What is the one product that you bought that was utterly disappointing?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by brandon0818x • Jun 8, 2014.

1. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    Oh no! I didn't mean to find out like that! I meant if she found out it wasn't really meant for necks and throw it away.
    God, you've made me picture some awful stuff in my head, I'm going to need eye bleach for that.

2. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    I remember buying a Sham Wow from the advertisement I saw on television one day. The infomercial made it seem as though it was so highly absorbent and could withstand multiple uses.

Let me tell you, it was not very absorbent and ripped the first time of use. After spending 30 dollars I felt scammed and called to get a refund and to my disbelief was not offered one as I thought the policy stated I should.

I will never buy anything from television again. I have to see our in person! Besides, there is a reason for them doing infomercials abd not selling it directly in stores! Something to think about!

3. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    Yeah my mom said the same thing when she bought one. It was just like any absorbent fabric that she could buy for 2 dollars. Wasn't worth the money spent on it at all.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wasn't crazy about the pasta set that I bought from the TV. I remember the pots bent after a few uses. I still actually have one of the lids from that set which comes in handy from time ( it is kind of cool because it has holes in it for drainage) but overall it wasn't worth the money at all, because with the shipping it was more than 20.00 and I only got a few uses out of the pots...and the pasta server.

5. Bonnie

BonnieNew Member

Threads:
    One total flop would have to be the Eggies I ordered. For the life of me I'm not sure how these things are better than just plain boiling your hard boiled eggs. I was thinking it was going to be a time-saver because I wouldn't have to spend time peeling eggs. Also thought it might be easier on my hands. Let me tell you, none of those things were even close to happening with the Eggies!

They are basically little plastic molds that you crack an egg into and then boil that in water and then boom, the egg comes out all nicely done without any effort at all. The stupid little contraptions were so hard to put together it was ridiculous. Then you are supposed to grease each egg cup. Then when you think you have them together they fall apart and won't fit properly. By now, you have spent 40 minutes trying to prep the eggs to be hard boiled. Easier.....nope.

6. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Not me, but my little sisters. They hounded my mom to get those carpet-slider shoes they saw on TV. She eventually gave in and shelled out the $30 to order a pair. They sucked! You could've put oil on cardboard and duct taped them to your feet and had a better experience.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a set of non-stick pans before, I know not the best things to buy online, they were fine when they arrived and they seem to be durable and high quality. After a few days of use the non-stick coating just scraped off the surface when I was cleaning the damn thing, lucky for me I wasn't cooking at the time the damn thing slid off.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This is why I usually just wait for the stuff to appear at Target or CVS so I can check it out in person.

Some of the crappiest ones I've bought in recent years:

- Infomercial plastic wrap cutter, I can't remember the name of it, but you were supposed to take the plastic wrap roll out of the box and put it in this thing instead, and it had a push down toothed blade on it which would cut the sheets for you cleanly. The whole thing was so cheap and flimsy, the lid would pop open and the rollers would pop out when you tried to pull some plastic wrap out. It was worse than using the cardboard box the plastic wrap came in.

- Aero knife. Admittedly, I do still use this to cut tomatoes, but that's about all it's good for. It's not even a sharpened blade, it looks like it was stamped out of a piece of sheet metal. And it's hollow blade design literally serves no functioning purpose, despite what the commercials state. All they were doing was saving on the amount of metal used to make the blade, plus it's so light weight that it's not balanced properly like a good knife would be.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My parents once bought one of those ab machines and I was actually excited to try it out for myself but when I finally got to I found out that it was just made of cheap plastic and it didn't feel good to use it at all. It really felt silly to use it and now looking back I'm thinking it probably didn't really work as well as they advertised since if it was a good design then it would still be used until today but it's instead been forgotten with time. Now I'm very skeptical when it comes to exercise equipment being sold on tv.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Sham Wow for me, too. I didn't get it for myself, but for my mom, who was as amused by the sales guy (Vince, I think his name was?) as anything else. Ordered her the thing and it was dead after two days, and was nothing special in that short time. What a waste of money.

Funny, too, 'cause 'sham' is right there in the name.

11. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    I was so disappointed in those waggle wobble balls for dogs. Everyone I talked to said they were strong and their dogs loved them. My love loved it and played it with for about an hour until she bit a big hole in the side of it. It was a total waste of 15 dollars.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't count the number of products I bought that caused me disappointment. From shoes that didn't fit to dresses that easily ripped to eyelid tapes that have remained unused even to this day. Some were bought online; some at malls and retail-wholesale stores. Anyhow, I'm a firm believer of things happening for a reason so I charge all my "mispurchases" to experience. I rarely have purchase problems these days except when it comes to food.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently bought one of those swiveling electric outlets that's supposed to let you plug things in sideways so that you can push your furniture back against the wall. It fell apart within 2 weeks and the third prong got stuck in the wall outlet. What a piece of junk.

14. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    It's kind of funny to see all the disappointing things people have bought. Whenever I see the infomercials they are quite tempting, but I always resist actually buying something. Reading the many replies to this post is a relief; I will probably never order any of those "As seen on TV" products.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My online purchases of dog shampoo and some other pet products are excellent and I have no complaint. But with the garden hose, we already had bought 4 times. The first 2 hoses are already gone with the wind and right now the 3rd hose is trying to say goodbye with a big bump that is waiting to explode. The 4th hose for the backyard is quite okay and we are very careful in using it. Now we are thinking of buying another one but maybe we would buy from the hardware (not in online store anymore) because the garden hose in the hardware is more expensive but durable.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just got done receiving some supplements, and they are for iron deficiency. They were absolutely useless, as the moment I took one I ended up throwing up, and had a really upset stomach at the same time. So I ended up depleted rather than stronger and more stable, which was why I purchased them in the first place.

17. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    There used to be this green feather duster that's supposed to be static to attract dust and dust bunnies but it didn't do that even after so many rubbings at the TV monitor. It did the job of dusting but the TV commercial looked pretty much a liar when they said that the duster works through static electricity. I don't remember how much we paid for it but it was a lesson for us and we never bought anything from the Home Shopping Network ever again.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently I've been buying kiwi with tough skins to peel. My little vegie peeler got dull, so I got out my spare and started peeling, but it wouldn't pee! It was a waste of money, buying this peeler for it just doesn't work. I like the peelers that you hold in your hand that is shaped like a u at the bottom with the peeler horizontal. This new veggie peeler that I bought has stainless steel and is horizontal the way I like it and I hope it works. The one that is horizontal with close together blades, are not worth buying at all, get the stainless steel ones with blades that are at least a quarter " apart, they'll work! Tried to get an American made one, but they were all vertical peelers and I don't use them. I found one that's stainless steel called Peeler No. 520, this works beautifully!

19. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    Pretty much any As Seen on TV cat toy. I've gotten quite a few, from the battery-operated toys that move on their own to scratching arches, and none of them really capture my cats' attention. A lot of them also turn out to be fairly flimsy and don't last very long.

Which is a huge disappointment, because every single one of them looks amazing and I race to the store to buy it to entertain my cats...

20. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a Yestel phone brand. It had a sleek flashy appearance and looked quite promising. After a short period of use, the battery could not keep for even a single day. Its webpage pagination was quite small. The bodywork also started falling off. I couldn't believe that I had zeroed on such a useless gadget. Never buy an item solely on the basis of its appearance.