Shopping Cart: Only Buy What's On The List

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Apr 27, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Going through the aisles in Woolworths in a stroll pace is somewhat therapeutic. Whenever that's the case, I expect my bill to go above the budget, with a cart full. I get to justify items I "suddenly need" that are not on the list.

Shopping in a hurry, get-it-over-with-it, only cuts down time but not the budget, without realizing it. Not only gives the children dizzying spells, shopping in a hurry has its bad side than good. In a hurry, I get three of this, four of that and five of that food I don't even let my children eat because I gave in to the Sale tag blaring at me.

So, what's the balance? Shop wise. Stick to the list!

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've completely changed my grocery shopping habits in the last 5 years and made savings a priority. I don't necessarily have to "stick to a list," so much as "know my price points." Knowing what a good deal is allows me to impulse buy when I see things on sale that might not have been advertised.

I also know when to stock up and when to get exactly what I need because the price isn't exactly right.

3. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    When I take my time and stick to the list, I usually save money. I've prepared my grocery list according to the store sales, assembled my coupons to match the sales, and I'm ready to go. When I'm in a hurry, I spend way more money because instead of forgetting things, I tend to grab more than I need. I'm not sure what I have at home, because I haven't taken the time to prepare, so I grab things willy-nilly hoping I'm getting it right and won't have to go back.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping with a list is the first tip I give anyone who asks me for advice on how to save money. I love lists anyway, so it’s only natural that I’ve always tried to shop with a list. It can work really well for clothes shopping, too; I keep a small running list of things that would fit in my wardrobe and diversify my outfits, so I’m not tempted to buy anything on impulse. Well, rarely tempted anyway.

Come to think of it, list-making in general allows me to window-shop without convincing myself I need all the things. Which is great, because I'm a champion window-shopper.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sticking to the list is the only way that I can manage the budget right now. It's a drag at times but it's only for the short term. I'm glad I've got into the habit now though and will continue to do so even when things become a little easier.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. It's why I usually try and eat a good meal first before I go grocery shopping because when I go in hungry I tend to be tempted a lot easier by extra items I could have easily just ignored. Although for the most part I'm not too regretful of these types of purchases since it's still food and I could still enjoy them but if I'm sticking to a budget it's not very practical to allow it to happen very often.

7. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I've also changed my shopping habbits over the past 5 years. I avoid processed foods at the grocery store and opt for the basics in bulk. I also avoid buying anything from certain companies that are proponents of GMO, although there are other worse companies who do not label that the food is modified genetically.

Less is more! I pay less and buy less in general and I no longer give my food waste to the city recycling trucks, I compost it myself and use it in a few potted plants that give me various vegetables. I harvest the seeds from what I grow, which I started from scratch using legacy seeds from a farm long ago. I then store the vegetables in the freezer until I'm ready to cook them.

I feel better and have more energy now than I ever have, and more money too, that can't all be a coincidence.

8. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, supreme jealousy that you have Woolworths, Editors. We don't have them anymore in the UK. They are sadly missed because there is nothing quite the same as a Woolworths store. About general grocery shopping though, I try to stick to a list but I can't resist the offers at the end of the aisles. BOGOF, 50 percent extra free, buy 2 get one free - they all tempt me. I find that I hardly ever go shopping without buying a special offer that I didn't intend to buy. Even if I have eaten a big meal before going shopping, I still succumb.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not go shopping very often, when when I do go for myself, I always have a list. I am not the biggest fan of shopping as it is. That's any kind of shopping, whether it be food shopping, clothes shopping, or vehicle shopping. They are all a hassle if you ask me. I go straight to the areas that I need to visit, and then I get the hell out of there

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with you, and this is something I've come to master during my lean times LOL Yep, having little money to play around with helps me guard against over spending! I have never stuck to the shopping list as rigidly as I do now, even cutting back on my seriously frugal list, and it really saves me a lot of money :)