Which Charities Do You Think Are The Best Ones To Donate Clothing To?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by joyful728 • Jun 24, 2015.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I know that some charities (such as Goodwill) resale the clothing. But others will give it out to people who are truly in need. Which agencies do you think are the best to donate to? Thanks

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I always donate to Savers. They resale the donations but the donator gets a discount on their next shopping trip. I swear I love that place more than Goodwill because they have the cutest stuff. There are tons of name brands that are gently used, the store tends to be cleaner than my local Goodwill and the store doesn't smell like mothballs. I have found some great items and the prices are unbelievable.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it matters, but some charities will sell them on to recycle places if they can't sell them or transfer them to another store. My parents work as volunteers and sometimes if other stores don't have enough stock it gets transferred automatically.

I would take it to a charity that you like, because it's the thought that matters. You could take it to a local homeless shelter or Salvation Army who may give the clothes to the homeless instead.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Recycling clothes is BIG business here in the United Kingdom and gangs are actually STEALING them in order to sell to recycling companies.
    • Clothing recycling bins (big metal bins that are normally situated next to bottle banks) are regularly raided.
    • Charity shops find bags of clothes left outside their shops are stolen in the night. Very few of them even put clothes on display outside these day.
    • Houses inundated with leaflets asking for spare clothes to be left outside their front doors in refuse bags and white vans turn up and take them away. Many of them falsely represent a charity.
    I take unwanted clothes into charity shops while they are open.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to give them directly to those in need rather than to a reseller who picks and chooses what they want first before putting the leftovers on the rack. Some people don't even have the money to go there to purchase clothing anyway. The last place I donated clothing to was a womens shelter. They are in need of many things, not just clothing, since they left a bad situation with literally nothing but themselves and their children if they have them.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't trust in most charities out there, particularly those that have children as their target group to help (if they really do it) because seems to work around hired-mourners pleas to touch people's heart to get them giving money more than anything else.

However when it comes to donate, I do it to either the Salvation Army or going to churches in poverty areas, where I know whatever I'm going to give, will be given to people who is really in need and approach to this places for help.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My mate's girlfriend does this. Every six months or so she will have a big clear out and will donate any clothes, toys, books, DVDs, make-up and bathroom products to the local women's shelter who are always very grateful. Worth considering.

8. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of donating to women's shelters and Youth emergency shelters. They always need so many things, they will accept any kind of food, toiletries and clothing. It seems like they always have someone who can wear whatever size of clothing and shoes that are given to them. I also like donating to local churches who give the items away instead of selling them. I don't care much for the Goodwill stores in my area.

9. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I donate my clothes to the local soup kitchen. They not only feed the less fortunate they also supply them with used clothing free of charge. I like that they are not reselling the items but just giving them to people in need. They, also, except household items so anything that I am not using I feel confident dropping it off there knowing it is being given to somebody who really needs it. I have donated to the Salvation Army in the past but I feel it is going to better use when I drop it off at the soup kitchen. Also, donating items to local churches is also a great idea. They usually know the families in need and are able to help them out with your used items.

10. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I would check to see if there are any homeless shelters where you live or organizations that help abused women or children and directly donate to them. Animal shelters are also a good place for things like blankets and towels.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My city has a yearly drive for gently used sweaters, blankets, gloves etc. to keep the homeless warm so I save winter items for that drive. Everything else goes to Goodwill because I still believe in their mission of job training for the handicapped.