Online groceries?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Dec 30, 2014.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    The fact that Amazon hasn't really tried to get into this sector is probably a good indication of the fact that most people agree with you. I'm not sure that will ever change. People like to browse through the aisles and pick whatever they want to purchase.

2. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    I've ordered a few things, but even Amazon charges way more than just going to the local grocery store when things are on sale. I've used it for things like spices when I can't find some at the store, but that's about it.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever bought groceries online. I have quite a few supermarkets from a walking distance to my home and also from my way from work to home, that I walk, so it really makes no sense to buy the groceries online for me.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought groceries online when there has been a promotional offer but on the whole, I'm not too keen. Like many other posters, I prefer to see what I am buying and make sure I get the longest "use-by" dates possible. Produce delivered to your door often needs to be used within 3 days and isn't always at it's best.

Deliveries are great for when you need a lot of heavy items though, especially if you don't have a car.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I've thought about buying groceries on-line but then I always end up going to the grocery store. I like the idea of being able to check my items out thoroughly before I pay my money for them. As the saying goes, 'if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself'.
    In this particular case, others might do it "right" but they won't have the same exact standards that you have. Even if a friend of mine is going to the grocery store, and I ask them to pick up something for me, they sometimes will bring me back the wrong thing.
    I'd rather do my own shopping to make sure that I get exactly the quality of item that I want.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    My local grocery stores that offer this service have all their normal store offerings available. They basically send an employee through the store to "shop" for you, so they can get anything that's currently stocked in the store.

I don't know about your specific store or if the large store is pulling from a warehouse instead, etc, but it's worth checking into. It sure beats having to go yourself!

Just don't forget to tip your delivery guys...especially if you order a lot of heavy bulk items or you live on an upper floor, etc.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking about buying groceries online these past two years, but haven't taking the plunge yet. I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, so I am sure in this department. Non-perishable food won't be a problem though, so I will have to take a look. I like Amazon, and I think there prices are pretty decent.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

? ... actually, no. I buy fresh-fruit (for "an apple a day" ... and a banana-a-night), and they don't offer that online; so it's more convenient for everybody if I pick up the other stuff while I'm getting those.

But I'm sure that--if they don't already have some service online that goes and shops for you wherever you shop ... kind of a '

'--you can make such an arrangement with neighbors so that each of you does all the shopping for the group when it's each's turn.

9. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    Going to the grocery store is one of my least favorite tasks of all time. If it were offered in my area I would take advantage of it for sure.

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually order groceries on Amazon, but occasionally I win Amazon gift cards at work and if I can't find anything else I want I order a few groceries. It was actually pretty awesome. When they came in it was convenient to have them without having left the house. Typically I don't have the foresight to order online because I just buy stuff as I need it and don't have time wait for delivery.

11. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Online grocery shopping is big business here in the UK, i have only used it myself occasionally but have found it to be very efficient and reliable, you can choose a time slot to suit you and it will arrive at your door. The only downsides to the service are that there is a £5 delivery charge and if an item is out of stock it will be substituted for a similar item. This may not be to everyone's taste.

I take a long term view of internet shopping and while it has many advantages it will do nothing to help our carbon footprint. More lorries and vans than ever are taking to the road, with the explosion of Amazon for example it has meant that postal workers now work from vans instead of bicycles, so there are thousands of extra post vans spewing diesel in to the atmosphere. The knock on effects of online shopping should not be overlooked.

12. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    I order groceries online when I need to. Otherwise, it's easier and quicker for me to simply go to the store. In most cases, I only order groceries online when I have to, or if the weather's bad. Sometimes, you get discounts for shopping online, too!

I also do this when I know that I have a party in about two days, and if I need to buy a lot. That way, I don't have to carry tons of plastic shopping bags.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Buying groceries online can be handy, but I am not too keen on it. I love grocery shopping and I really take time to see and read the labels of the products that I am going to buy especially when it comes to the expiration date. The longer expiration date, the better. I make sure that everything is worth my time and money.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think. I'd ever be fully comfortable with buying my groceries online either, but I suppose I would for a few packaged items that would be difficult to mishandle, such as canned goods and bags of chips. For produce I'd much rather just go to the market myself just so I could check and ensure the quality of what it is I'm buying.