Comparison Websites

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by pwarbi • Mar 26, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    There was an article published recently saying that most of the comparison websites that people use arent exactly all what they seem.
    Some of them are actually paid by certain companies to promote different deals at certain times of the year. Surely this isn't working foir the good of the consumer like they advertise?
    Has anybody used any of these websites to get a better deal than what they can get by going direct?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use these sites when my policies come up for renewal but I had no idea that they did not operate independently. I had always thought I was getting the lowest price but thinking about things, it's no real surprise that some companies receive preference in the results rankings. I wonder if they ever go so far as to omit cheaper deals to trick people into taking policies out with others?

Maybe we need to start thinking for ourselves on this matter agin, rather than getting sucked in on the promise of a free meerkat stuffed toy!

3. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    It all depends on which comparison website you use. There is no doubt that some (maybe most) of them are paid to advertise specific companies, but there are surely some legit sites out there that truly want to help consumers find better deals.

The deceptive information on the websites that get paid to advertise can also be easy to verify if you pay attention to certain details. With web hosting comparisons for example, they may give their clients' competitors a lower bandwidth than what they actually have, or show prices that do not reflect the actual subscription fees.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use these websites quite a bit, mainly because of convenience, or lazyness! Its just easier than ringing round the sifferent companies yourself. I have found recently though, that if you so take the time, you'll get the same deal, sometimes even cheaper if you deal directly with the company.

5. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I have never used a comparison website. I always think I should but then I never get around to doing it. This doesn't mean I don't do my research, but I just do it the old fashioned way by calling each company or going site to site to find good deals. I feel like sometimes, these days, you can only get good deals by using the comparison websites though. There are so many advertised on television, the computer, etc. I suppose people are going to start comparing comparison sites!

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also use comparison websites for reference but it's just one of my many references. After I've chosen a couple, I will then search for reviews from independent blogs. If reviews were not available, then that's the time I'll ask around offline. :) (But this process is only applicable when I'm buying something really pricey. :D)

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    We could set up a comparison website to compare comparison websites! That could work! Although it could start to get a little silly. I guess it all depends on why the site as have been set up, if its purely to make money then I guess they're going to be influenced by certain companies?

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why am I not surprised?! In this day and age where nothing is what it seems online, it comes as no surprise. We now have sites, companies and authors that pay people to write dishonest and glowing reviews on their behalf. Then you get companies which will also write negative reviews to smear their competitors.

When I used to do a lot more online shopping, some of these these site comparison sites used to annoy me when they'd advertise promotions and sales; and when I got re-directed to the site, I'd find no such promotion or sale existed! That's just one pet peeve I have about them.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I've also been down that road looking for deals that are advertised but don't exist. Or if they do theyre not as they was advertised.
    Buy one get one free, that sounds like a good deal, you jump through hoops, filling in alsorts of information only to be told you have to buy 67. And then you get another 67 free, you can't actually buy just one! So while it is technically buy one get one free...it isn't!

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use comparison sites via quidco so you can usually get a better deal when they offer a cashback offer. I always compare the sites, but the cashback can be worth more than a slightly cheaper rate of a few pounds. I also look at the get out clause or contract terms and what is favorable.

11. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people these days go to comparison websites automatically when insurance renewal time comes around. These sites have been so heavily promoted that people just seem drawn to them and forget there are other options.

Most people are generally trusting in nature and don't consider that the people that own these sites are solely out for their own interests, not operating to help people. Comparison websites are useful and do save people money but you may not necessarily get the best deal out there and should be advised to check premiums independently. The comparison sites will promote which ever companies have paid them to do so, that's the way of the world.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the way of the world, more and more each day, it seems. I've kind of given up on such sites, because you never know what is legitimate any more. I find that by consulting my agent, and specifically asking for discounts, I can get a decent deal. I'm not shy about coming right out and asking, "What is the best I can get for the lowest cost?" I think a lot of people are put off about asking so directly, so it's easier for them to shop around on comparison sites.