Thoughts On Salaries Of Charity Ceo's???

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by joyful728 • Feb 5, 2015.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    If you go to charitynavigator.org or similar sites you can find out the salaries of many charity executive directors.

For example, the CEO of the Susan Komen foundation earns 506k+ and the president earns 606k+. The CEO of the American Cancer Society earns over 788k a year.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? To me that seems excessive. I mean the doctors who treat cancer don't even get half of that, yet the guy in charge of a charity earns 788k a year????

Thoughts?

2. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Well this is why I don't really donate to charities. Unfortunately you really can't trust what is happening with any money you donate. I've seen how money is mismanaged and squandered in the business world, so I don't see how it would be any different in a charity. Just the salaries alone show you they don't really exist for just philanthropic reasons. I know that sounds pretty cynical but I think unfortunately it's true.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I do think those levels are excessive. The argument is always about the need to attracting the best quality people for the top jobs, and if you want a charity to be as professional as possible you want to pay to do so. But I would rather pay towards charities that need the financial support rather than those that are clearly not strapped for cash.

4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I think 'charitable' institutions should reflect the name they profess to be doing: GIVING to the needy. These institutions were created for philanthropy. Sadly, the moneys earned through donations and give-away grossly banked into the CEOs pockets.

I heard about "the steps of a good man are ordered and their good works shall follow them". I'm into the "sowing and reaping" cycle of life, one way or another.

I hope that these 'greedies' who were put in the position to 'help' the needy will make a turn-around shedding genuine charity and good works.

5. frugalmarcus

frugalmarcusNew Member

Threads:
    This world is so full of conmen, sometimes they sit at the highest desks with the highest salaries.
    Even in charitable organizations.

This is why the consumer, or the donator, has a lot of responsibility with looking into the affairs of any organizations they might be donating money to.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don' think it's right at all which is why I don't donate money. I will donate my time or goods only. I get annoyed when there are cuts or staff don't get treated well in charity shops when the bosses are getting paid so much.

There are companies with good CEOs at a fraction of the cost, but it's not only experience that counts, but also ow passionate they are about the charity and it's aims.

7. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I have gone off tangent with this topic. I want to do better with this one. We can make a change in the trend with charity institutions. We can directly give to CFA fire departments, to orphanages, foster homes, to a friend with several children who's struggling with finances, your local church that do community services, to Recovery Centers and so forth.

I wish you good luck with the work of your hands!

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind that they have a decent salary, but the question is, what is decent? In my opinion, someone who seeks and accepts that type of position, should truly care about the organization and cause, not simply be looking for a well-paying CEO position. To me, that would be reflected in how the person lived. There's nothing wrong with having some nice things, and living in a decent home, but perhaps salaries (and accompanying benefits) should be capped at a certain level, in order to receive tax-free status. Often, with this type of position, the benefits far outweigh the actual salary they are paid, so in addition to looking at salary, I'd look for value of total compensation package, prior to making any donations. In case it wasn't clear, I think those salaries are ridiculously high.