Is Amazon Good For Finding Deals?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by rubik1 • Apr 26, 2015.

1. rubik1

rubik1New Member

Threads:
    From what I have seen loads of people use Amazon because it's quick and easy, although I don't know if they're always offering the lowest prices on the market, do you think that Amazon is good for deal hunting or if they're too mainstream to have to be competitive with their prices?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people prefer to buy from Amazon because it's highly unlikely that you will be scammed on Amazon. While yes, it certainly isn't the place for great deals if you were to compare the prices of products sold in Amazon against those of the same products sold in physical stores you'll find that they are cheaper. As it's a lot safer to shop from Amazon I'd have to say it is a good place for deals.

If you want the best deals though, you'd have to look around. There's no one site that offers the best deals on everything.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is my go-to to see if I can get a cheaper price on something. It is my price point check list, if that makes sense. Amazon is typically the lowest price, so when something is lower than Amazon, I assume it is a good deal. Amazon also has free shipping with Prime, taking away the shopping and shipping factor - time savers AND money savers. That counts big time for me. Anytime I can find the SAME deal or a better deal and not have to drive all the way to a store, I'm doing it.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are items that are definitely cheaper on Amazon, especially if you buy on Cyber Monday or during a Gold Box deal. If you factor in free shipping too, you can really get a lot of value for your money.

5. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    Although you can usually find some very good deals on Amazon, most people shop from this site because it is found to be more reliable as far as the quality and description of the product. They are very good with providing customer satisfaction.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think you get the best deals on amazon, most people shop on amazon for the convenience of being able to shop at home and have the item delivered to you quickly. I ordered a computer power pack and had it the next day, no traffic, no going out in the snow and now sales people trying to get me to purchase more items.

7. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I think eBay is better when it comes to finding good deals. Amazon is a bit lacking because it has more originality when it comes to items and sellers, meaning, producers and manufacturers also use it so the prices you see are not necessarily any different to the shop near to you, but if you look on eBay you can find discounts, and used items which are in good condition but prices go down.

8. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    Amazon is extremely easy and it is the cheapest place to shop for a lot of items, not all but a lot of them. What gets me with Amazon is the free fast shipping, I don't want to be gouged for some exorbitant amount on shipping after buying an item. eBay on the other hand likes to add as much shipping as it can because ebay gets a cut of shipping fees, which is a major turnoff.

Now that Amazon is moving into food and other items people actually need I predict a lot of other companies will feel the pinch and complain loudly about it, soon.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I would say yes on most items, especially those that are hard to find but there is one exception. College textbooks are one thing that are worth the research. My school usually has the highest prices and do not offer an electronic version. However, depending on the course, it may be worth it to rent books instead. Amazon has some hard copies and Kindle e-books for rent...which are cheap but Chegg and maybe Cengage sometimes have lower prices. I always check e-textbook and others for the best rate for each class.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of my shopping on Amazon, and I must say they have relatively low prices most of the time. I usually shop for video games and electronics in general, and I find great deals on them. I'm sure you could find somewhere that has the same items slightly cheaper, but for convenience's sake Amazon has very good value.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. The stuff that goes from Amazon directly is usually cheap, but the stuff that third parties supply could be pretty hit or miss. Some of their audio ewuipment in particular is pretty out there with price. I would recommend using some price aggregator like Google Shopping before you buy something from Amazon. You could find it even cheaper, depending on shipping.

12. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Google Shopping? I've never heard of it. Could you tell me more about it, or perhaps help me with it because I've never thought such a thing actually existed.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some great deals available on Amazon. Just be sure to check the shipping costs - sometimes these can be outrageous, turning a "bargain" into a mid-priced item. It's always worth checking if Amazon is indeed the cheapest option but 8 times out of 10, it will be.

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on my phone, so I can't get you the direct link, but just google for it. Shopping.google.com, maybe? It's a price aggregator listing various shops and their prices, so you cab quickly find a shop that has the cheapest price for the product you're buyimg. They also list shipping and such, so you don't have to look for it on the site.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon is a good place to find an average price of something as a benchmark. The important thing is the shipping costs and delivery times which can vary. I always look there to compare at least and put things in my wish list and then I can look at them later.

I still think it is a good place as it's reputable and often there are coupons and codes you can use which can save you money.

16. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow awesome. So is this like a comparison of all websites, or where it exists on all websites?

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's an aggregator. They take all prices of the shops they have added and list each individual shop's price, so you can see who has which item for cheapest and where your favorite shop stands. It's pretty useful for all purposes, really.

18. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    Before I buy anything on Amazon I always check on Ebay and price runner to see if I am getting a good deal. Sometimes I find that Ebay is cheaper and if it's from someone that has a good feedback I may then purchase the item on EBay.
    However with super saver delivery on Amazon it's often the case that if I add delivery costs Amazon works out cheaper.

19. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is a great place for bargains. They are not always the lowest price though, so it is worth checking around a little bit, especially if you are making a major purchase. I use Amazon for a wide variety of things from supplements to ballet clothes. I do feel more comfortable with Amazon sellers in general than I do ebay. Ebay has been over run with Chinese sellers, not saying they are all bad, but I've had a number of really bad experiences and am now unwilling to buy from China.

20. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's cool. I have noticed though, it doesn't have all of the websites so with that being said, there could still be cheaper.