefit in me switching to the cheap stuff except that we could share shampoo and I kinda like having it separate.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. While I don't buy the cheapest shampoos, I definitely don't go for the best quality, because honestly, I don't need the most amazing looking hair. I'm pretty happy with what I have. The only reason I would start paying more would be if there was a shampoo tha would actually help slow down hair loss, but I doubt I'd get that without prescription.

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Not really, but I'm a little bit vain when it comes to my hair. I often use a regular shampoo and a conditioner. There should always be a conditioner. I don't go for expensive brands though.

14. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy expensive shampoo (from John Frieda) along with conditioner, but now I don't buy conditioner anymore, and I actually don't wash my hair too often (and no, it's not even sticky or smelly or even greasy, it's fine). So nah. I don't spend much on it.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Bottles of shampoo tend to last me a year or more since I chopped most of my hair off, and I don’t use conditioner anymore, so I don’t spend much. I was never one to splash out on super expensive shampoos even when my hair was longer. I tried a few at friends’ houses and such, and I never really noticed a difference. Suave does the job just fine, and even their higher-end labels are still reasonably priced. I do like to have two different brands of shampoo, since switching it up once in a while is supposed to be good for preventing build-up. So occasionally I’ll go for a slightly higher-priced shampoo for my secondary bottle. Nothing above $10, though.

Admittedly I end up spending more on styling products, but I try to limit myself to one product at a time, plus they tend to last a year and a half to two years.

16. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a huge difference between $1.00 shampoo/conditioner options and $5.00 options. The effect is even more pronounced with $40.00 options, but that's too much for the average person to spend. You wind up spending more on budget shampoos and conditioners because you need more to create the same lathering amount as $5.00 shampoos and conditioners. You could go through an entire budget bottle in a week if you're not careful, and a $5.00 bottle lasts me about a month.