Is Cable Really Worth It?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by rainbowfrog2 • Feb 10, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We have DirecTV and last month the rates increased. I switched to a cheaper package and my husband wasn't happy at all. So we switched to another package that didn't have all the premier channels included. The cost is less than before and the savings let's me continue my Netflix subscription. So we are both happy campers now. He has his history, nature, and sports channels and I have my movies.

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We don't think cable TV is worth it. We use netflix and amazon prime instant video. We watch things online if we don't want to wait for the whole season to be in one of those places. Most channels post their current seasons on their website for easy viewing.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have a love-hate relationship with my cable so I kind of struggle with this question every single day. I like movies, so I have cable, but sometimes it seems like the movies that I watch versus how much I pay a month for cable and Internet just doesn't seem to add up. I pay $170. a month for both. I wonder if that is a lot compared to what other people pay?
    I don't know if it's worth it or not. If I got rid of it, I'd be able to put that money elsewhere. I have Netflix, and I watch it sometimes, but not nearly as much as I watch cable.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK I pay £115 a month which works out about the same as what your paying, $170 so I'd say that's about an average price.
    But then I subscribe to netflix aswell so add another 8 on top of that...

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, so, you seem to be one of the only people on this thread who likes cable as much as I do, lol. So let me ask you a question (if it's not too personal).
    What company do you have, and about how much do you pay for your services a month?

I'd like to know because you have a lot more channels than I have, but the few that I have cost a lot in my opinion.

Almost everyday I consider getting rid of my cable due to the cost. I pay $170 a month for my cable and Internet. I get movies on Encore, and one other movie channel, but no HBO etc.

6. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Where I used to live, it was quite cheap, to be honest, but not that selective. I actually didn't even like it; I would've picked Netflix at anytime of the day, no questions asked.

7. CamdenB

CamdenBNew Member

Threads:
    I think people are moving away from cable in favor of Netflix and other streaming services. On cable you are able to watch sports and live TV, but it seems as if online streaming is replacing these benefits as well. Altogether, I would not recommend getting cable.

8. ColBatGuano

ColBatGuanoNew Member

Threads:
    Cable television? A nearly total waste. Cable Internet? Oh yes. In fact, it is the only high speed in some areas.

9. VictorSalza

VictorSalzaMember

Threads:
    I think cable is still a good option. I only have the basic package. No movie channels or any of that. I like watching television. Especially live sports. I'd miss basketball the most.

10. MMercury

MMercuryNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, for me at least, cable television is become more obsolete. I can get most of my tv shows online through legal sites like Hulu nowadays. I also like to watch Asian dramas from time to time and I have to use the internet for those shows because Asian dramas are not available on cable where I live. Not to mention sites like youtube and twitch which provide a lot of entertainment. Yeah, I could live without cable.

11. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:

I totally agree with you 100%, and think cable is a total rip off and a waste of time. They constantly show the same movies repeatedly, charge outrageous high fees, and never can be truthful when it come to the price they originally quote. I just invested in the Roku streaming device and its been wonderful. I also completed the 7 day trial period for Sling TV. Sling TV offer most of the basic cable channels for $20-$30 a month, and now offer HBO as an added channel for $15 a month. In my opinion, that is a big difference from $150-$300 a month with the cable companies. A friend of mines said she read an article about cable disappearing in the very near future.