Grocery Store Online Shopping

Discussion in Online Shopping started by tasha • Jun 10, 2015.

1. LokiLoki

LokiLokiNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I agree with you on that, Diane. I'd be really worried about what happened to Tasha and eggs arriving broken. I just imagine the egg goo getting on everything.

I don't mind popping in for the odd thing - so it would be great to be able to get the staple things delivered. I was thinking about trying Walmart's delivery for dog and cat food and maybe kitty litter... but I also see now that you have the option of ordering things like peanut butter and spices. I think it would be a good idea for the bulkier things. But I also don't drive so that is definitely where the appeal is for me. I might give it a go the next time...

2. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    It was a big mess and they just deliver and leave so you are left with a nice big surprise and groceries that you have to either throw away or go back to the store with. I like that we can order whatever we want but I also enjoy buying monthly groceries as this is more cost efficient and definitely cheaper to go and do myself.

That is a pleasure and hope you find some Yosh.

Dreeklass yes I do prefer to pick my own things as you always find the better deals yourself and once you are at the store you might change your mind and feel like some other brand. It is convenient but you are better off doing it yourself.

#22Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, well I definitely wouldn't want the broken eggs. Another thing they would do is unload the boxes outside my gate, instead of by the door, which is tantamount to leaving them by the curb, and is unacceptable, in my opinion. I ordered them online so I would have less carrying, since I'm not able to transport heavy items, yet they seemed to go out of their way to make it more difficult.

It's definitely handy for cat litter, cat food and other bulky items, but they stopped carrying the litter I needed online, and without that, I would have had to pay delivery charges, since the total was below the threshold for free shipping.

4. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I think its safe to say that the shopping experience is best done at the shops! I have also tried to buy shoes and clothing online which I will NEVER do again ever as if the size is wrong it can take a month to get the right thing and it just doesn't have to be so long. It also never looks like it does on the catalogue.

5. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I could never do grocery shopping online unless I wasn't able to get around and didn't have any help. I prefer going to the grocery store when I go grocery shopping. I also think it's better this way so that you can see what you are getting.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I actually hate shopping. I really dislike it, whether it be shopping for clothes, furniture, or food. Eve though food shopping is the lesser of those evils. But I just don't like it. But I still prefer to shop manually, rather than shopping online. I just feel more secure being able to see the food and making the choices as to what I want.

7. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping for clothes and other items when I am in the mood and have extra money to spend, but how often that happens? nearly never as you always have to look for the budget items and wait for sales to be able to afford living and lifestyle.

8. Heydude41

Heydude41New Member

Threads:
    I recently started shopping online for groceries and now I love looking for good deals. There's a few start ups that work well. If you're in Texas try

. Also use code OSCAR15 for free delivery.

9. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I really do wish that Amazon Fresh delivered in this part of the country
    I can't drive so it would be nice to get the stuff that I need without having to wait on someone to take me to the store.
    I think we have a grocery delivery service around here but I haven't tried them out as of yet, I wanna keep searching.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It is big business here in the United Kingdom, but I hate doing it because if you order an item and the store doesn't have it then they will replace it with something they believe is similar and nine times out of ten it is a replacement that is NOTHING like the original item you ordered.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK there is so much competition that every major supermarket offers delivery and they always do offers like free delivery or money off your first order. Because of social media, a bad experience can effect them so many do have 'carry to kitchen' or will replace anything broken. Delivery men wait until the customer is happy so things are slightly different in the UK.

In the US it is still to take off though and it depends on what stores will deliver to you as well.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd be up for it but I don't know if I'd want to use it for everything. I think it's best to just use services like these as a supplement for when you want a small amount of items delivered but if you need to buy things like meat or vegetables I think it's still much better to be right there to inspect the quality for yourself. Maybe if the grocery store was able to produce a very uniform product each time when it comes to these items I'd be much more willing to get into it.

13. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I really like to inspect the goods myself and also price check because it does cost more sometimes when you are dependent on others to make the choices for you.

14. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    Because I don't drive and have a volunteer who takes me to the grocery store once a week, I do a lot of online shopping for items that are normally found in the grocery store. Things such as Scott toilet tissue, laundry soap, liquid fabric softener, baby wipes (for cleaning), body lotion, baby shampoo (for me), Sparkle paper towels, six-packs of bottled salad dressing, and a few more.

I buy this from Wal-Mart, as they offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Their prices for these items are much cheaper than buying in a grocery store.

Many years ago I had Safeway delivery groceries to me. Their delivery costs were not too bad, but they were frequently out of items in my list. The store that delivered to me was a small one and they didn't do much volume. I planned on meals and when an item was not on the truck, it was a bit of a pain to do up a different plan.

A few times, I found items I did not order, that were supposed to be for someone else. Big hassle. Calling them up, explaining what's what -- then waiting for the driver to come back to my house for a pickup.

I've learned that for me, I'll do my grocery shopping in person, but for items such as those listed I can get at Wal-Mart cheaper, it pays off in the long run, especially with free delivery!

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have Amazon Prime, so we have free shipping on most products that we buy. I get all of my toilet paper, paper towels, and things like that from Amazon, and also save by doing the "subscribe and save" option.
    As far as actual food goes, usually I can get that cheaper right here at the store, and in the quantity that I want it.

I do love flavored coffee, and when I am ordering something else from Amazon, I always check out the Coffee Fools flavored coffee. Although it is usually $12-15 for a package of it, they will usually have some on closeout for $3-5 instead.
    Since it is an add-on item, I have to order it when I am buying something else, and the total has to be over $25 (including the coffee) for it to qualify.

I usually check both options to see whether I can get something cheaper from the grocery store or from amazon, and then order accordingly.

16. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    My friend in California has Amazon Prime, and last night we checked his prices on Amazon.com where he purchases toilet paper, paper towels, and dry goods against Wal-Mart.com (where I buy). He bet me his prices were cheaper. Not.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We must have lucked out when we used to have home delivery service for our shopping in England. We never had anything arrive broken, not even the eggs. Our main complaint was the fruit and veg not being the best. But when we realised, we stopped ordering the produce. Or alternatively, we'd go with the posh store Ocado, which is more expensive but well worth it. With them, everything was spot on!

We guarded against receiving alternatives where something was out of stock, by indicating we'd rather go without than have alternatives. There was a button you had to tick.

18. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    We have the same here at Safeway.com if you wish to get an alternative item you can indicate with a tick on the button. I did that one time, and was surprised that the item substituted was just as good as what I wanted, but the bad news was it was much more expensive for me. I never did that again. It's really taking a risk with the person doing the shopping for you. Who knows? If you wanted a certain brand of dog food and the store was out of stock, and they substituted cat food, and you didn't have any cats. I guess you could donate the cat food to a pet shelter!

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @tispiegel....That's how I learned, too! I realised that it was better for me to go completely without rather than agree to a substitute because it was either more expensive or of a lesser quality. That's the disadvantage of home delivery shopping. No matter what, we seldom got everything on our list :(

20. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    I have never used online shopping for groceries, as I am a frugal person and tend to price match and use coupons for many of my items. Also, most of the items I am purchasing are fresh foods, which I believe are not shipped or if they are, I would worry that they would be marred in some way. I like to feel the fruit and vegetable and see with my own eyes. That being said, there are times which I don't have time and find myself visiting a store late at night. Perhaps, I should resort to these online stores for those times.